Search

Is 64K better than First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

I flew BA177 last week (LHR-JFK) and was fortunate to have reserved 64K. This seat was all that everyone here has raved about. Extraordinarily private with amazing storage space. Compared to the mass of humanity that BA stuffs into its F cabin, the upper deck and especially 64K is an oasis by comparison... far more private and with much more accessible storage space than in F. Even better today as the only unoccupied seat in the UD was 64J. Fantastic service from our two UD flight attendants. And the DO&CO catering was very impressive. All in all, a terrific experience and a bargain compared to what BA wants for an F ticket. Some pics from my first 64K...

Followed by a glass of Burgundy, unfortunately not much better than room temp.

Showtime, BA Club World style...

For my starter, I went with the Spice-roasted cauliflower with beluga lentils, lime cream and fresh mint. Delicious.

My main, the Braised breasts of corn-fed chicken, braised pearl barley risotto, wild garlic. This was very good.

For dessert, the Warm stickey toffee pudding...

... was fabulous.

The cheese plate was really good.

Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It's a great seat (as are a few others on the Upper Deck - 62A/k, for example) - with the new catering and bedding, I really don't see much to prefer First for...I do like F for overnights since I sleep better on the F seat; and for a "treat" it's nice to have CCR and more fussy catering and better champagne/wine in First; but for many business trips I'm honestly happier in the better Club World seats, left alone and without too much complicated meal service
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: BA silver, Hilton diamond, Marriott titanium, IHG platinum
Yes...
pretzlaff, DCflyerAA-YX and nk15 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
You could have asked for ice with the wine...
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
On 747 it’s close but I’d always choose F.

Im not one who needs a lot of space or the levels of privacy a CW window seats offers over a 14 seat f cabin
Cymro likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I still like F.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This used to be a bigger issue during Old First's final days (e.g. no direct power supply), such that I would hope not to be upgraded to First. I'm more in 64A but essentially is why I have never paid or UuA'd into First, the right CW seat is a great way to travel. Even now I'm reluctant to accept opups to First on 747s. However two components also fell into place here, good (or at least reasonable) food, and a good crew. Even in World Traveller - and the OP will have to take my word for this - these components make flying a lot more enjoyable.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:02 am

Although I very much like the CW seat, I think the comfort - particularly sleeping - in a F seat is still significantly superior. To me nowadays that's the key reason for doing First.
dylanks, Tobias-UK and anniegray like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
No, sorry. For me an F window seat, at the moment, is still better than 64A/K
orbitmic and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
while i agree that everything on this trip really made it especially wonderful, i am still prone to choose first purely for personal reasons:

no eye contact with neighbor,
larger seat area,
USUALLY better and more personal service

that said, i'd never pay a significant premium on a LHR-JFK flight for F over 64A/K!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
One of my nicest BA flights was in an UD window seat - both because of the privacy and because the crew were fantastic. The other was in the nose when I had both 1 A and K, chasing the sunset over the Atlantic, but with poorer service than on the UD experience mentioned above.
tynmar likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
No, F is still better, even on the 747. Is it better by the same margin as the typical price? Er... not compared to the upper deck, probably not even the £200/20k avios sale fare that you can get sometimes. But I wouldn't turn down a free upgrade.

Meanwhile a good crew in CW is miles better than a bad crew in F, even on a 777.
orbitmic and chris87 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
I would always choose F over 64K. I find the F seat very much more comfortable for sleeping on.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
"Compared to the mass of humanity that BA stuffs into its F cabin" F..me... get a grip.
Head down to Y on a 787 and that might be stuffing people in.

Last week was my first BA 789 F and the aisle felt as tight as it gets, similar if sat in the middle on a 744 but I wouldn't call them stuffing people in. I didn't feel stuffed in today on a 777 either. 64K is nice yes but I wouldn't pick it over F UNLESS I wanted to decline all service and just sleep but then I find the seats rock and move if the person next to you moves a lot.
Calchas and watersign like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!

Truly the 64K question!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.