Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What Can You Do if an AAgent Misinforms You?

Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist

Rather than open a discussion if the passenger here is "right" or "wrong" this whole debacle makes me wonder what you could do if an AA rep on the phone genuinely misinforms you. Assuming they won't pull the call? Cliffs Notes: Passenger tried to change a basic econ ticket on a multi-trip was "told" to make a new flight, whole trip cancelled as first/original flight wasn't "taken"

Main Article: https://onemileatatime.com/american-...missed-flight/

Seems like it all boils down to what the phone rep ACTUALLY told him which we do not know. Did they tell him you need to book a new “flight” OR “trip/itinerary?” Sounds like he isn’t really detail oriented so I wouldn’t be surprised if he misunderstood what was being told to him. However, if they told him to book a new flight they DID mislead him.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It''s always fact specific so there is no simple answer.

If the agent tells you there will be vanilla ice cream and it's chocolate, not much.

The facts in the body of the OP are not relevant because the information the passenger was provided was entirely correct. Thus, less than not much.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Id be willing to bet that the victim was unclear of the differences between ticket and flight.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
That poster is clearly an attention seeking clown. He claims to be going to a wedding in Dallas but had no idea what time it started? Is that a joke? Zero sympathy for him from me.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by no1cub17
That poster is clearly an attention seeking clown. He claims to be going to a wedding in Dallas but had no idea what time it started? Is that a joke? Zero sympathy for him from me.
If I had to guess what actually happened is that they got the dates mixed up, and won't just admit that. I've been in a similar boat with UAL - wanted to take an earlier flight and was willing to pay the $56 basic Econ one way fare, but thankfully the agent warned me by not taking the 1st flight, I would lose my return flight. Had this not been made clear I would have been really frustrated.
MathMusic likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Here is a printable guide:
  1. Join FlyerTalk
  2. Try to find relevant threads or Wikis (granted, not always that easy)
  3. HUACA
In some cases its about finding the right way to explain what is being asked and even gently guiding the agent to the answer instead of informing them of how wrong they are.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
"Panama Jackson is the Senior Editor of Very Smart Brothas."

Dunning–Kruger effect.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17
I guess no matter how the OP is framed, judgements about the competency/intelligence/personality of the individuals involved are impossible to resist.
Rather than open a discussion if the passenger here is "right" or "wrong"
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I do not think it is up to the phone agent to answer every question not asked.
He bought a "ticket" for his entire trip. He was told he needed to buy a new ticket. The assumption should be to buy a whole new ticket.
If you don't know much about traveling, use an agent
USFlyerUS and Collierkr like this.

Last edited by mvoight; Jul 18, 2019 at 2:20 am
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
This was the dumbest article I've ever read.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
I don't think the passenger will ever win. The GA will typically be backed up by the station agent. They work together, we're just passing through.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I personally book approximately $25 thousand in AA tickets each year, none of which are non-changeable. Most are non-refundable and each time before I hit the purchase button on the website, I recheck my dates, flights, and all other information twice to make sure I don’t end up with an unforced error. I don’t expect AA, even with my status, to save me in the event I screw up or have a change. When you spend a lot of money on an unchangeable ticket you’re playing with fire. The AAgent probably neglected to tell him that he would forfeit the whole itinerary if he skipped the first part and I can see how that could happen but I don’t believe the AAgent was trying to screw him over.
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by AA100k
I personally book approximately $25 thousand in AA tickets each year, none of which are non-changeable. Most are non-refundable and each time before I hit the purchase button on the website, I recheck my dates, flights, and all other information twice to make sure I don’t end up with an unforced error. I don’t expect AA, even with my status, to save me in the event I screw up or have a change. When you spend a lot of money on an unchangeable ticket you’re playing with fire. The AAgent probably neglected to tell him that he would forfeit the whole itinerary if he skipped the first part and I can see how that could happen but I don’t believe the AAgent was trying to screw him over.
Taking responsibility for your actions. How unique in this day and age! Kudos.
trooper and TheSkyGuy like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Exactly.

Agents are neither mind readers nor nannies.

The caller's question and the answer were all in the fare rules and COC which he acknowledged reading and understanding at the time of the original purchase. I don't necessarily read the 17 pages of fare rules for every ticket I purchase, but it is on me that I don't and furthermore, the complete inflexibility of BE fares is not merely in the fare rules but has its own column and warnings on the AA site.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Having read the OMAAT post and not the blog post, it's unclear why he didn't go to Orbitz to sort out a change. Did he skip that part from his story because they made clear it was a non-changeable non-refundable ticket?

I personally book approximately $25 thousand in AA tickets each year, none of which are non-changeable. Most are non-refundable and each time before I hit the purchase button on the website, I recheck my dates, flights, and all other information twice to make sure I dont end up with an unforced error. I dont expect AA, even with my status, to save me in the event I screw up or have a change. When you spend a lot of money on an unchangeable ticket youre playing with fire. The AAgent probably neglected to tell him that he would forfeit the whole itinerary if he skipped the first part and I can see how that could happen but I dont believe the AAgent was trying to screw him over.
Reminds me of the time I booked a BOS-EWR one way on B6, then booked my return later. Come the day of the return, realized I had booked BOS-EWR twice, so hopped on a train back to Boston. You live and you learn, and it's not always someone else's fault.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.