End of the line for the CRJ

Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
End of the line for the CRJ

Bombardier has agreed to sell the Canadair Regional Jet program to Mitsubishi. CRJ production is expected to conclude in the second half of 2020, following delivery of the current backlog of aircraft.

https://www.bombardier.com/en/media/...ardiercom.html

As of March 31st, Delta had 12 of those outstanding orders for the CRJ-900 with deliveries through 2020. So the CRJ-200/700/900 will still be in the Connection fleet for some time but a draw down is coming. Sad news I know for many around here.
Transpacificflyer likes this.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Jun 25, 2019 at 1:18 pm
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Interesting since the MRJ might actually get released into service next year.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Woohoo!!! Those pieces of garbage will eventually be gone from the fleet. Good riddance.
Spiff, gretchendz and Air Houston like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Woohoo!!! Those pieces of garbage will eventually be gone from the fleet. Good riddance.
DL has 12 CR9s on backlog as of Q1, so hold the excitement. I bet we'll still have some CR7/CR9s running into 2030 (I would really like to be wrong here).
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by boeingguy1
DL has 12 CR9s on backlog as of Q1, so hold the excitement. I bet we'll still have some CR7/CR9s running into 2030 (I would really like to be wrong here).
Yup, the latest SkyWest CR9 contract runs through 2029. Currently there are just over 350 CRJ frames at Delta Connection.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The true demon is the CR1/2. As long as it's a CR7 or CR9, I can tolerate it for 60-90 minutes. I'm a fan of the 1x2 F seating.

With that said, the E-Jet is a far better regional aircraft in every way.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by cmd320
The true demon is the CR1/2. As long as it's a CR7 or CR9, I can tolerate it for 60-90 minutes. I'm a fan of the 1x2 F seating.

I like the exit row in the CRJ! That's my biggest complaint about the e-jets when my lowly gold status doesn't get me up front
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by cmd320

Totally agree in all respects
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:30 pm

I traveled PHL-GSP in a new CRJ900-Next Gen last week. The a/c was operated for AA by PSA, and I was in Main cabin. Although the plane was full, the two hour +/- trip was pleasant with plenty of leg room. Other PAX said the same thing.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Interesting. First the C-Series went to Airbus, then the Dash-8 to de Havilland, and now the CRJ. Looks as if Bombardier might be getting out of the commercial aviation game for now and focusing on their private jets.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TuxTom
Interesting. First the C-Series went to Airbus, then the Dash-8 to de Havilland, and now the CRJ. Looks as if Bombardier might be getting out of the commercial aviation game for now and focusing on their private jets.
They are. They also still make trains.

I was surprised to find out they spun off their snowmobile division.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Why would Mitubishi buy them just to discontinue it?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by TuxTom
Bold above by me;

Bombardier still owns a portion of the BD500 program (A220) via it's percentage ownership (along with with QC provincial gov't) of Airbus Canada Limited Partnership of which Airbus SE owns %50.01
The Dash-8 was sold to Longview Aviation Capital Corp. which also purchased the de Havilland Canada name and trandemark from Bombardier.
Finally, the CRJ program being sold to MHI means that Bombardier has completely exited the commercial aircraft space, there are no other commercial aircraft programs/portfolios owned/managed by Bombardier.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
They are. They also still make trains.

I was surprised to find out they spun off their snowmobile division.
The sale of the recreational products division was due to the massive financial hit the aerospace division took after 9/11. For more than a year deliveries of CRJ aircraft were either delayed or outright cancelled. Yet, Bombardier had already paid for the manufacture of the aircraft articles. I recall in 2002 that Bombardier ran out of space at their Dorval and Mirabel facilities to store manufactured, but undelivered aircraft.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Why would Mitubishi buy them just to discontinue it?
Intellectual property related to design, certification, manufacture, and assembly of aircraft.

Mitsubishi stole about as much as they could from Bombardier, and still can't get a plane our the door. The MRJ program is so screwed up that they had to re-engineer a significant portion of the aircraft design and the program to the SpaceJet. The 75 seater is DOA and Bombardier is stellar at weight reduction and streamlined engineering, Bombardier just don't know to run a low margin business efficiently.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.