Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buying FC and immediately SDC to cheaper...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold

I want to fly on flight A, but it costs $1700 in FC
I see flight B only costs $700 in FC.

Since it’s within 24 hours of departure, can I buy flight B and then immediately SDC to flight A? Both have seats in FC that are available.

Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Does fare class factor in F SDC? Or is it just cabin? I believe fare class is a factor in MC.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: SQ Gold, UA Silver, DL Plat, AS MVP, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
That should work. Some agents say fare class in F matters but it does not. First is first and they should process the SDC without issues or you may even be able to do it during check-in. The only caveat would be that you can't swap from a connection to a non-stop and usually can't swap from a first class flight to a Delta One flight.

Here is the relevant text form the Delta site:
  • If you have a premium cabin fare like Delta One®, Delta Premium Select or First Class you may make a Same-Day Confirmed change as long as a seat is available in the cabin purchased or a lower cabin
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I do this all the time. On my routes the cheapest FC ticket is often cheaper than the economy fare on my desired flight. Book FC, SDC to the flight I want, win.
hi55us and TheHorta like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
crjtraveler gave a pretty succinct summary

my only caveats, which are mentioned in the main SDC thread, are:
1- if you’re trying to process the SDC on line, you won’t actually be able to SDC to a later flight, since the “Change Flights” option will only bring up flights within 24 hours from NOW
2- if you sit in the back on one segment (e.g., it’s a single-cabin jet, or F is full), be prepared to engage with a SkyMiles agent (phone or email) for the 50% Class-of-Service bonus for that segment
3- if a phone agent gives you any pushback, ask to speak with a supervisor; HUCA is also your friend
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Check with Expertflyer to ensure there is a seat on the $1700 ticket and Delta isn't overselling. And if an elite gets the FC upgrade between now and when you complete the purchase you might get stuck?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL
If it fails, exercise the 24 hour cancellation period and get your money back.
SDQBound and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Update - when I purchased the ticket and called in, the agent was insistent that what I was "REALLY" doing was trying to switch to a different itinerary requiring her to reprice the ticket. It went like this...

Pianoman: "Hi, I'm currently booked on DL XXXX and would like to switch to DL YYYY. I'm seeing open seats in FC on DL YYYY so I'd like to SDC."

Agent: "I see you are within the 24-hour cancelation window, I can cancel the ticket and I can price out DL YYYY for you."

Pianoman: "No ma'am, I'd like to SDC on the flight."

Agent: "Well, you're within the 24-hour cancelation window, so this way you wouldn't have to pay the $75 change fee (she also missed that I'm a Platinum apparently)"

Pianoman: "Ma'am, I wouldn't have to pay the change fee, because I am a Platinum. Also, if I purchased that flight, it would be $1000 more."

Agent: "Well, I can't let you SDC to it because it's in a different fare class."

Pianoman (becoming angry): "Ma'am, I KNOW it is in a different fare class. But since it is a SDC into FC, there only needs to be seats available. A FC SDC doesn't require same fare class."

Agent: "I am unable to help you."

Pianoman: "Let me speak to a supervisor."

Agent: "We are experiencing higher than normal call volume - it will be a while and they will just tell you what I told you."

Pianoman: *HUCA*, immediately gets through and finds another agent to do it.

*SIGH*
hi55us likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Update - when I purchased the ticket and called in, the agent was insistent that what I was "REALLY" doing was trying to switch to a different itinerary requiring her to reprice the ticket. It went like this...

Pianoman: "Hi, I'm currently booked on DL XXXX and would like to switch to DL YYYY. I'm seeing open seats in FC on DL YYYY so I'd like to SDC."

Agent: "I see you are within the 24-hour cancelation window, I can cancel the ticket and I can price out DL YYYY for you."

Pianoman: "No ma'am, I'd like to SDC on the flight."

Agent: "Well, you're within the 24-hour cancelation window, so this way you wouldn't have to pay the $75 change fee (she also missed that I'm a Platinum apparently)"

Pianoman: "Ma'am, I wouldn't have to pay the change fee, because I am a Platinum. Also, if I purchased that flight, it would be $1000 more."

Agent: "Well, I can't let you SDC to it because it's in a different fare class."

Pianoman (becoming angry): "Ma'am, I KNOW it is in a different fare class. But since it is a SDC into FC, there only needs to be seats available. A FC SDC doesn't require same fare class."

Agent: "I am unable to help you."

Pianoman: "Let me speak to a supervisor."

Agent: "We are experiencing higher than normal call volume - it will be a while and they will just tell you what I told you."

Pianoman: *HUCA*, immediately gets through and finds another agent to do it.

*SIGH*
I really don’t understand why this policy is so frequently misunderstood by agents. Except the changes due to dedicated Comfort+ fares, I think the policy has been unchanged for the past half decade.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:46 pm

I hope you gave her a stick (1) at the end of the call.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I hope you gave her a stick (1) at the end of the call.
I didn't, because when it transferred to the supervisor, I didn't want to downvote her - the supervisor was AWESOME. Apologized profusely and made sure it was taken care of. Said she would've given me miles if she could and that she would definitely speak to the agent who was so grossly misinformed.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I've had agents insist that you cant SDC when you purchase ticket same day. When pushed they never can find the section in policy that says that.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rucksack
I really don’t understand why this policy is so frequently misunderstood by agents. Except the changes due to dedicated Comfort+ fares, I think the policy has been unchanged for the past half decade.
It's because when they go to automatically revalidate and change it, their system errors out when the fare classes don't match. (I had a really nice agent once try to do it, then put me on hold, then come back and say exactly that - she tried it herself but it errored because of fare class mismatch, and she was told by whomever she called to support her that for F SDC, they manually override when the fare buckets aren't the same)

They have to manually override it, but some are unwilling to do so, thinking they can get in trouble or whatever other reason. Usually, once they consult with a Supe and are told to override it, the Supe documents the record and they're then miraculously fine with it.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I've had agents insist that you cant SDC when you purchase ticket same day. When pushed they never can find the section in policy that says that.
Exactly. I purchased a J award and there was a schedule change on Saturday (I bought it late Friday night) that caused me to misconnect; called, and it involved AF and KL segments, and when the agent called AFKL to get their new flights in the record, it took him a few minutes because he said AFKL wanted to cancel and reprice the ticket given it was within risk free, instead of even exchanging it.

He got it done, but what a joke. (because the only other itinerary they could get me on was pricing at 3x the miles, but that's not my problem)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: DL DM
I'm probably the only one on this side of the line but I would not be surprised if the rules don't get changed to close this scenario.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I think this is an edge case ... we FTers aren’t representative of most of the traveling population
emrdoc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.