Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non refundable ticket

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Non refundable ticket

Hi. I’m sorry if this question has been posted many times but thought I would ask on the forum anyway. I’ve tried phoning BA but couldn’t hold on much longer. If I have a non refundable, non transferable ticket is it really impossible to do either even if I pay an admin fee.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You can get a refund of proper government Taxes (so UK APD / US Transportation taxes etc) and airport fees but that's it. You'll pay an admin fee for this £35 comes to mind.

You can't transfer it to anyone else as total name changes aren't permitted.

You can do this on line no need to speak to anyone.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
£15 admin fee if done online, £30 on the phone.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:43 am

Many non-refundable tickets issued in the US allow value to be retained and applied to a future booking.

Where was your ticket issued?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You must review the fare rules for your specific ticket. As noted above, POS may matter. The fare rules will provide you with a simple answer. Unfortunately, if you did not save those at the time and are not familiar, it may be best to call. Whether it is worth the time on hold depends on you.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by lovetoholiday
If I have a non refundable, non transferable ticket is it really impossible to do either even if I pay an admin fee.
As mentioned by others, apart from a few cases in the US, non-refundable and non-transferable are exactly what they say that they are. That said:

- Many will be changeable including non only dates but also to other destinations so if you have another trip to book this may come in handy,

- Of course, depending on the reason why you need to cancel, your travel insurance may be helpful
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies. The ticket was purchased in the UK.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
If I have a non refundable, non transferable ticket is it really impossible to do either even if I pay an admin fee.
The ticket was purchased in the UK.
One thing you don't say is that the ticket is non-changeable.

If the ticket is changeable, then you can save much of its value by making use of the change facility. If the ticket is changeable, you can usually change flight, date, cabin and route. If you have no current plans for a future trip, you can still save its value by changing it now to some future date to park it, and then making a second change when you have a new trip in mind. There are technicalities about these steps, and you won't get any refund of the base fare already paid, but broadly speaking I think that this should be possible to do this as an alternative to just throwing away what you've already paid.

If you can't now make the trip for an insured reason, then of course the best thing to do may be to cancel the ticket, get back what taxes, fees and charges you can, and ask your insurer for the rest of the insured amount.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Click on the apply for a refund button on Ba.com and select the booking. Whilst it says there is a feee for the return of taxes and charges I was pleasantly surprised not to have any deductions on a recent cancellation and with a very low base fare got virtually all my money back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.