Wiki Posts
Search

No one wants the middle seat on airplanes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
No one wants the middle seat on airplanes

I wonder if United is looking into Molon Labe Seating’s new seat design.

"It's still going to suck. Now it's going to suck less."

No one wants the middle seat on airplanes. This design could change that
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airplane-middle-seat-design-trnd/index.html
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by vanillabean
The article makes no sense. Put the middle seat back and lower so the passenger can reach the higher and more forward armrest? DO they expect the passengers to stick their arms straight out in front of them? What are they smoking?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I wonder if United is looking into Molon Labe Seating’s new seat design.

"It's still going to suck. Now it's going to suck less."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/a...rnd/index.html

Been around for years, appears no major airline has expressed any interest and I don't find that surprising
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/i...ss-hassle.html 2015 article
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
But moving the middle seat back a few inches allows for more space, so the company made the middle seat about three to five inches wider than the standard 18 inch seat.
Um, the standard seat is 17 inches, not 18, on most single aisle Boeings; and if they take "three to five inches" from the window and aisle seats, then those seats are now 15 or 16 inches wide.

None of this makes sense.

Looks like they've also abandoned the original idea of having the aisle seat slide in to widen the aisle at disembarking. I'm sure that was part of the reason why it's taken over four years to certify - there's no way they would be structurally stiff enough for crashes if they were on sliders.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Um, the standard seat is 17 inches, not 18, on most single aisle Boeings; and if they take "three to five inches" from the window and aisle seats, then those seats are now 15 or 16 inches wide.

None of this makes sense.

Looks like they've also abandoned the original idea of having the aisle seat slide in to widen the aisle at disembarking. I'm sure that was part of the reason why it's taken over four years to certify - there's no way they would be structurally stiff enough for crashes if they were on sliders.
Every pilot and copilot seat on commercial and private aircraft is on sliders.
milski likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT

Front-to-back, not side-to-side, yes?

And I would think that the two pilot seats are made to far stronger specs than passenger seats. And are far heavier.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Front-to-back, not side-to-side, yes?

And I would think that the two pilot seats are made to far stronger specs than passenger seats. And are far heavier.
Not in small private aircraft such as a Cessna. They are pretty light. Yes, forward and aft only in small airplanes
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not in small private aircraft such as a Cessna. They are pretty light. Yes, forward and aft only in small airplanes
You seem to be making the point that side-to-side sliding seats exist somewhere in aviation. Fine by me.

This thread is about new seats for commercial aviation, for passengers, in three-across seating arrangements. MY point was that it's highly likely these seats couldn't certify because they originally were set up to be on side-to-side sliders, and that likely couldn't meet safety standards.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,

True- but they are much beefier than pax seats. Not saying sliders cannot work, just that A does not necessarily = B.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:08 am

None of this matters, no airline has shown an ounce of interest in the concept. Almost anything can be built and certified, but if nobody wants it...
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:30 am

The only thing an airline wants is to make money, so they will keep the status quo. They would probably have switched to 4 across seating by now if our waistlines weren't going in the opposite direction.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by downinit
The only thing an airline wants is to make money, so they will keep the status quo. They would probably have switched to 4 across seating by now if our waistlines weren't going in the opposite direction.
Oh they'd stack us up like cordwood and load us onto pallets if they could!
downinit, DenverBrian, JBa and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Oh they'd stack us up like cordwood and load us onto pallets if they could!
I would'nt mind that as much, as least I would be able to afford a lie-flat on every flight.
Petdog, strickerj, 84fiero and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
They'd be better off ramping up the 'middle seat gets both armrests' marketing. There are too many selfish aisle and window PAX who think they are entitled to two.
strickerj and 84fiero like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I recall some people wanting a middle seat to increase their chance of finding a date or to have someone to talk to during the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.