Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Transfer Miles Between American and Hawaiian Airlines? (no)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:46 am
Original Poster

I have miles in both my AAdvatage and Hawaiian frequent flyer accounts. I want to book an inter island award flight. AA offers it via Hawaiian.

Is there a way I can combine or transfer these miles to or from my Advantage or Hawaiian accounts?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by milemonkey
I have miles in both my AAdvatage and Hawaiian frequent flyer accounts. I want to book an inter island award flight. AA offers it via Hawaiian.

Is there a way I can combine or transfer these miles to or from my Advantage or Hawaiian accounts?
You cannot just transfer your AA miles to Hawaiian (or any airline) or vice versa without using a 3rd party service like points.com that will come with a hefty devaluation price (think 10k AA miles = 2k HA miles, for example). Not even sure that's possible, you'd have to do some investigating at points.com.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish, can you not just book the HA flight with your AA miles as you mentioned?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

No direct transfer of miles is possible. An indirect transfer via a hotel program might be possible, but would likely result in a very poor conversion ratio.

Why do you want to transfer miles? Do you not have enough miles in either program to book with that program's miles? (You can book HA flights with AA miles at aa.com; you don't have to convert AA miles to HA miles in order to do so.)
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:45 am
Original Poster

That's the problem. I don't have enough in either program to book the flights, but I would have enough if I could combine them.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the problem. I don't have enough in either program to book the flights, but I would have enough if I could combine them.
"Flights" as in plural? Do you have enough AA miles to book one flight, and enough HA miles to book the other? AA offers one-way awards; does HA?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
"Flights" as in plural? Do you have enough AA miles to book one flight, and enough HA miles to book the other? AA offers one-way awards; does HA?
What kind of trip are you trying to book? We can't help much without a few more details.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Just one flight for both my wife and I inter island Kona to Maui. Its 7500 each.

Since I don't fly AA or HA often, I don't have a lot of miles in either account
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Just one flight for both my wife and I inter island Kona to Maui. Its 7500 each.

You could always buy a small amount of miles to make up the difference and then have enough to redeem, but if all you're redeeming for is an inter-island ticket, that's most likely not worth it. HA has slashed their fares quite a bit since WN entered the fray.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17
You could always buy a small amount of miles to make up the difference and then have enough to redeem, but if all you're redeeming for is an inter-island ticket, that's most likely not worth it. HA has slashed their fares quite a bit since WN entered the fray.
I don't think that WN offers nonstop KOA-OGG service, but I'm seeing WN connections via HNL for as low as $53 one way. Total travel time is about 2.5-3.0 hours. If the OP does not mind the longer travel time, a $53 cash ticket is the way to go.
jridge likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent

About how many miles do you have in each account?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
About how many miles do you have in each account?
My wife and I each have 6085 in American and about 3100 in Hawaiian
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
As others have said, there is no available method of combination / consolidation. You either have to top up the miles enough to have adequate balance for an award flight (either buy points or transfer points from another source such as a transferable points credit card that partners with one of these programs), or you're booking these flights with cash.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by asf-07
As others have said, there is no available method of combination / consolidation. You either have to top up the miles enough to have adequate balance for an award flight (either buy points or transfer points from another source such as a transferable points credit card that partners with one of these programs), or you're booking these flights with cash.
It would probably better just to buy the plane tickets, than to go through this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How soon will you be traveling? If you want to fly the HA nonstop and if either of you has good credit and can meet the $2,000 spend requirement, you might be interested in this offer:

https://cards.barclaycardus.com/bank...te-mastercard/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.