Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Purchased Business on 787-8 and got an A320 instead! Refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:22 am
Original Poster

I was booked on YEG-YYZ-LGA starting just after midnight MDT and arriving in NYC at 9am EDT.

I had a business seat purchased on a 787-8 for the YEG-YYZ leg, so I could get some proper sleep. The 787-8 has nice business class seats that can let you get some good rest. The YYZ-LGA leg I just stayed with Econ since it's an hour flight from 8am-9am so really, who cares.

However, the YEG-YYZ leg was delayed to a 2am departure, arriving in Toronto at something ridiculous like 7:55am, meaning I would miss my 8am flight out to LGA. I called up Altitude VIP 75k and had them move me to an earlier flight so I could make my connection.

They did the change and then as I board, I realize, oh god, it's an A320. The business class was so uncomfortable compared to what I would have had on the 787-8.
Has anyone ever received a credit or partial refund for this kind of switch? It just seems bogus. I wouldn't have bothered paying for the business upgrade for the first leg if it was an A320.

Any advice or similar stories would be much appreciated
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by ftcom
I was booked on YEG-YYZ-LGA starting just after midnight MDT and arriving in NYC at 9am EDT.

I had a business seat purchased on a 787-8 for the YEG-YYZ leg, so I could get some proper sleep. The 787-8 has nice business class seats that can let you get some good rest. The YYZ-LGA leg I just stayed with Econ since it's an hour flight from 8am-9am so really, who cares.

However, the YEG-YYZ leg was delayed to a 2am departure, arriving in Toronto at something ridiculous like 7:55am, meaning I would miss my 8am flight out to LGA. I called up Altitude VIP 75k and had them move me to an earlier flight so I could make my connection.

They did the change and then as I board, I realize, oh god, it's an A320. The business class was so uncomfortable compared to what I would have had on the 787-8.
Has anyone ever received a credit or partial refund for this kind of switch? It just seems bogus. I wouldn't have bothered paying for the business upgrade for the first leg if it was an A320.

Any advice or similar stories would be much appreciated
Nope no refund for sure, you requested the change & it's was a business class cabin you were seated in. Best you'll get is "sorry for your disappointment"
I understand it was a major let down, especially when you were expecting the lie-flat...
The Lev and etkuo like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: AC 75K
There is a premium charge for Business on a wide body vs narrow body aircraft of ~$300. You may be able to get that back, but otherwise don’t expect anything.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
There is a premium charge for Business on a wide body vs narrow body aircraft of ~$300. You may be able to get that back, but otherwise don’t expect anything.
Oh that's interesting to know: the approx $300 premium!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:41 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ftcom

You should be able to get a discount code out of AC if you actual purchased a J ticket. What I don’t understand why you were not in J all the way to LGA?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:44 am
5mm
Suspended

After reading OP quote, I don’t think he was actual on the J class ticket. If he was, the second leg would also be in J. Sounds more of a LMU to me. Therefor, he should not expect anything.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by james dean
Oh that's interesting to know: the approx $300 premium!
On a paid J-cabin ticket for travel within NA there is an approximately $300 surcharge for signature class over regular business class. In the event of a downgrade to regular business a refund would be due.

This surcharge is not applicable on award tickets or upgrades (LMU, eUpgrade, etc.). In such cases (which this appears to be as pointed out by 5mm) no refund is due. A complaint to AC may result in some goodwill compensation, but that’s about it... The fact that a voluntary change was made to another flight probably doesn’t help OP as the flight he was originally booked on wasn’t downgraded and the flight he switched to was likely scheduled as a 320 at the time of the change.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by 5mm

After reading OP quote, I don’t think he was actual on the J class ticket. If he was, the second leg would also be in J. Sounds more of a LMU to me. Therefor, he should not expect anything.
Ah yes, I missed that bit of detail. Agree that nothing should be expected.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Ah yes, I missed that bit of detail. Agree that nothing should be expected.
Especially since it was a voluntary change on top of it.

OP called the E75K line though... didn't think AC reservations had the ability to process same day changes?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca

OP called the E75K line though... didn't think AC reservations had the ability to process same day changes?
OP's wording is quite confusing actually. But yes., my thought was that since he requested the change, he might well be out of luck even if this was purchased J. Which by his wording may not have been the case, either eupgrade or paid upgrade.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca

It's not a SDC if it's due to IRROPS. Res is fully capable of rebooking you in those situations.

But as others said, there's nothing technically due because it was voluntary and the surcharge was never charged.

I'm sure something could be obtained as a goodwill gesture, but I don't know what you really expect after flying in the upgraded cabin.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:38 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
OP's wording is quite confusing actually. But yes., my thought was that since he requested the change, he might well be out of luck even if this was purchased J. Which by his wording may not have been the case, either eupgrade or paid upgrade.
I don't think he was using upgrades because it's the same amount of point for YEG -Yyz as Yeg-yyz-lga. therefor he would have been in J for his second leg
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 5mm
I don't think he was using upgrades because it's the same amount of point for YEG -Yyz as Yeg-yyz-lga. therefor he would have been in J for his second leg
Same amount of credits to upgrade both segments, yes, but OP would still have to specifically request the upgrade through the eUpgrade portal or during check-in. It’s certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that OP used eUps for the first segment only.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Entitled? Yes.

To any sort of compensation? Not on your life. OP requested the change and got what he/she asked for. End of story.
Schweden likes this.

Last edited by Symmetre; Jun 19, 2019 at 11:03 am
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I mean on the plus side, 320s don't have deflated seats. So it's entirely possible the OP got lucky.

I mean in an ideal world, res would have warned him that it was a different aircraft. But I don't think more than 0.001% of AC res would even think of that (unlike 99% of AC FT).
And the OP could have flown the 787 and then either rung up or waited to be moved onto / SDC for a later flight YYZ LGA isn't not like there is any shortage (of scheduled flights anyway). This of course supposes the OP didn't have plans and a need to be in LGA by a set time.

Either way, I suspect this would yield a 5-10% off base fare only voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.