Wiki Posts
Search

Positioning flights - is same day okay?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Positioning flights - is same day okay?

Hi,

Apologies if the question is dumb, I知 not a frequent flyer at all...

I知 looking to book an ex-EU QR fare for the first time.

It would depart at 16:00 and BA has a flight arriving on same day at 10:00.

I have noticed most frequent flyers prefer to arrive the day before. Is it because if I miss the flight then travel insurance could want me to take a non-OW carrier which means bye to TP痴?

For the return flight I see on other threads and sites that most people take it on the same date.

Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
If your BA flight is cancelled on the day, what are you going to do? What is the backup plan for getting to the starting point of your QR ticket?

Very few travel insurance policies would be paying out in this situation.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
There is no correct answer - only other's experience. On same day any number of things could go wrong and you'd lose your long haul.

It's all dependant on the level of risk you're comfortable with. I flew to MAN at approx 18.00hrs for a MAN-DOH-AKL leaving at 21.30hrs. I cut it too short and I spent too long worrying about it in the lead up. All worked out fine - but it could have gone awfully wrong
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by Daventry
I have noticed most frequent flyers prefer to arrive the day before. Is it because if I miss the flight then travel insurance could want me to take a non-OW carrier which means bye to TP痴?
Most travel insurance will not cover un-connected tickets, so it will more likely be good bye to the money you have paid and also the non-flex ticket you have bought on QR!

So really it is a matter of your personal appetite for risk, I prefer to travel the day before, especially at the time of year when things such as fog can be an issue
nancypants and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I've done same day before: Just leave at least 4 hours between arrival and departure of the QR flight. If travelling the day before, don't get the last flight of the day in case it's cancelled.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
No, it's because your positioning flight is a separate booking - so if it arrives late or is cancelled and you miss the departure for your QR ticket in the 'positioning' airport, you have lost the entire QR trip (outward and return). Your travel insurance might pay up for a 'missed departure', but they also might not if they grasp all the circumstances.

Positioning overnight is normally the recommendation, unless you can very clearly identify that the "out to position" flight will be the same aircraft as the first leg of your onward flight back through the UK (doing the positioning literally "back-to-back"). Your proposed gap of 6 hours actually sounds generous enough that you might do a same-day positioning flight...but the key will really be what your back-up options are. You can probably cope with a delay of up to 4 hours quite comfortably, but what are your alternatives if the flight is simply cancelled...? If your ex-EU starts in say Amsterdam, you will have a lot of alternatives available i.e. other flights on BA you could move to, other airlines you could throw 」100 at for a cheap fare etc. If your ex-EU is somewhere more niche like Bucharest or Sofia, your back-up options will be quite limited. That will determine how comfortable you really can be with this arrangement.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Basically - imagine you are at the airport you are supposed to depart the UK from; let's say at the scheduled departure time you are told "cancelled"....can you work out how to still get onto another flight to 'position' in time (perhaps on BA, or another airline...even another London airport) - could you make it?

You would then have to decide how far into a "delay" you can run before you implement the back-up plan.

If there is no back-up plan possible, then you really are in the hands of the travel gods if your flight is cancelled...
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Does the EU airport have multiple daily flights across several airlines from London ?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
When I do it, I usually do same day... and give myself 4-5 hours to connect or b2b...

My annual travel insurance plan covers missed connections (on separate itineraries) >3hrs, and I have the max coverage GBP2000 for that benefit.
Have not had to use it yet, but plan would be to call QR (or EU op airline) and rearrange ex-EU flight given inability to arrive at starting airport in time, eat the ticket change fee, and claim back on insurance.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your answers. Looking at Oslo or Stockholm for my QR starting point and booking positioning flights with BA ex-LHR to fly 2 eligible sectors for status.

I値l follow your advice and get there the night before. If BA cancels that one at least I could look at first flight of next day.

On the other hand is it okay to fly OSL-LHR on the same day? I致e read QR are usually nice and check baggage through despite being separate tickets.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:11 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
I've done maybe 5 or 6 same-day ex-EUs (non-b2b) but my attitude to risk is becoming less cavalier each time, i.e. I think I'll more than likely stick to b2bs and overnights in future. Thankfully, many of the cheaper starting points (for my typical trips, at least) are wonderful cities to spend a day in beforehand. Specifically this tale of woe in the QR forum made me very nervous about my same-day ex-CPH QR trip a couple of weeks ago!

On the way home, I typically book same day, latest flight home but with SDC flexibility to move forward if feasible.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsf
I've done maybe 5 or 6 same-day ex-EUs (non-b2b) but my attitude to risk is becoming less cavalier each time, i.e. I think I'll more than likely stick to b2bs and overnights in future. Thankfully, many of the cheaper starting points (for my typical trips, at least) are wonderful cities to spend a day in beforehand. Specifically this tale of woe in the QR forum made me very nervous about my same-day ex-CPH QR trip a couple of weeks ago!

On the way home, I typically book same day, latest flight home but with SDC flexibility to move forward if feasible.
SDC is only possible on Avios tickets and if you have status, right?

I have no status - chasing Silver with this QR fare, so I値l book my positioning flight with BA to get in 2 of the 4 required sectors.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I cross the road ignoring red lights, I cycle across central London every day (although obey lights when cycling), and I have thousands of pounds invested with Woodford that I'm not trying to withdraw.

I also have an ex-EU from GOT next week on the first planned LHR strike day, with a 4 hour gap between my BA arrival and LH departure. Feels comfortable to me, and my only back-up options are DY from LGW an hour before my LHR departure (so would have to activate that plan the day before), or an indirect KLM or LH routing to get to GOT.

So it depends on your risk appetite. I've never missed a flight in my life.
djbenedict likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:24 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by Daventry

SDC is only possible on Avios tickets and if you have status, right?
Nope! My LHR-CPH-LHR was a cash Economy Plus fare. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ort-haul-fares
jacobchr and Daventry like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsf
Nope! My LHR-CPH-LHR was a cash Economy Plus fare. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ort-haul-fares
Oh, thank you very much! I was convinced it wouldn稚 be possible!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.