Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How old is the oldest active-duty United flight attendant?

Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA

Last edited by geometry; Jul 17, 2019 at 11:55 am
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe a better question to ask is, "Does UA have a mandatory retirement age for FAs?".
mdbe and mr8 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
99 (UA system only allows two digits in age input; for example, 1K, 1P and 2P of MP program).
mdbe, kevino, LimeySD and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
It used to be Iris out of SEA, but she retired a while back. I don't know if this guy is still working:

You Think You're a Frequent Flier (NYT Article on UA's Most Senior Flight Attendant)
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
It used to be Iris out of SEA, but she retired a while back. I don't know if this guy is still working:

You Think You're a Frequent Flier (NYT Article on UA's Most Senior Flight Attendant)
This is an old thread. I don't remember if it was last year or in 2017 that there was a reference here on FT about a special celebration for a very senior United FA that was very much liked. I thought I had been on one of her flights but she was coming from the other side, either Continental or United, I cannot recall now but it would not have been a flight I would have been on.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Maybe a better question to ask is, "Does UA have a mandatory retirement age for FAs?".
Nope. Should they for safety professionals?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by Kmxu
99 (UA system only allows two digits in age input; for example, 1K, 1P and 2P of MP program).
age discrimination?

either that, or United will have a 0 or 1-year-old flight attendant? (which I believe is against FAA rules)

Originally Posted by mduell
Nope. Should they for safety professionals?
I don't know about safety professionals... but there'a a 98-year-old lady in my subdivision. I see her running all the time. Not a senior citizen fast-walking... she's actually quite fast. I've seen her keep up with high school girls. Each full circle around my subdivision is a little over 1 mile. She said she usually ran twice around the circle(two miles) every other day.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 17, 2019 at 12:50 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
It could be Norma Heape. She is EWR based and I flew with her last year HKG-EWR. She is in her 80's but you would never know it.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:59 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Reminder of some FT Rules

FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).
additionally, and Privacy -- use of non-public information
Respect the privacy of other members and non-members. Do not post private information of others.
WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
jtet and worldwidedreamer like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I am surprised at many levels that it does not, I flew last week from AMS to IAH with a lady 777 captain on her retirement flight,
have to say she clearly not happy about having the FAA telling her she was done.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
They just designate the centenarians as '1C' (a far more accurate label than is '1K' ).
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Norma Heape it is. Hired onto Continental in 1957, still working in 2019.
https://captainjetson.com/air-travel...ght-attendant/
geometry, ajGoes and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
It could be Norma Heape. She is EWR based and I flew with her last year HKG-EWR. She is in her 80's but you would never know it.
Originally Posted by seenitall
Yes, that's the one I was thinking of. When they were talking about her I could not have been on any of her flights as I fly out of ORD. Although last year when they cancelled my ORD-HKG flight they sent me to EWR......

On my last flights ORD-PVG and PVG-ORD in June-July of this year there was a FA that started working in 1972. We had already seen her on a flight to the same destination last year.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
She just recently put in her retirement paperwork from what I was told.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
Originally Posted by seenitall
Norma is the current #1, 62 years seniority, 82 years old. I have flown with her EWR-HKG, which seems to be her preferred route. She is still working hard, more so than some of her younger colleagues, and always professional.

Here's a CBS News feature about her tenure, albeit 10 years old now:
narvik likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.