Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Got a letter from customs do I answer yes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Applying for Global entry and this one question has me stumped on what to put. " Have you ever been found in violation of customs laws" I got a letter once from boarder and security about a 9 months ago about buying fake raybans. So would that mean I answer yes or are they looking for something else where I had to pay fine? Just wanted to check what the best course of action would be.
Old May 26, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Answer "no".

Receiving a letter does not amount to being found in violation.

IANAL but what I would do. (Those raybans were bought in goodwill, rite?)
Old May 26, 2019, 11:54 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Take a look at this thread:
Old May 26, 2019, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All depends on what the letter said. Did it even propose a violation which may now be pending?

You may be assured that because it was issued by CBP, it will show up when CBP runs your background for GE.

I would answer the question truthfully and then bring a copy of the letter with me. If the issue arises, either directly or even in a general way, e.g. "is there anything else you want to say," you can provide the full facts and a copy of the letter.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:49 pm

I think you are NO GO FOR GOES
Old May 27, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by sharpfish
Applying for Global entry and this one question has me stumped on what to put. " Have you ever been found in violation of customs laws" I got a letter once from boarder and security about a 9 months ago about buying fake raybans. So would that mean I answer yes or are they looking for something else where I had to pay fine? Just wanted to check what the best course of action would be.
"once got a letter ABOUT"????????

Just out of the blue, never bought raybans, never had any coversations with CBP about raybans, no nothing- just an odd letter 'about' raybans with no possible linkage to anything you might have ever done?

Sheesh
Old May 27, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
OP-- must be more to this story.

Randomly had open/used Raybans in a personal sunglass case in your bag that they told you may be fake?

or, had multiple new pairs for 'gifts' with no proof of purchase, or told Customs they were a new purchase bragging about the unbelievable price paid. I suspect it is more along these lines...

(every time I hear someone who runs into charges for buying a knockoff purse etc, I assume it's going to be over a brand new item aquired on that very trip rather than one showing wear and tear from many trips plus normal usage).
Old May 27, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
"once got a letter ABOUT"????????

Just out of the blue, never bought raybans, never had any coversations with CBP about raybans, no nothing- just an odd letter 'about' raybans with no possible linkage to anything you might have ever done?

Sheesh
Not saying it’s the same person but the circumstances remind me of a posting a while back about somebody having their GE revoked, or at least threatened to be revoked, because he had bought an illegally imported fake item. As I recall he was particularly angry as he had supposedly bought the item on Amazon and had no knowledge that it was a fake or illegally imported. I don’t recall the final resolution of that or if we ever heard the outcome. Point is, if true, the CBP might have the capability to get customer list in the case fakes and may try to track down the purchasers.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Until OP returns with the specifics of the letter and how it came about, there is absolutely no way to advise him on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.