Wiki Posts
Search

Frustrating Game of Agent Roulette

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Frustrating Game of Agent Roulette

This might be more appropriate in the schedule change thread or one of the threads regarding the A330-900neos. If so, mods please move. I thought there was a thread specifically talking about HUCA experiences, but couldn't seem to find it.

Long story short: My husband and I are traveling in September to SIN. We are on two separate PNRs. On the TPAC segments we were originally booked on the A330-900neo for both the outbound SEA-ICN and return NRT-SEA. With the pushback of the inaugural flights we experienced aircrafts swaps over the weekend.

Outbound SEA-ICN changed to a 767. Not a huge deal. Disappointing, but in the end no issue. We were both in C+ on the A330-900neo, so we are now in C+ on the 767. We have suitable seats together and all is OK.

The return NRT-SEA changed to the A350. I am in D1 for the entire return, so it was no issue for me. I will still get a D1 Suite just as I had booked on the neo. However my husband did not opt for D1 return and purchased C+ for the return as well. The A350 does not have a C+ cabin like the neo had. When the schedule change initially occurred he was auto-rebooked into PS (G). However last night I noticed he had been downgraded to Main Cabin (X).

I called into the Gold Line to see if they would have any sympathy and what options he had. The first agent was simply horrid. At first he claimed there was no difference between C+ and PS... they are all "Premium Economy." His logic on that changed when he saw my husband was now in Main Cabin and the system would not let him place my husband in PS. He said the only option was to issue a $200 downgrade voucher and accept the Main Cabin seat. When I (politely) asked if any exceptions were being made because of the delayed aircraft rollout he became quite frustrated and offered to obtain a price quote to upfare my husband into PS. I decided to play along. After almost 10 minutes on hold the agent came back on and said "This is the most complicated ticket I have ever seen, you have several different fare classes, it's just too complicated and will cost $10,515 to move him to PS." I almost cracked up laughing. While thanking the agent for his time I happened to refresh the reservation and I saw NINE additional NRT-SEA segments at the end of my husband's PNR!! I mentioned this to the agent who said I must not know what I'm looking at and ended the call. You can guess what number I gave him on the survey.

Called back. I got one of the friendliest agents I have had in a long time. She carefully listened as I explained the situation. She immediately saw the random nine extra segments and took care of them promptly. She explained that according to an internal memo originally customers were to be placed as a courtesy into PS because of the delayed rollout, however upper revenue management has rescinded that offer. For those downgraded C+ to Main it's a $200 voucher issued immediately and a refund request may be made at completion of travel for the price difference between main cabin and C+. If anyone was downgraded out of PS to C+ on the 767, the same rules apply except a $500 voucher would be issued instead of $200.

She cleaned up his reservation, came back when a more believable upfare price of $802 to move him to PS. I declined as I knew my husband would not want the money spent. She even escalated our itinerary to a few supervisors trying to get him into PS complimentary since I was on paid D1 for the return. They wouldn't budge.

In the end policy is policy. There's no harm in politely asking. I just could not believe the incompetence of the first agent. Especially on an elite line. Yes, I'm just GM, but I've had agents on the regular line be much more knowledgeable and helpful. I placed him in 41A on the A350 - if anyone has any reviews of that seat I would greatly appreciate it! I feel slightly guilty knowing he will be in the back while I'm up in 5A

$200 e-credit email appeared late last night too. I do not plan to touch it until after our trip is complete.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:20 pm

I was originally booked in PS for SEA-ICN-SEA but decided to cancel within the 24-hour grace period when I read rumors of the possible downgrade to a 767.

I really wish I kept that fare now knowing they would've issued me potentially 2x $500 vouchers.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:35 pm

What a crazy experience. Sorry to hear about that first agent but fortunately the second agent seemed better informed (and mannered!)

with regard to your husband’s seat assignment, I’d say you did well in snagging him 41A. It’s one of my favorite Y seats in the A359. While it’s a window seat, it’s effectively also an aisle seat in that you can exit it and walk around 40BC even if they have their legs stretched out- there is SO much space between 40BC and the wall, and ultimately no 40A so your husband will be able to stretch out as well.

Enjoy the trip!
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: DL DM
Yesterday I got the “can’t do SDC because there’s no availability in your first class fare bucket” line of BS. Last time it was some other mistake. Then on occasion you get a totally awesome agent who can make magic happen (and have me scrambling for my job well certs). Roulette is an apt description.

Is delta.com offering a decent price to upgrade to PS on the return? Offer was $299 on my SEA-PVG 339 flight (before the swap). I think the examples from the PS monetization thread were generally higher for ICN.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by ajggiant
Yesterday I got the “can’t do SDC because there’s no availability in your first class fare bucket” line of BS. Last time it was some other mistake. Then on occasion you get a totally awesome agent who can make magic happen (and have me scrambling for my job well certs). Roulette is an apt description.

Is delta.com offering a decent price to upgrade to PS on the return? Offer was $299 on my SEA-PVG 339 flight (before the swap). I think the examples from the PS monetization thread were generally higher for ICN.
I am amazed years later some agents can’t get the SDC rules for paid first. Even when I quote them the rules on DL.com they won’t budge.
Twitter team seems to be the best at paid F SDC for me and use them mostly now.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: Blinged Out
41A is a good seat on the 359. You can get up without disturbing 41B/C... Lots of ppl congregate around the lavs though...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by apodo77

Even when I quote them the rules on DL.com they won’t budge.
Literally a waste of time. Say "Thanks ill leave it alone", hang-up, and call back.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Literally a waste of time. Say "Thanks ill leave it alone", hang-up, and call back.
But make sure to give them a 1 before you hang up
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've had agents delay hanging up when they know I wasn't pleased so that I can't rate them.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by DLATL777
I know it's a waste of time but like to do it anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.