Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada charging seat selection fees for Asia flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold

I just noticed that AC seems to be charging ~$50/segment for selecting a regular Y seat in TPAC flights....while pretty much no other carrier in the TPAC market is doing so; this is quite uncompetitive and instead of forking over $100 for seats I booked Delta instead. Why would they try to roll this out when the Chinese carriers are already offering a superior product at a lower price.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I just noticed that AC seems to be charging ~$50/segment for selecting a regular Y seat in TPAC flights....while pretty much no other carrier in the TPAC market is doing so; this is quite uncompetitive and instead of forking over $100 for seats I booked Delta instead. Why would they try to roll this out when the Chinese carriers are already offering a superior product at a lower price.

Were you looking at the Standard Fare. According to AC.com, there is a fee for the seats for those fares on International tickets.

Are the Chinese carriers or CX or BR charging the same fare for the same route (on the same dates?)

Looking at a random YYZ-PEK

This info is on the AC page https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...selection.html

Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
No only for basic. The route I saw it on was SFO-HKG. Though I have flown AC's dirt cheap fares to Asia many times with no seat selection fees and assumed they would never add them because their low cost competitor did not charge for seat assignments.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:54 pm
Suspended

No only for basic. The route I saw it on was SFO-HKG. Though I have flown AC's dirt cheap fares to Asia many times with no seat selection fees and assumed they would never add them because their low cost competitor did not charge for seat assignments.
Do you mean SFO-YVR-HKG?

Are the competitors you're looking at flying non-stop or via China?

Was DL's cost the same as the Chinese ?

Took a peek at SFO-YVR-HKG. Right, no free seat selection for Basic or Standard

Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
They don't charge it on all TPAC flights..only ones where "Basic" is one of the choices. Some of the other routes don't have Basic but have Standard as the lowest fare category. I know HKG flights have the basic fare, but I don't think thats the case to Japan/Taiwan/Shanghai.

PS-I was surprised to see them charging up to $292 for a preferred seat Toronto to Hong Kong? Really? $292 to sit in a seat with more legroom and less width due to the tray table? Unbelievable.

PS-on flights to HKG it did not show seat selection free for Standard, but when I clicked the seat map there was no charge for Standard, so not really sure what they are doing.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mapleg
They don't charge it on all TPAC flights..only ones where "Basic" is one of the choices. Some of the other routes don't have Basic but have Standard as the lowest fare category. I know HKG flights have the basic fare, but I don't think thats the case to Japan/Taiwan/Shanghai.

PS-I was surprised to see them charging up to $292 for a preferred seat Toronto to Hong Kong? Really? $292 to sit in a seat with more legroom and less width due to the tray table? Unbelievable.

PS-on flights to HKG it did not show seat selection free for Standard, but when I clicked the seat map there was no charge for Standard, so not really sure what they are doing.
Do they know what they are doing?

The screen shot I posted for HKG from the flight selection page shows Basic and Standard seats to HKG are not free on OP's route.
If you saw no fee on the seat map, well, who knows.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Do they know what they are doing?

The screen shot I posted for HKG from the flight selection page shows Basic and Standard seats to HKG are not free on OP's route.
If you saw no fee on the seat map, well, who knows.
If someone pays $292 extra each way to sit in a preferred seat Toronto to HKG, they should seriously think about getting a mental assessment done.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:41 pm
Suspended

If someone pays $292 extra each way to sit in a preferred seat Toronto to HKG, they should seriously think about getting a mental assessment done.
LOL.

I was actually replying to your line

.....but when I clicked the seat map there was no charge for Standard, so not really sure what they are doing.
where I assumed you were talking about AC
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I have two friends who recently paid $400 USD each for UA E+ on TYO-SFO.

Granted, they read it as "$40" when they clicked yes, but AC is by no means the most expensive "extra legroom" option.

And $400 + $400 may still be significantly cheaper than whatever the PY fare is. If you need the extra space, you go for the cheapest option.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have two friends who recently paid $400 USD each for UA E+ on TYO-SFO.

Granted, they read it as "$40" when they clicked yes, but AC is by no means the most expensive "extra legroom" option.

And $400 + $400 may still be significantly cheaper than whatever the PY fare is. If you need the extra space, you go for the cheapest option.
I suppose for some. I have only flown UA E+ once trans pacific but it sure cost a lost less than $400.

But at least on AC you get 125% miles for PE vs 25% (or maybe zero?) for basic. On a very long haul, that PE cabin can earn some decent mileage but obviously price is the main factor. Still bugs me how much they charge extra for PE on certain routes.

Last edited by mapleg; Jul 17, 2019 at 8:39 pm
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:41 pm

Lot's of tall non-frequent fliers will fork over that $292. They need the legroom to be comfortable-ish on a long flight, but not every tall person can afford premium economy or business.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by B407
Lot's of tall non-frequent fliers will fork over that $292. They need the legroom to be comfortable-ish on a long flight, but not every tall person can afford premium economy or business.
Ha ha , that explains it as I am not in the "tall" demographic. At least for flying it has some advantages.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:44 pm
Suspended

....Still bugs me how much they charge extra for PE on certain routes.
Yes, well, someone would explain the supply-demand-what-the-market-will-bear kind of thing to comment on pricing.

PE to YYZ-TPE, BR is consistently less expensive than AC and it's direct. For YVR-Asia routes it might be more interesting to compare, as AC is up against a very long list of airlines for direct and one-stop routes.

Anyway, if AC wants to charge for seats on Basic and Standard fares on some Asian routes, either it will cost them some business or it won't. Coin toss.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by 24left
Shouldn't TPAC be free then, according to above screenshot, since none of the Asian countries are in the list?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I guess they have to subsidize all those <$400 USA-China fares somehow! Add $100 for a seat to unsuspecting folk who got lured in by the initial price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.