Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

due to weather, agent rebooked me to wrong airport 7900 miles away, should I fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

due to weather, agent rebooked me to wrong airport 7900 miles away, should I fly?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA

many airports on the East Coast were hammered by bad storms... I got a text from AA telling me that I wouldn't be able to make my connecting flight. The website offered many free options to rebook. However, I wanted to fly out of a different airport in the same city, so I had to call and speak to a live AA agent on the phone.

Well.. 45 minutes later, I got the callback that I requested. The agent was super-nice and rebooked me out of the other airport that I requested. I thanked her and hung up the phone.

Later in the evening, I logged into the AA website and discovered something unexpected. I will need to my passport to fly on the new flight. The agent had mistakenly booked me to the wrong airport 7900 miles away. My original flights were just 1200 miles. Both my original destination airport and the wrong airport have the same three letters... like XYZ vs XZY. It's actually a frequent mistake that I hear airline agents make.

I did OLCI and it went through just fine. I"m wondering what happens if I actually board the flight. Will AA charge me after the flight? I do have my passport with me and the wrong airport does not require visa for US citizens.(edit: in my situation) I also checked my UA account. There are many available UA flights that I can use my UA miles to fly back to the US in a couple of days. I will only have to take two day work to make this.

Should I do it? I don't want to do it if it will cost someone her job....

Last edited by geometry; Jul 19, 2019 at 11:47 am
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I *think* you would be ok to fly the itinerary, I also *think* the agent is less likely to get reprimanded if you do in fact fly that itinerary instead of calling in to explain the mistake. Is the other airport a place you want to go? Do you need the EQMs?
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by donotblink
I *think* you would be ok to fly the itinerary, I also *think* the agent is less likely to get reprimanded if you do in fact fly that itinerary instead of calling in to explain the mistake. Is the other airport a place you want to go? Do you need the EQMs?
Cool ‘problem’ to have and great questions here. Please kindly keep us posted!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
wow take advantage of this mileage run! Do you have any status with American? What cities are we talking about here? 7900 miles?? LOL that's crazy!
Spiff, Duke787, AANYC1981 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by donotblink
so I should fly 7900 miles without saying another word to ensure the job security of the agent?

ok... I'll do it.... already booked the one-wary return using my UA miles... now I just have to find hotel for a couple of nights.

Originally Posted by enviroian
wow take advantage of this mileage run! Do you have any status with American? What cities are we talking about here? 7900 miles?? LOL that's crazy!
Interestingly, I was just wondering about that as well.. I fly AA very rarely and I have less than 1000 miles. (compared to 250,000 miles in my UA acct currently)

but are you guys sure that AA won't charge me somehow after they discover the error a few days or weeks down the road?

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 24, 2019 at 7:17 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:33 am
Suspended

OK is that Salt Lake City you are going but booked to Santiago de Chile?
shuuy, C17PSGR, deeruck and 14 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Wow, I wish I had the flexibility to consider something like this. I have no concrete knowledge on this subject but I would think if it's booked you will be just fine to fly. Please do keep us updated! Safe travels!
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by geometry
so I should fly 7900 miles without saying another word to ensure the job security of the agent?

ok... I'll do it.... already booked the one-wary return using my UA miles... now I just have to find hotel for a couple of nights.
If you're already rebooked then you're already rebooked, should be good to go! I would love to know what cities we're talking about here.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I wonder if I get a flight from DFW -> LAX canceled if I could get them to route me DFW -> HNL -> LAX
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I've been trying to figure this one out...best I've come up with so far is PGV --> PVG
moondog, wetrat0, mediator and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by aacar
I've been trying to figure this one out...best I've come up with so far is PGV --> PVG
I find myself now pulling up list of airport codes to try and figure this out!
SK, enviroian and nomadic.relief like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by aacar
I believe China would require a Visa?
Loren Pechtel and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
At a 7900 mile difference it's got to be Asia...

And if I were the OP I probably wouldn't share the cities...this is something the blogs will pick up on real quick which would likely poo poo the whole thing.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I believe China would require a Visa?
yep.

I think the poster above with the salt lake -- Santiago .....that sounds about right and easily confusing.
RoyalFlush and drussum like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
yep.

I think the poster above with the salt lake -- Santiago .....that sounds about right and easily confusing.
But not 7900 miles. The longest flight from ORD is HKG (which I believe doesn't require a Visa) but not sure what the US airport would be?

Edit - not sure if ORD flies direct to HKG on AA?
enviroian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.