Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What to do? Missed flight because AA app displayed wrong gate.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do? Missed flight because AA app displayed wrong gate.

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Angry What to do? Missed flight because AA app displayed wrong gate.

check the monitors. Feel like an idiot - I've flown way too much to have let this happen. Was sitting at the wrong gate for 2 hours and it dawned on me that there was hardly anyone there and the monitor didn't display departure info. Ran to the monitor, the real departing gate was in a different terminal entirely and doors were closing in 15 minutes. Needless to say I didn't make it.

Lesson learned - don't depend on crappy airline apps.

Anyway, I'm stuck now at SFO. I got a standby pass for a 10pm flight with final arrival tomorrow morning. Which is fine... But the 10pm flight is already filled. Should I even bother to try?

I was tempted to buy a 1 one same day to my final destination, but I think my original return ticket will get cancelled. A full new roundtrip is over $1000 now for this holiday weekend.

What should I do? Try to get lucky with the standby flight? Cough up the grand for a new flight on a different airline?
Old May 25, 2019, 4:43 pm

What is your destination? Can you get there from OAK or SJC?

If you already have a return ticket, definitely don't buy another roundtrip. Just confirm with AA that you'll find your own way to your destination so the return ticket isn't cancelled.
Old May 25, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
If you already have a return ticket, definitely don't buy another roundtrip. Just confirm with AA that you'll find your own way to your destination so the return ticket isn't cancelled.
I've heard there's no guarantee they wont' do that even if you confirm with them
Old May 25, 2019, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fnord77
check the monitors. Feel like an idiot - I've flown way too much to have let this happen. Was sitting at the wrong gate for 2 hours and it dawned on me that there was hardly anyone there and the monitor didn't display departure info. Ran to the monitor, the real departing gate was in a different terminal entirely and doors were closing in 15 minutes. Needless to say I didn't make it.

Lesson learned - don't depend on crappy airline apps.

Anyway, I'm stuck now at SFO. I got a standby pass for a 10pm flight with final arrival tomorrow morning. Which is fine... But the 10pm flight is already filled. Should I even bother to try?

I was tempted to buy a 1 one same day to my final destination, but I think my original return ticket will get cancelled. A full new roundtrip is over $1000 now for this holiday weekend.

What should I do? Try to get lucky with the standby flight? Cough up the grand for a new flight on a different airline?
I've heard there's no guarantee they wont' do that even if you confirm with them
Are you talking to AA now at the airport?
The longer you leave it the less chance you have of salvaging something.
If AA have put you on standby for a later flight, you some chance. Some people may no show for that flight. (wonder why or how that could happen )
Old May 25, 2019, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Are you talking to AA now at the airport?
The longer you leave it the less chance you have of salvaging something.
If AA have put you on standby for a later flight, you some chance. Some people may no show for that flight. (wonder why or how that could happen )
Yeah, AA has me on standby for a 10pm flight. I'm also going to hedge by booking an 11pm one way flight with united. Amex will let me cancel free within 24 hours (just verified this scenario on the phone with them, cancelling an hour before a flight - seems bonkers but the lady said it was fine).

What could go wrong?
Old May 25, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What could go wrong?
If you have a return flight with AA that may auto cancel. Check - confirm with AA before you leave the airport
Airline staff at airports seem to have more latitude/flexibility than airline phone operators
fnord77 likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @fnord77. Please follow the redirect as we send this to our AA forum.

Good luck ^

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old May 26, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Just curious, had you refreshed the data in the AA app? The data is cached and doesn't always update automatically, so I always "pull down" the screen to force a refresh. You'll notice in the app it shows the last time the data was updated.
wrp96, robertablake, Gerbs and 5 others like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 7:29 am

On most screens the app shows how long ago it was updated. But I always manually refresh the screen to be on the safer side
Old May 26, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
AA does have the texting service for such change and there are free services like Kayak Trips which also can send text notifications. I believe TripIt only officially offers it in the paid Pro service.

After you have been burned once, you should get ones of these options activated if your app isn't catching the changes.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Just curious, had you refreshed the data in the AA app? The data is cached and doesn't always update automatically, so I always "pull down" the screen to force a refresh. You'll notice in the app it shows the last time the data was updated.
This, always refresh your app before heading to the gate just in case. The OP definitely forgot to do that and was relying on the cached version/what was on the mobile boarding pass upon checkin.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AA-EXP
I have always found the app to be accurate with gate changes (with manual refreshes), but i also usually get texts from AA for any gate change. However, I ALWAYS double check the boards at the AC because I don't trust AA's IT team.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by rasheed
AA does have the texting service for such change and there are free services like Kayak Trips which also can send text notifications. I believe TripIt only officially offers it in the paid Pro service.

After you have been burned once, you should get ones of these options activated if your app isn't catching the changes.
The AA app or AA texts plus looking at the monitors at the airport is sufficient.
Heck ! no apps and just the monitors works too. Or (gasp) talk to a person (AA agent ) to confirm.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
This happened to me at DFW a year ago. App showed the wrong gate, missed the flight.

Now I also check the monitors.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 11:47 am

I am usually a strong opponent of anything resembling victim blaming here on FT, but...I guess today I learned that there are people who, once arriving at their gate, don’t check for things like, uh, a gate agent, other passengers, and a plane. Interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.