Wiki Posts
Search

AC AP vs UA MP

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, UA Platinum, AS MVP75K, Marriott Gold
AC AP vs UA MP

Just wanted to get the pro’s thoughts here 😊. Please pardon my ignorance.

I generally take 1-2 long haul J flights on UA or *A a year (US/CAN to DEL) and 1-2 North American flights in J. Currently I’m accruing to UA and then do a quick mileage run on UA to hit the flight requirement(no spend cause of CAN address)

Is this the best approach to getting *A? Or should I look at accruing to AC? I feel like I won’t hit the spend amount.

Thanks in in advance for everyone’s comments.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you won't get the AQD, I don't think this discussion is worth having again.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you won't get the AQD, I don't think this discussion is worth having again.
Where's your sense of fun? It's been a few months since the last time we had this very same discussion.
--
13F
Old May 21, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
AC is generally less generous than UA for COS AQM/PQM bonuses, so I'm not sure if 2 long-hauls and 2 NA flights in J would even get you to even 75K on AC, let alone SE. (~43.5k for 2x YYZ-DEL r/t in Z/P, ~13.5k for 2x YYZ-SFO r/t in Z/P... AQD should be fine for 75k, but that still leaves at least 15k of flying, and the cheapest fares don't earn 100% AQM)

I'm an AC flyer who credits to UA, and I actually fly about 50%-60% of my annual segments on AC on Latitude and Flex passes, but virtually all my AC flying is between YYZ/YOW/YUL/YHZ/NYC/BOS, so I get very little AQM accrual. So while I could be a marginal qualifier for SE, it's not really worth it for me, especially not with the perennially cheap UA flights to HNL, PHX, MEX, LIM, etc. ex-YYZ.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:33 pm

You’re flying 4 times per year. Twice overseas, twice within NA. All flights in J.

If I were you I wouldn’t even bother concerning myself with status. Sure, you might get a boost on your redeemable miles, but if you’re always flying paid J you pretty much get the status perks anyways.

I’d focus on getting the best bang for my J buck, regardless of airline.

Look at the status benefits of each airline and then figure out if there are any benefits you want/need that can’t be provided via paid J, and then figure out if the value of those benefits is worth higher fares (potentially, if dedicating to a single airline going forward) or the added cost of MR’s, etc.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by YEG USER
You’re flying 4 times per year. Twice overseas, twice within NA. All flights in J.

If I were you I wouldn’t even bother concerning myself with status. Sure, you might get a boost on your redeemable miles, but if you’re always flying paid J you pretty much get the status perks anyways.

I’d focus on getting the best bang for my J buck, regardless of airline.

Look at the status benefits of each airline and then figure out if there are any benefits you want/need that can’t be provided via paid J, and then figure out if the value of those benefits is worth higher fares (potentially, if dedicating to a single airline going forward) or the added cost of MR’s, etc.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.