Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LCY Connection - Checked Through Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:47 am
Original Poster

LCY Connection - Checked Through Baggage

We have a flight from GLA-LCY-GRX (Glasgow-London City-Granada) and there is a 1hr10m connection time which should be plenty. We know we have to go through to arrivals and then go through the normal departure process, but what isnt clear on the BA website (and i did a few google searches) is baggage... will\can our baggage be checked through all the way from Glasgow to Granada without the need to pick it up, or do we need to collect it at LCY and then check it in again?

Thanks
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:56 am

We did this a few years ago, but from EDI. Everything connected on the outbound, but it didn’t on the return (took a couple of days). City doesn’t have many connecting passengers, so are less used to dealing with it. I’d be cautious in future about checking through/would make sure I had sufficient hand luggage.
GGla likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
It will be tagged through

If you had a longer connection I'd be tempted to try and get it only tagged to LCY and manually transfer it, but with 1h10 that isn't impossible but not really recommendable
GGla and corporate-wage-slave like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks, as long as its tagged through im happy, as if its lost in that scenario then someone else can pay for my clothes that i need.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:26 am

It will be tagged through, so in theory should make it.

However, if you are on a tight connection (30mins MCT) then I would expect it not to make it. I think am 4/4 attempts of 30mins connections ZRH-LCY-GLA Christmas pilgrimages that my bag (containing Christmas gifts) does not make the transfer. I know this will be the case, so just head straight to the Baggage Services desk at GLA, and they ship it to me the next day. (Note, I knowingly do this this and that the bag will not make it, but it just means BA can ship the bag to me the next day at their expense and I do not have to drag it on public transport, so I'm usually quite glad!).
GGla likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:57 am

Similar Question

I am looking at a flight TXL-LCY-FLR. BA offers this itinerary but I want to use AA MILES for The first leg, but the second leg is not offered for mileage redemption. So if I purchase the second legs ticket, will there be enough time to retrieve my check baggage and recheck it and get to the second flight. The scheduled landing time is 7:50 AM and the scheduled take off time is 9:25 AM. AA Says they will not check through the checked baggage, but I didn’t expect that they would.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by machong
I am looking at a flight TXL-LCY-FLR. BA offers this itinerary but I want to use AA MILES for The first leg, but the second leg is not offered for mileage redemption. So if I purchase the second legs ticket, will there be enough time to retrieve my check baggage and recheck it and get to the second flight. The scheduled landing time is 7:50 AM and the scheduled take off time is 9:25 AM. AA Says they will not check through the checked baggage, but I didn’t expect that they would.

In terms of time that should be OK if there are no delays.

Will you really get a decent saving out of this? The way BA fares are structured I would expect the TXL-LCY-FLR to be cheaper or at least very similarly priced to LCY-FLR as a stand alone.

Also have a look at the various low cost carriers doing Berlin-FLR. A stop over in LCY is not such an enjoyable experience that I would volunteer for it...
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:34 am
Suspended

LCY has frequent morning fog problems.
FLR has frequent too windy to land problems.
BLQ now has the new shuttle train to the city centre.
I’d look for something non stop from BER airports.
machong likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not similar at all.

Separate tickets means that 100% of the risk is on OP. A touch of weather or any other reason and OP may miss the bag cutoff or even the gate cutoff for his onwards flight. Typically, I would allow at least 3 times what would have been the MCT had this been a single ticket.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Often1
Separate tickets means that 100% of the risk is on OP. A touch of weather or any other reason and OP may miss the bag cutoff or even the gate cutoff for his onwards flight. Typically, I would allow at least 3 times what would have been the MCT had this been a single ticket.
The MCT is 30 minutes ... and the OP's wish has 95 minutes between flights.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
The MCT is 30 minutes ... and the OP's wish has 95 minutes between flights.

amateur here for sure. What is BLQ AND MCT?

I totally appreciate the insight and help

Fair is low enough that I am now looking at this routing but also know there is a direct from TXL to FLR early morning on Lufthansa affiliate airline. Weighing options.

Thank you you all for your help.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
amateur here for sure. What is BLQ AND MCT?
BLQ is Bologna, an airport near Italy's biggest railway junction, which makes it easy to get almost any city north of Rome.

MCT = Minimum Connection Time. Airlines won't sell you a connecting ticket which doesn't meet that, the precise timing of which depends on the airport, the routing and the airline(s) involved.
machong likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BLQ is Bologna, an airport near Italy's biggest railway junction, which makes it easy to get almost any city north of Rome.

MCT = Minimum Connection Time. Airlines won't sell you a connecting ticket which doesn't meet that, the precise timing of which depends on the airport, the routing and the airline(s) involved.
SCT = Sensible Connection Time, that allows a sensible margin for some delays.
With flights at MCT it can be rushed
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:13 pm

Thank you everyone for your reply to my post.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.