Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Book Fifth Night Free Just to Check out Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 11:50 am
Original Poster

I have an upcoming stay for four nights. My flight home doesn't take off until 9:00 pm. Given that Marriott/Bonvoy offers the fifth night Free, is there a downside to booking five nights but just leaving at 7:00 pm rather than staying the night?
Old May 26, 2019, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
No downside. Just don't bother telling them you're leaving at 7pm. Let them check you out automatically the next morning. Makes for less confusion.

Cheers.
jalves, JBord, SacTownGuy and 4 others like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:09 pm

absolutely do it, there's no downside and you'll get the extra night credit
Brendan likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
No downside. Just leave and do mobile checkout the next day. No need to inform the front desk of anything
Brendan likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I actually booked a couple of four night reward stays with fifth night free at a ski resort property in high season next year. The thing is I really only need four nights each time. The remaining fifth night is selling for about 800$ a night each time. Too bad there isn't some way to sell the night back to the property for a credit or something. Could be a win/win I think.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
No downside. Just don't bother telling them you're leaving at 7pm. Let them check you out automatically the next morning. Makes for less confusion.

Cheers.
This. Definitely less confusing, plus you'll get the extra night for status purposes. If you actually check out early, you'll only get 4 nights credit.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:44 pm

Just make sure not to leave the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door when you leave. If happen to be awake the next morning, checking out online or by calling the hotel and saying "I left but didn't get a chance to tell anyone" is a nice thing to do because Housekeeping can go in and clean the room right away. That action might help another guest get into a room a few hours early.
Brendan and TGLoyalty like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only marginal downside is some localities, mostly in Europe, charge per night taxes. You are liable for taxes for fifth night if you book five nights. It is typically only a few Euros though.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by eyeball1
I actually booked a couple of four night reward stays with fifth night free at a ski resort property in high season next year. The thing is I really only need four nights each time. The remaining fifth night is selling for about 800$ a night each time. Too bad there isn't some way to sell the night back to the property for a credit or something. Could be a win/win I think.
I would suggest that you don't try that with St. Regis Aspen. They may find something in the T&C to charge you a large sum, for your failure to sleep there on the fifth night.

[To clarify, I meant don't tell them so that they may sell the fifth night. Just leave and check out thru the app the next day]

Last edited by EdofFX; May 26, 2019 at 10:12 pm
Old May 27, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
5th night

Originally Posted by milemonkey
I have an upcoming stay for four nights. My flight home doesn't take off until 9:00 pm. Given that Marriott/Bonvoy offers the fifth night Free, is there a downside to booking five nights but just leaving at 7:00 pm rather than staying the night?
No downside. I do this all the time even if I will not be using the room. You get 1 additional elite night credit if nothing else.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyeball1
Why bother booking the extra free night if you aren't planning to use it? I understand if you think there's a chance you'll stay for a 5th night but otherwise total price is the same for 4 vs. 5 -- so you're just taking inventory from someone else (either paying cash or points)
Old May 27, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Why bother booking the extra free night if you aren't planning to use it? I understand if you think there's a chance you'll stay for a 5th night but otherwise total price is the same for 4 vs. 5 -- so you're just taking inventory from someone else (either paying cash or points)
It allows for a late departure on the 4th night and an extra Elite Night Credit.

James
Tanic, Brendan and margarita girl like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Why bother booking the extra free night if you aren't planning to use it?
Was the "My flight home doesn't take off until 9:00 pm" not clear/enough of a reason?
Old May 27, 2019, 6:51 pm

The whole point is that it doesn't cost more. The whoever thinks about "other people"? Maybe you should give up your hotel room for the homeless guy on the street. Wonder who needs it more.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
Was the "My flight home doesn't take off until 9:00 pm" not clear/enough of a reason?
Mixing posts here. OP said 9pm and I totally get that and said as much. This reply was to another poster who said they booked a bunch of 5th night free even though they only need 4 nights and I was curious about the rationale of that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.