Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does AA have the best Premium Economy to South America?

Does AA have the best Premium Economy to South America?

Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Question Does AA have the best Premium Economy to South America?

I'm shopping for flights from USA to/from EZE and SCL. It looks like AA offers the best long haul Premium Economy product.

Example: AA 992 (EZE - LAX) on a 787-9 has 21 PE seats 38 pitch and 19 width (source: seat guru), which looks superior to the PE product by UA and DL (and LATAM, which doesn't appear to have a PE product at all!).

I've not flown AA in many years so I have no idea. What's the best PE product to South America these days and why?

nrg
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Lots of information:

Boeing 787-8 / 788 w/ J20, Premium Economy / PE / PEY Discussion (refit completed)

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...

You might want to read comparable threads in the Delta and United fora, given some of us might not be able to give you feedback on their products, and it’s less our job to convince you to use a particular product than yours to perform due diligence to make an informed choice.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Having flown it last week LAX-DFW in a 789 the seat is really comfortable and is best compared to an up to date domestic First class seat. I can't comment on the soft product as it was domestic first class seat.

Last edited by enviroian; Jul 19, 2019 at 3:47 pm
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
As I have discovered for my trip to EZE, GOL would probably down on the list, some really horrid reviews......
Of the 3 I have used, my ranking would be Lufthansa, AA, BA.
Of course, only one of these would be a a normal choice from US
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by nrgiii

I've not flown AA in many years so I have no idea. What's the best PE product to South America these days and why?

nrg
AA/UA/DL all use the IDENTICAL PE seat. The seat is the same. The seat is the same. Its the same seat that AAL is putting into aircraft in domestic F as part of the "Oasis" downgrades. The only difference is that in the new "domestic First" the Seat has less leg room.

The ONLY difference, is that DL and UA have the leg rest on each and every seat. AA only has it on the first (bulkhead) row. So if you get the bulkhead on AA, its as good as DL and UA, but absent that, DL and UA are better.

Soft product? We just flew AA PE DFW-CDG and BCN-PHL, and the food was fine, wine was cheapo, blankets were nice. Just make sure to get the bulkhead on AA, and if you can't, I might go with DL or UA all things being equal.
AdamSouthFL likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by spin88
AA/UA/DL all use the IDENTICAL PE seat. The seat is the same. The seat is the same. Its the same seat that AAL is putting into aircraft in domestic F as part of the "Oasis" downgrades. The only difference is that in the new "domestic First" the Seat has less leg room.

The ONLY difference, is that DL and UA have the leg rest on each and every seat. AA only has it on the first (bulkhead) row. So if you get the bulkhead on AA, its as good as DL and UA, but absent that, DL and UA are better.
<snipped>
I don't like the footrest, so not really a benefit in my mind. But from my perspective, costs and timing would be the more important things, plus the whatever RDMs it might bring, since I am not chasing EQM or EQS for EXP. Of course nonstop from DFW-EZE has influence.....
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
AA has the best premium economy on USA to South America, but that is by default. AA has premium economy on most of its widebodies - only exception are the 767s which aren't used to SCL and EZE. DL and UA only have PE on some of their widebodies as of now - and who knows when they will start flying PE equipped planes to South America. Air Canada is also an option, but you have to connect in YYZ. Aerolineas Argentinas and LATAM don't offer PE.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spin88
AA/UA/DL all use the IDENTICAL PE seat. The seat is the same.
How do you figure? From what I see on seatguru.com AA has a superior seat.

Here's what I see:
AA 992 LAX-EZE (787-9) Pitch: 38 Width: 19
DL 101 ATL-EZE (A330-3) Pitch 35: Width 18
UA 891 IAH-EZE (A330-3) Pitch 34, Width 18

What am I missing?

AA also has something called "Main-cabin-extra", which looks like something between Y and PE?

nrg
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Austin787
AA has the best premium economy on USA to South America, but that is by default. AA has premium economy on most of its widebodies - only exception are the 767s which aren't used to SCL and EZE. DL and UA only have PE on some of their widebodies as of now - and who knows when they will start flying PE equipped planes to South America. Air Canada is also an option, but you have to connect in YYZ. Aerolineas Argentinas and LATAM don't offer PE.
Thanks, I appreciate the insight

AC flights to EZE also make a stop in SCL. I'm originally from Canada and I like AC but there's something to be said for getting where to your going with 1 stop, especially when traveling in Y.

nrg
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So far, AFAIK DL doesn't have PE to South America. PE (which DL calls PS = Premium Select, not to be confused with C+ which are just seats in the front of coach with more legroom even though different fare/booking classes are used) is available on the A350 and 777 aircraft while, for instance, DL uses the A330 for the ATL-EZE route. This is likely to change as DL reconfigures some 767 aircraft to have suites and PS cabins, but AFIK DL doesn't currently use the 777 or A350 on its South American routes.

