Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

$99 Companion Certificate Worth Anything?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold

Hey amigos, I have the Barclays AA card (which I am planning to get rid of because of the discontinuation of the EQD bonus). I understand if I spend $20K in a year then I'll get a $99 Companion Certificate.

Is this certificate easy to use? Obviously if I'm booking a $500 fare it's a good deal but my experience with other airlines is that these certificates are often a PITA to put to good use. Bottom line - is it worth it to hang onto this card to get the cert? Or are these things vaporware?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Very easy to use. There's a few blackout dates during the year, but other than that, it's good for any Main Cabin Economy Domestic (Lower 48) ticket.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I agree. Very easy to use. I do so every year. Wish the SWUs were this easy to use!
fotographer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold
W just used 2 $99 companion certificates. Travel had to be 14+ days out.
We had to call to book the flights and then mail in the paper coupon.
It was very easy and the itinerary showed up immediately. A few days later it was formally ticketed and confirmed to us.
We booked ORD-BGR about 6 weeks prior to travel in late July. Tickets were running $561 so we feel we got very good value.
$759 for $1683 ticket value.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to get the most outsized value with these? I have one coming in the mail soon.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by donotblink
Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to get the most outsized value with these? I have one coming in the mail soon.
Find flights that are basically always expensive and book one of those with it. To me, that's what gets the most bang for the buck with them.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Fly with two companions. Easy to save $800 to $1000 this way.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO
I booked ORD-JAC for August. Ticket was $565 per person so I spent $835 for tickets worth $1635 (2 companions). So I think it's pretty good value, especially if you have 2 companions travelling with you.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
I was able to book 3 tickets this year that were about $700 each, so definitely saved some money. But keep an eye for the blackout dates, there are quite a few. Also, must the roundtrip in and out of the same city. Can't be open jaw. Had no problem upgrading, though.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by AA_ORDlady
We had to call to book the flights and then mail in the paper coupon.
What year is this? Surprised AA didn't mail you paper tickets.
355F1 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Super easy. Love to use it when work pays for my flight to somewhere fun for a conference and I can bring people cheap! It's also very easy to book and I and my companions have always been upgraded as well.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:20 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Can I buy in F and have the companion in coach?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Can I buy in F and have the companion in coach?
Simply, nope. You have to book everyone in standard Main Cabin tickets (not basic economy). Once everything is fully ticketed though, you may be able to call in to upfare it, but I've never tried it.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
There are no capacity controls - just need at least 2 seats available in the booking code. Other than a few blackout dates, easy to use. You have to call and book and then mail in the certificate. The companion is not supposed to be eligible for upgrade.. So you may have to split the reservation at the gate. The companion ticket is about $149 (not $99) after you add taxes.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Has anyone had success using these on a YUP fare in the J cabin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.