Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX blocks awards to SEA destinations in early FEB 20?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite

I have been searching for AVIOS award availability from HKG to various nearby destinations such as HAN, SGN, BKK, CNX, HKT, RGN, MNL, KUL for 8 or 9 February. But there is ZERO availability (neither in Y or C - I find availability to TPE though) The first available date is Tuesday 11 Feb where there is plenty of availability to these destinations. It looks very strange to me - zero availability for 6 -10 FEB but plenty the following day(s). CX blocks awards for 6-10 FEB - or they haven't been released yet? Or this is specifik for AVIOS awards?
Old May 26, 2019, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
CX regional releases to BA have been extremely sparse for close to two years now. There's really no point puzzling over a particular date. They may or may not release space as the dates draw closer. I've seen HKG-BKK suddenly open up about six weeks prior to departure, then shut back down.

btw, it's not a "block," it's an issue of whether CX releases space in the first instance. "Block" would be BA blocking space that CX has otherwise made available to partners.
Old May 26, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I guess CX finally listened to their own members.
Old May 26, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Maybe this title should be renamed to "CX blocks partner awards"...? Otherwise the title seems factually incorrect. This is the CX / Asia Miles forum, and you can most certainly redeem using CX Asia Miles!

Or perhaps better posted in the BA forum?
fallinasleep likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I guess CX finally listened to their own members.
That would imply that seats were available to MPO/ Asia Miles members. For some destinations (e.g. SIN), they’re also excessively hard to find these days, even with plenty of notice.

If SQ has redemption space wide open in Y, PEY and J on most/all flights over a period of a few days, I find it hard to believe that all the CX seats on those days have already been snapped up.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:56 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Chinese New Year starts on January 25th next year, and the two weeks or so following is the busiest travel period to/from/within China (and probably the busiest anywhere and anytime in the world).

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't release any award space for those two weeks plus the following weekend, until February 9-10. And in they off chance they did release award space, I would expect it to be all taken almost as soon as it is released.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:51 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I checked randomly HKG-MNL on 8 February. On Asia Miles there is plenty of Y availability. But there is none on Avios.

BA has been sometimes "blocking" online booking of CX flights apparently due to fraud, so you might find availability if you call BA for it.
fallinasleep likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.

I was also thinking that maybe CX hadn't released award seats to BA/Avios (yet) and the previous poster seem to confirm that when plenty of Y seats are available on Asia Miles - but I'm puzzled by the fact that on 11 FEB and onwards there are plenty of Avios award seats to the regional destination I have searched for; until 11FEB there are none, so surely something is up with these dates in early FEB. CNY is on 25 JAN and my travel date is 2 weeks later. I'm aware the influx of Chinese tourist to all holiday destinations in SEA during CNY, but surely 2 weeks later CNY traveling should be over? - and mind you I'm looking for a flight FROM HKG, i.e. in the other direction of travelers going home from holiday destinations in SEA.

Anyway, I will try give BA a call.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:05 am

I thought there was/is a rule among OW members that they must make award availability for each other (about) the same?
Old May 27, 2019, 12:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
I thought there was/is a rule among OW members that they must make award availability for each other (about) the same?
No - there can't be discrepancies across partners for partner award inventory, but the 'home' airline can certainly offer more for their own program.

I'm glad to see that it seems CX is taking corrective action and offering more AM awards over partner redemptions. And fellow MPC members should always report to MPC if they see otherwise! (Even though I maintain my stance that MPC is completely rubbish as an FFP)
Old May 28, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I was also thinking that maybe CX hadn't released award seats to BA/Avios (yet) and the previous poster seem to confirm that when plenty of Y seats are available on Asia Miles - but I'm puzzled by the fact that on 11 FEB and onwards there are plenty of Avios award seats to the regional destination I have searched for; until 11FEB there are none, so surely something is up with these dates in early FEB. CNY is on 25 JAN and my travel date is 2 weeks later. I'm aware the influx of Chinese tourist to all holiday destinations in SEA during CNY, but surely 2 weeks later CNY traveling should be over? - and mind you I'm looking for a flight FROM HKG, i.e. in the other direction of travelers going home from holiday destinations in SEA.

Anyway, I will try give BA a call.
It is married segment logic issue. In essence, at certain times of the year, there are no partner award availability for HKG - XXX (with XXX being SE Asian destinations). However, there are plenty if you look for ZZZ - XXX. I've seen this several times in the past year or so. For some reasons CX didn't make HKG - CGK award available to partner airlines during the week I wanted to fly but plenty the week before and after. LOL ... it makes me wonder if MPC is still upset I dumped her for a prettier programme . Anyway, ya, I tested this earlier today and as expected, I saw availability on the 8th and 9th to KUL on both KA and MH if you put TPE - KUL instead of HKG - KUL. Same with BKK. I didn't try the other SE Asian airports you mentioned above but I suspect they are the same.

This does require you to call the airline. I never tried it with Avios because I don't have BA status but here's what I did with AA. I called AA to book TPE - XXX. Once it was booked, I asked the agent to drop TPE - HKG segment and keep HKG - XXX. Both HKG and TPE are in the same AA award region so it doesn't make a difference. I don't know how/if this will work with BA since BA charges you by segment. If it does work, do let us know.

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I'm glad to see that it seems CX is taking corrective action and offering more AM awards over partner redemptions.
At first I thought so too but now I wonder because CX blocks HKG - XXX but not TPE - XXX. Is this about making for more awards available to MPC/AM members or is this about making sure HKG remains a captive market? I'm thinking the latter. This is to ensure HKG based flyers have very limited FFP options - even within the OW family. Thoughts? Am I just being cynical?
toplayer likes this.

Last edited by Rivarix; May 28, 2019 at 10:47 am
Old May 28, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It is clearly a married segment íssue. I see plenty of availability TPE-HKG-BKK/SGN etc for my dates online.

I called BAEC. No availability for HKG-BKK/SGN/HAN etc but agent could see plenty of award seats TPE-HKG-XXX (the same I see online) but agent explain that it is not possible to book TPE-HKG-XXX and remove TPE-HKG segment afterwards. I just thanked agent for the time and assistance. Not sure if this is a HUCA situation or not.

PS. Agent had no knowledge of the higher Avios points required for partner awards from 30 May (but knew that it will change of this date)
toplayer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.