Wiki Posts
Search

MVPG W/ 2-Year-Old

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
MVPG W/ 2-Year-Old

Hi all. I’m curious if you have any tips for booking, best seats, overall experience etc. when flying as mom, dad and toddler on AS. In the past we’ve done lots of F, but now that he’s no longer a lap child we have to buy three seats and it’s more difficult to do that in terms of expense, using upgrade certs etc. We just had his last flight as a lap child and I need to book a flight with him in his own seats. Am I right I’m assuming we can’t qualify for premium as a party of three seated passengers? Obviously emergency exit isn’t an option either.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Only one parent is MVPG? I often use companion fare for kiddo with me as MVPG and move us to PC of not instant. Spouse can buy up to PC if no status. Using my brand of math I see that as three PC for price of one. Though if waiting for upgrade window no guarantee it will be three together.
Old May 25, 2019, 4:26 pm

My wife is MVPG and I as MVP have a 3 yr old and since she stopping being a lap child, my wife and daughter purchase together and I purchase a seperate ticket. as far as upgrades go. we have all been upgraded before on flights but its about 50%
HGPilot likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radtechtraveler
My wife is MVPG and I as MVP have a 3 yr old and since she stopping being a lap child, my wife and daughter purchase together and I purchase a seperate ticket. as far as upgrades go. we have all been upgraded before on flights but its about 50%
So, you all qualify for premium. Gold can take a companion along for the ride. Just make sure that the non-status pax is on the same PNR as the MVPG. Go in and choose premium seats when your respective windows open (midnight 3 days and 2 days before takeoff, respectively). Do not wait to be automatically moved to premium; that usually does not work. Just go select the seats as soon as it's allowed (for free)

You all can get upgraded to F too.
Old May 25, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
MVPG and kid on a single reservation window and aisle, MVP separate ticket same row aisle.
Old May 25, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Xrayman
MVPG and kid on a single reservation window and aisle, MVP separate ticket same row aisle.
OP, Now that your child is occupying a seat, be sure to open up a Mileage Plan Account for him/her. Great start on MM status.

James
VegasGambler likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
So, you all qualify for premium. Gold can take a companion along for the ride. Just make sure that the non-status pax is on the same PNR as the MVPG. ...
Originally Posted by Xrayman
I’ve seen numerous instances where the cost to buy a PC seat has been more than the difference between the lowest available non-Saver fare and the upgrade-eligible PC fare for MVPG ... if that’s the case for OP’s itinerary, MVPG and companion can book PC and select seats immediately, and MVP companion can buy the seat upgrade
Old May 25, 2019, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

I’ve seen numerous instances where the cost to buy a PC seat has been more than the difference between the lowest available non-Saver fare and the upgrade-eligible PC fare for MVPG ... if that’s the case for OP’s itinerary, MVPG and companion can book PC and select seats immediately, and MVP companion can buy the seat upgrade
I think there are only 3 pax total? OP said mom, dad, and toddler. So no one needs to pay for PC.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With kids you get extra space even without premium, first etc - you can stretch legs across, there is plenty of shoulder room etc. Just keep the ipad charged
williwaw and Idaho Territory like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.