Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denial of Mileage Plan Shopping Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Denial of Mileage Plan Shopping Miles

On May 29, I decided to take advantage of the Mileage Plan Shopping Apple 7X bonus offer and purchased a $3500 MacBook Pro. I expected to receive 24,500 miles. When the miles failed to post I followed the procedures prescribed on the Alaska Airlines website to elevate the issue. To make a long story short, I was summarily denied any miles with no real reason given. Mileage Plan Shopping, which is not part of Alaska Airlines, is difficult to communicate with, at best. I got nowhere with them after much subsequent back and forth so I contacted Alaska Airlines Customer Service. They said they'd help me as best they could to try to get a valid answer.

Today, I received what seems to be a final decision from Mileage Plan Shopping. They have denied my miles because I used the Government Store on the Apple website, which offers a discounted price. When you click the Government Store link, there isn't any indication that you are leaving the Apple Store. I received a receipt and the computer product from Apple and the credit card charge posted as Apple. I'm about to give up, but I hate to lose 20,000+ frequent flyer miles if I'm entitled to them. I'm wondering whether anyone has insight into, or experience with, my situation?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
I've been denied miles in the past for using a discount code I found online while still purchasing from the Mileage Plan shopping link. I believe they don't allow discounts or deviation from the standard link they've provided, and it looks like the Apple Govt store discount is technically a different "Apple Store" than the normal. Imagine someone/a computer is reviewing these to approve/deny miles, especially when it meets a higher threshold like this. If it had been a pair of Airpods, maybe they'd have just let it go.. You can keep trying, but you're probably not gonna get them to budge too much unless you can confirm you're within the terms/conditions.
FAQs: https://www.mileageplanshopping.com/faq____.htm
T&Cs: https://www.mileageplanshopping.com/terms____.htm
BeeNYC likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
I wonder if you could still return the merch, and then not be out your money?
eponymous_coward and BeeNYC like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I've always felt the mileage portal sales were just there to drive you to the highest retail price at the merchant's site....
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

I can't help but think they are looking for any excuse to keep me from getting the treasure trove of miles. I wish I could return the laptop, but I gave it to my niece as a birthday present. I'm not quite ready to give up entirely. Maybe I'll contact Apple and see what they have to say about whether or not the Government Store is part of the Apple Store website. Thanks to all for your input. I wonder if I can somehow take this matter to Small Claims Court?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BeeNYC
I can't help but think they are looking for any excuse to keep me from getting the treasure trove of miles,
Well, yes, that's what Cartera (the company that runs the MP Shopping program) does; they're not giving you miles out ot the kindness of their heart, and that discount you got at the Apple Government Store (it's 10%, right?) probably more than nukes any kickback Apple is sending Cartera when customers shop at the regular Apple Store using that funky referral link. Quite often discounts aren't stackable with these kinds of deals, etc. So very often it's an either/or: best possible price or pile o' miles because the margin that Cartera gets paid out of is based on an inflated price (the retail Apple Store vs. the .gov/.edu Store).

I wonder if I can somehow take this matter to Small Claims Court?
Read the agreement linked to above. Emphasis added.

The validity, construction and interpretation of this Agreement, and the rights and duties of the parties hereto, will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Washington, excluding its conflicts of laws principles. Each party hereto agrees that all claims relating to this Agreement, the Program, the Site or the Network will be heard exclusively by a state or federal court in Washington. Accordingly, each party hereby consents to the exclusive jurisdiction of any state or federal court in the State of Washington over any proceeding related to this Agreement, irrevocably waives any objection to the venue of any such court, and irrevocably waives any claim that any such proceeding in such a court has been brought in an inconvenient forum.
I'm assuming "BeeNYC" means you're not based in WA?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 17, 2019 at 6:05 pm
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whatever was or was not disclosed when OP purchased, the fact remains that she seems quite aware that she was using a government, e.g. discounted site. If anything, her beef would be with Apple if she could prove that she did not know that she was being directed to that site.

Even if OP lives in Washington State down the street from some courthouse, the small claims procedure there is only available for monetary claims. That gets into the entire issue of what points / miles and other goodies are worth and how one proves that (and then reports it as income).

These sites are indeed a means to drive traffic to an expensive alternative. The points are paid for by someone, e.g. the retailer and they certainly aren't paying for them for discounted merch.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

I'm not located Washington--New York City as you might have guessed. Things don't look hopeful for me. The discount was $165 or 6%
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Quite often discounts aren't stackable with these kinds of deals, etc. So very often it's an either/or: best possible price or pile o' miles because the margin that Cartera gets paid out of is based on an inflated price (the retail Apple Store vs. the .gov/.edu Store).
I don’t disagree with anything you said... however, I found it interesting that when you search for Apple on the Mileageplan Mall, it promotes educational pricing ...

BeeNYC likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I had a similar problem with an Apple Iphone I bought a few months back.

I didn’t use any discounts, and went through the AS site. After a month, 4000 or so miles showed up, but then were immediately removed.

Cartera says the phone was returned, which is certainly not the case. Such dishonesty.
notquiteaff, sokolov and BeeNYC like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
From all I can tell (from reading horror stories about Cartera over the years), they are just terrible. I would spend ten minutes sending a brief factual complaint to

- Tim Cook
- Brad Tilden
- my state’s attorney general consumer unit

It’s unlikely to directly do anything for you, but if enough people complain, maybe Cartera eventually gets put out of business.
Kamalaasaa and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: UA
The individual stores often have a variation of the following warning which Apple has:

“Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site.”

Education discount is on the site but Government is not.

I got tripped up by that but not a lot of miles so I did nothing about it.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arttravel
The individual stores often have a variation of the following warning which Apple has:

“Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site.”

Education discount is on the site but Government is not.

I got tripped up by that but not a lot of miles so I did nothing about it.
Can you please clarify what you mean regarding Government Store not being found on the site? The link I clicked for the Government Store is at the bottom of the Apple Home Page, two columns over from the Apple for Education link. I was not taken to a site outside of Apple.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Can you please clarify what you mean regarding Government Store not being found on the site? The link I clicked for the Government Store is at the bottom of the Apple Home Page, two columns over from the Apple for Education link. I was not taken to a site outside of Apple.
I believe they meant on the MileagePlan shopping site.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by arttravel
I think it has been solved, or at least a reasonable loophole for them to use as an excuse has been found. The real test would be knowing if using the apple education store punchout on the mileage plan shopping portal still yields the bonus miles when you shop with education pricing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.