Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What if many travellers boycott paid advance seat selection ?

Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots

What if there was an initiative to boycott paid advance seat selection that gained massive/viral traction? Will airlines stop charging for advance seat selection ?

To me charging for seat selection is like to making travellers bid against each other for the desirable seats, but if travellers collude and constitute a collective collaborative bloc, perhaps there will be change.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
youre asking the question in a forum of frequent travelers who arent in any way representative of the vast majority of airline passengers

whether we admit it or not, most of us are probably resigned to the fact that airlines being in business to make money are not likely to change lucrative practices in the interest of becoming more consumer-friendly

I recognize the power of social media in attempting to effect change, but I suspect there are too many variables in play here to make that kind of a change campaign work: a vast number of airlines, disparate individual travel patterns/priorities, etc etc
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:43 pm

Never going to happen. People are too busy with their own lives to worry about joining some protest over seat fees...especially considering most travelers are of the infrequent variety.

If you want fees gone, forget about trying to persuade individual travelers. You have two options. First, you can convince government to ban the fees. Second, you can get the airlines' best customers to demand the fees disappear. Those best customers are the corporations that purchase thousands of seats each year.
GUWonder and HMPS like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: LH M&M
I also can't see this getting much traction. Those who already don't pay for seat reservation, either out of protest or because their funds are limited, are obviously not the target of your post.

That leaves people who currently do pay, and I doubt that too many of them will be willing to take the chance on a bad seat over a few bucks. If that were the case, they wouldn't currently be paying the fees.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I never pay, and I still pick my seat on AA.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: BA, SQ
How is this going to bring about change? Airlines will just say fine, nobody is willing to pay for the seat so they'll get seated where they told to. They will then just increase the price of all tickets to cover for the loss of revenue from seat selection.
Isn't going to bring back free seat selection if that's what you're after.

This is what passengers wanted e.g. un-bundling, so airlines have given it to them.... can't have it both ways.
farci, trooper, stevej0531 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Boycotts never work, sorry, there is always going to be a group of people that dont agree , as to weather its a restaurant chain, a retailer or other.
I think passengers have just learnt to accept the chargers for a seat selection has have luggage fees..
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would only work if you could get nearly all fliers to do it.

I'd also like to do away with Basic Economy.

But both exist because it's been shown that people are willing to pay the difference, so I think we're stuck. Better to lobby the government to allow foreign carriers to serve domestic city pairs and improve competition.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I doubt you'd recruit a sufficient number of people to have an effect. Too many of us don't mind paying for seat selection because it assures we will not spend lengthy hours crammed in a middle seat.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I doubt you'd recruit a sufficient number of people to have an effect. Too many of us don't mind paying for seat selection because it assures we will not spend lengthy hours crammed in a middle seat.
Don't fall for the airlines strategy of dividing us to rule us better. Stop the selfish thoughts for a little while and join the ranks of collective bargaining. A few small sacrifices will pay off greater benefits for everyone !
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Never going to happen. People are too busy with their own lives to worry about joining some protest over seat fees...especially considering most travelers are of the infrequent variety.

If you want fees gone, forget about trying to persuade individual travelers. You have two options. First, you can convince government to ban the fees. Second, you can get the airlines' best customers to demand the fees disappear. Those best customers are the corporations that purchase thousands of seats each year.
Wait a minute....those corporates are the road warriors, they get free selections due to status or price of ticket so they have a lot to lose as a leisure traveler(s) who book way in advance for cheap tickets and best seats. Ain't gonna happen.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
How is this going to bring about change? Airlines will just say fine, nobody is willing to pay for the seat so they'll get seated where they told to. They will then just increase the price of all tickets to cover for the loss of revenue from seat selection.
Isn't going to bring back free seat selection if that's what you're after.

This is what passengers wanted e.g. un-bundling, so airlines have given it to them.... can't have it both ways.
Exactly this. I don't see how thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of infrequent flyers like myself (3-4 flights a year) will have enough leverage to where seat fees are scrapped. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice as a non-status holder to choose whichever seat for free, but those days are pretty much gone. If I also remember correctly, OP also created a thread where he tried to get Alaska to waive their change fee even though there was no changes made by AS on the booked itinerary. It's a bit odd seeing another similar fee-avoidance thread made again, assuming that it was the OP with that AS post.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
If 100% if flyer talkers did so, no airline would notice.
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
Nobody polled me on this one...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
If 100% if flyer talkers did so, no airline would notice.
I'll try to start a campaign on social networks (Facebook, Twitter) and on Change.org

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.