Search

Titanium reservation guarantee

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:34 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Titanium reservation guarantee

New experience for me: called to ask for a titanium guarantee.

Shows sold out online.

Call reservations: there is still a presidential suite available, so we can’t do an override. Can you book the presidential suite for me? No. You have to call the hotel. So you can’t book a room, but you won’t do the override? Yes.

Is this legit? Seems to violate the premise of the guarantee.

I remember in starwood days, they would book it and give you your corporate rate.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:53 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
The Reservation Guarantee is for standard rooms, not suite or specialty rooms. Also note that top level suites (like Presidential suites) quite often can only be reserved directly at the hotel and not the general Marriott reservations center.

With that said, if you are trying to use the guaranteed room reservation (48 hrs or more in advance), I would suggest using the online booking tool. It bypasses the hotel and the regular Marriott reservations center. Unless the hotel has received a waiver directly from Marriott for the night(s) you are trying to reserve, the online booking tool will automatically get you a standard room. Note this is part of the reason local hotel staff don't like the Reservation Guarantee as the hotel doesn't have any direct control over it and it can get them into oversold situations (even when the hotel management didn't want to do that.)
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:20 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by hhoope01
With that said, if you are trying to use the guaranteed room reservation (48 hrs or more in advance), I would suggest using the online booking tool. It bypasses the hotel and the regular Marriott reservations center. Unless the hotel has received a waiver directly from Marriott for the night(s) you are trying to reserve, the online booking tool will automatically get you a standard room. Note this is part of the reason local hotel staff don't like the Reservation Guarantee as the hotel doesn't have any direct control over it and it can get them into oversold situations (even when the hotel management didn't want to do that.)
Is there something special I need to? It doesn’t show anything available and I don’t see an override button.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're logged in and you try to make a reservation, a standard room should appear at a very high rate, and you don't get elite benefits either, but it should be refundable with the standard cancellation period. The "guaranteed" reservation must be made at least 72 hours in advance of arrival IIRC. Also IIRC minimum stay conditions can be imposed, so this could be why you're not seeing a room.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're logged in and you try to make a reservation, a standard room should appear at a very high rate, and you don't get elite benefits either, but it should be refundable with the standard cancellation period. The "guaranteed" reservation must be made at least 72 hours in advance of arrival IIRC. Also IIRC minimum stay conditions can be imposed, so this could be why you're not seeing a room.
Bolding mine. You don't get elite benefits on an override? I haven't heard that before. Not arguing-I just thought I have gotten them and no one has stated that previously to my knowledge.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:23 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It may or may not be a "very high rate". For a full service hotel, the rate will be their general corporate rate. And your correct on the 72 hours in advance. Thanks for the correction on that.

And I also have always received all elite benefits as well. I didn't see any mention of that stipulation in the T&Cs either. Maybe that was an old SPG rule (assuming it had a similar top level elite benefit)?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Bolding mine. You don't get elite benefits on an override? I haven't heard that before. Not arguing-I just thought I have gotten them and no one has stated that previously to my knowledge.
T&C seems to exclude "enhanced room upgrade benefits," but nothing else:

48-Hour Guaranteed Availability. Limited to Titanium Elite Member's personal guestroom. Guaranteed room availability for reservations booked at least forty-eight (48) hours prior to arrival and available when a Participating Property is sold out if the room is booked by 3 p.m. local time, forty-eight (48) hours prior to arrival, at all Participating Properties except resort hotels, Marriott Vacation Club Marriott Grand Residence Club, Design HotelsTM, and Vistana properties. Forty-eight (48) Hour Guaranteed Availability may not be available on certain limited dates (e.g., special events). Enhanced Room Upgrade benefits do not apply. Benefit cannot be used in conjunction with Free Night Award usage or any type of promotional or discounted rates. Member must pay prevailing rate at time of booking and length of stay requirements must be met. For Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability applies to studio rooms only.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I haven't had to use Titanium override for a while. Next week I'm traveling to Tel Aviv, and one of the hotels sold out. I couldn't book in on Concur, but I was able to book it via Marriott.com. The website didn't tell me it was Titanium override. How do I know if I won't be able to get a room upgrade?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by naumank
I haven't had to use Titanium override for a while. Next week I'm traveling to Tel Aviv, and one of the hotels sold out. I couldn't book in on Concur, but I was able to book it via Marriott.com. The website didn't tell me it was Titanium override. How do I know if I won't be able to get a room upgrade?
If you try to make a reservation without logging in and the Bonvoy/Starriott website says that the hotel is sold out, that's a good indication that you have an override. However, hotel inventory fluctuates, so the test is to do this at the same time as your reservation is made. OTOH, if you do this exercise later and see a lower rates, you can cancel the override reservation and rebook it using the rate you found.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m considering a trip to a location with a limited number of hotels available, during a special event. The titanium guarantee is giving me the rack rate, which, all things considered, I might be willing to accept.

My question is, do hotels generally reserve a couple of rooms for titanium bookings during special events, or am I basically ensuring that they’ll have to walk somebody if all travelers appear for their reservation? I’d hate to think that I might be forcing some family to drive 40+ miles to a hotel with availability.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I’m considering a trip to a location with a limited number of hotels available, during a special event. The titanium guarantee is giving me the rack rate, which, all things considered, I might be willing to accept.

My question is, do hotels generally reserve a couple of rooms for titanium bookings during special events, or am I basically ensuring that they’ll have to walk somebody if all travelers appear for their reservation? I’d hate to think that I might be forcing some family to drive 40+ miles to a hotel with availability.
It is still comical to me that people think we “hold” rooms. The goal of any hotel is to sell all rooms at the highest rate possible. If we held rooms for some memeber who may or may not book we would be doing our owners a disservice.
jaejaez likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
I'm interested in using this for a stay in a few months during the Vietnam F1. Currently seeing no availability at any price at the JW, which is the hotel nearest to the course. Does that mean I need to reach out to my ambassador or that Marriott has approved it to be blocked for the duration of the race and I am out of luck?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by newshound
I'm interested in using this for a stay in a few months during the Vietnam F1. Currently seeing no availability at any price at the JW, which is the hotel nearest to the course. Does that mean I need to reach out to my ambassador or that Marriott has approved it to be blocked for the duration of the race and I am out of luck?
Its likely they got a special event exemption for the FI. Not saying you shouldnt ask, but corporate approves the exemptions. My guess is that they really are sold out.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:58 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by newshound
the JW, which is the hotel nearest to the course.
that overlooks

I attended last year. I was able to use my corporate rate. It allowed me to save a few hundred/night and avoid the non-refundable restriction.

I reached out to the GM several weeks prior and was apologetically told no upgrade was possible because of the full house. When I checked in, there was note on my reservation, directing the agent to speak with a manager. The manager found a Club Premier room overlooking the circuit.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:50 am

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by dayone
that overlooks

I attended last year. I was able to use my corporate rate. It allowed me to save a few hundred/night and avoid the non-refundable restriction.

I reached out to the GM several weeks prior and was apologetically told no upgrade was possible because of the full house. When I checked in, there was note on my reservation, directing the agent to speak with a manager. The manager found a Club Premier room overlooking the circuit.
I assume you're thinking of the Singapore GP, this is the first year of the Vietnamese

Actually I live in SG and am thinking of booking a room at the JW for the F1 this year, certainly cheaper than buying tickets for a couple!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.