Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors - benefits question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I have a quick question, hoping someone can help with this. If my friend makes a Hilton reservation under his name and puts my Hilton Honors number on the reservation (I am getting Hilton to match my Marriott Bonvoy Titantium status), would we get the Diamond benefits even though I didn't make the reservation? He's arriving a day earlier, so I won't be there when he checks in. What's the odd that the hotel will upgrade us?

Thank you.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
The way you do that is put your name on the reservation (and HH number) but add his name as well so he can check in. Certainly doesn't guarantee an upgrade as meaningful upgrades are now a lot rarer, but does ensure getting benefits.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Miesque
The way you do that is put your name on the reservation (and HH number) but add his name as well so he can check in. Certainly doesn't guarantee an upgrade as meaningful upgrades are now a lot rarer, but does ensure getting benefits.
He made the reservation, not me though (it's a conference, we both have a reservation but he arrives a day earlier. I can't change my reservation date anymore since there's no more room available).

So I needs to get my name on the reservation and add my HH number? That would give us Diamond benefits (i.e. lounge, faster wifi, etc) right? Doesn't necessarily mean we'll get an upgrade as that depends on room availability right?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tawcan
Hi,

I have a quick question, hoping someone can help with this. If my friend makes a Hilton reservation under his name and puts my Hilton Honors number on the reservation (I am getting Hilton to match my Marriott Bonvoy Titantium status), would we get the Diamond benefits even though I didn't make the reservation? He's arriving a day earlier, so I won't be there when he checks in. What's the odd that the hotel will upgrade us?

Thank you.
Someone else is making reservation using your account and you won't be there to check in, (heck, you won't even be there for the first night), you are asking for Diamond benefits for a person that is not getting the match, and you are getting status on a match rather than actually staying in the chain to earn it. I don't know if you will get upgraded or not, but if you do, I am going to be seriously PO'ed every time I don't get one which is what happens nearly every time I ask.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Sorry if that came off the wrong way. Don't really care about a room upgrade, more wondering whether we would be able to get things like faster wifi and lounge access.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'd say it's the status of the Hilton Honors number attached to the reservation itself.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The only status that matters is the status of the registered guest.

It would be a complete long shot, but if you mention your Diamond status at check in a really generous front desk clerk might be able to comp you some benefits.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Hotels are not anywhere near as strict (like airlines are) about this kind of thing. It should be no problem to call the hotel, add your name as a guest on the reservation and include your Hilton number. Make sure your friend doesn't have a Hilton number also attached to avoid any confusion.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
FYI - Depends on the hotel.I typically add my sister (when we travel) to my room reservations and if she arrives/checks in first they greet her as if she is my status. On the flip side, I added a travel companion to a hotel in Panama (When my flight had MX so I was arriving a day late) and they wouldn't grant any HH benefits until I officially checked in.
Beano likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
FYI - Depends on the hotel.I typically add my sister (when we travel) to my room reservations and if she arrives/checks in first they greet her as if she is my status. On the flip side, I added a travel companion to a hotel in Panama (When my flight had MX so I was arriving a day late) and they wouldn't grant any HH benefits until I officially checked in.
Not relevant, as the reservation holder doesn't have status in the OP's situation.

The scam of adding additional guests to an elite member's reservation is well known.
:D! likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.