Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is 1 hour enough time to connect to DEL in LHR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

I am coming into LHR from BWI connecting on to DEL in late July. My layover is 1 hour and 5 minutes and according to concur the minimum connection time for LHR in this terminal is 1 hour so it looks like a legal connection but is it a reasonable one? Both flights are in Terminal 5 so I assume I won't need to clear customs or security again?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
LHR is my ‘home’ airport, therefore I never do connections at LHR.

However, while your connection time is acceptable I know that just a small delay on the incoming flight at LHR can disrupt many connections.

If you were to misconnect, and your flight to DEL is on the same ticket as your flight from BWI, BA would put you on the next available BA flight to DEL which would be a minimum of 10 hours later than the flight you are scheduled to take.

Doc Copper
Yoshi212 likes this.

Last edited by DoctorCopper; Jun 17, 2019 at 6:45 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If you have other options out of BWI, IAD or PHL I'd take it. 1 hour doesn't leave much wiggle room and long delays during a trip because of a misconnect can be frustrating.
travelmad478 and boss315 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Da67
I am coming into LHR from BWI connecting on to DEL in late July. My layover is 1 hour and 5 minutes and according to concur the minimum connection time for LHR in this terminal is 1 hour so it looks like a legal connection but is it a reasonable one? Both flights are in Terminal 5 so I assume I won't need to clear customs or security again?
Good morning and greetings from a rather wet Delhi. That connection is plenty of time assuming that your inbound is roughly on time. You will have to go through security again.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply! It is an American Airlines ticket flying on BA metal but it is one ticket so it sounds like I will get there at worst maybe a day late.

I may contact American and leverage my status to get a same day flight change to see if another route would get me to LHR a little earlier maybe through EWR but I won't push Concur for any changes now.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:00 pm

You won't have to clear customs, assuming you have a single ticket, but will have to go through security. If you have separate tickets and have checked a bag then you will have to go through UK immigration, pick up your bag and check it in for the LHR-DEL leg. Passing through UK customs is usually trivial, just walk through an open door, with a very small likelihood of being stopped for a check.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Your inbound from BWI will most likely arrive at the T5B or T5C satellite, and if it does then you should check the connections monitors BEFORE you get on the train to T5A. If your departing gate for DEL is already known to also be T5B or T5C then you can go through connections security in the quieter T5B which will certainly speed up the process.

If your inbound arrives at a remote stand or your onward gate is not known when you arrive (because of a delay to DEL), then you have no choice but to go to the main T5A building and go through flight connections there.
KARFA and flatlander like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by RGS5526
If you have separate tickets and have checked a bag then you will have to go through UK immigration, pick up your bag and check it in for the LHR-DEL leg. Passing through UK customs is usually trivial, just walk through an open door, with a very small likelihood of being stopped for a check.
OP has confirmed about the same time you posted that it is a single ticket. But for clarity in case someone else reads this thread, 1hr would never be enough if more than one ticket to clear immigration, collect bags, exit via customs, check back in, clear immigration and make your way to the gate.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
you will have to dash thru the airport... they maybe staff waiting upon arrival at your gate at LHR that will provide you a pass to hasten your security,
you should be fine, I have done it from T-3 to T-5 in under 45 minutes..
remember dont bother with shopping at duty free etc.... and if you have checked bags, make sure to ask the GA if the bags have been put on your connecting flight.
Enjoy a either very wet DEL or very hot DEL
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
You can do T5-T5 in about 25 minutes, considering the gate closure times that leaves about 20-25 mins reserve for long queues or delays.

If all goes to plan this is the perfect connection.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses, it looks like this won't be much of an issue. LHR to DEL is a pretty busy route so worst case scenario is that I get rebooked for a later flight and get to take a shower in the lounge.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Da67
Thank you all for the responses, it looks like this won't be much of an issue. LHR to DEL is a pretty busy route so worst case scenario is that I get rebooked for a later flight and get to take a shower in the lounge.
The later flight is 10 hours late :-), you'll have enough time for a shower and a stroll in London
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
The later flight is 10 hours late :-), you'll have enough time for a shower and a stroll in London
Even better!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.