ADDED: To be clear, the dimensions given above for DL 101/110, the ATL-EZE and vv route, are for C+ (NOT PS) seats. PS seats are wider than coach, for example 8 across in the PS = PE cabin versus a generous 9 across in C+ and coach on the 777. Essentially DL C+ is just what UA calls Y+ And AA calls MCE. These are NOT premium economy products.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Stop using seat guru. Please.
Air Houston and ijgordon like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reeg2
Stop using seat guru. Please.
What should we be using?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
DL and UA do NOT have PE to south america,yet.
Both offer economy seats with extra pitch only.

AA is the only one with true PE to EZE or SCL
enpremiere, TWA884 and sdsearch like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by nrgiii
How do you figure? From what I see on seatguru.com AA has a superior seat.

Here's what I see:
AA 992 LAX-EZE (787-9) Pitch: 38 Width: 19
DL 101 ATL-EZE (A330-3) Pitch 35: Width 18
UA 891 IAH-EZE (A330-3) Pitch 34, Width 18

What am I missing?

AA also has something called "Main-cabin-extra", which looks like something between Y and PE?

nrg
The dimensions you are giving for Delta are for what is called "comfort +/C+", which is what we call a Y+ product. Regular Economy seat, but extra legroom (and in Delta's case free ETOH and snacks). United does not fly any A330s, but if they showed a seat that was 18 x 34 it would also be an extra leg room seat, called "economy plus" or E+ in FT speak....

The issue is that some search engines will include C+ and E+ as options, even though they are NOT a "Premium Economy" product. A Premium Economy Product is basically a domestic First Class Seat with slightly greater 38" pitch. The Delta/UA/AA premium economy product all use the exact same seat, the B/E MiQ. This is also the seat that American is putting into domestic First as part of the downgrade in product with "Project Oasis"

If others says that UA and DL are not flying any PE product into S.America, I have no reason to doubt them. Unfortunately, you need to look really closely at any fare which purports to be "Premium Economy" before buying it, and make sure its actually a PE product (and delta is the worst with this).
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I've just finished flying AA's PE product between MIA and GIG on a B772.

While I can't compare AA's PE to that of UA or DL, I can agree with others that the seat is very comfortable and legroom (non-bulkhead) quite good. Also, with respect to personal space, there is enough separation between pairs so that is not an issue. Not noted in previous comments is the small State Street amenity kit, which is quite respectable and with the canvas case, quite repurposeable. The toothbrush is functional and hand lotion and lip balm are adequate for such a kit. (Socks and eyeshade also provided.) A 500-ml bottle of water is also supplied along with the pillow snd blanket package.

The two criticisms I have are about aspects of both the soft and hard products. While the main meal is a cut above coach, it is somewhat below business. But what really irked me was the use of plastic cups vs real glass wear for drinks and meal beverages. And a pre-flight offering of even water and juice (if not sparkling wine) would be an appropriate enhancement. As for the hard product, at least on the B772, there are no dedicated nor adjacent washrooms for this cabin. The closest washrooms are in the mid-section of the coach cabins and thus require a walk along a very narrow aisle. And when the cabin is darkened snd people are sleeping, this involves not tripping over blankets or hitting elbows and sometimes heads leaning into the aisle! (Some people did enter the business cabin to use the washrooms between the first and second J cabins and it didn't appear they were chastised by crew for doing so.)

As for the relative value between MCE and PE, that's another question since it comes down to the actual price and one's status. I've also flown MCE (to Europe on an A330) as well as to/from South America on the B773. In both cases I found the extra leg room made the flight a bit more bearable and as on all occasions I had an aisle seat with an empty seat next to me, I felt both personal space snd overall comfort was acceptable. The seat didn't cost me additional $s as I was an elite. Paying $150+ might be a different consideration depending upon what your original fare was. But there is a difference from one aircraft type to another. On the B773, the placement of MCE seats (aside from bulkheads and emergency exit rows, which I personally don't like because of the fixed seat divider snd the way the video screen and tray function) is awkward and don't correspond between window and centre banks. As well, I found most crews are unaware of these seats and thus have to be reminded you're in an MCE seat and are entitled to free hard alcoholic drinks on routes where there is a charge. And I found the A330 much better as MCE is s separate cabin (as it used to be on the B773s before PE) and has adjacent washrooms.

My PE fare was a ridiculously low U$600 rtn between YYZ-MIA-YYZ (in Y) MIA-GIG-MIA (in PE) so a no-brainer. Were it the more usual U$1200, I might have opted to MCE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.