Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

☔ Travel Waiver: Denver Winter Weather (May 21, 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

☔ Travel Waiver: Denver Winter Weather (May 21, 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Exclamation ☔ Travel Waiver: Denver Winter Weather (May 21, 2019)

Airports:
  • Denver, CO (DEN)​
Rebook by May 25, 2019.

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx#ExceptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (not yet posted): 1+

David

Old May 21, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Yep. The talk I just went to attend was canceled. The speaker was traveling from Boulder, Colorado (I mean, I presume he hadn't been on business elsewhere).
Old May 21, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Winter weather in late May! Wow!
Old May 21, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
FWIW, the now cancelled DEN Ground Stop was UA only - specific to gates and fueling issues:

Here was the last ground stop advisory from the FAA database:

David
Old May 21, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Winter weather in late May! Wow!
I once began a 70-mile bike ride from my house in Boulder, Colorado, in 70-degree F weather on a late May morning (May 25th, to be exact). When I got to my turn-around point, I could literally see the front sweeping in from the north (I thought it wouldn't arrive until that evening ). So I beat a hasty -- well, as hasty as I could manage -- retreat home. First came the wind, then came the rain. By the time I got home it was snowing on me.

Spring on the Front Range can be a very frustrating experience.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
I picked a hell of a day to do a mileage run to Denver. Yesterday was miserable! Got upgraded at the gate on DEN-PAE, then proceeded to sit on the tarmac for almost 3 hours waiting for deicing, then ANOTHER 2 hours for an available gate after the flight was cancelled. Finally made it to my hotel - 20 miles away - at about 1AM. Was fortunate enough to get on the 9:30 AM DEN-PAE flight this AM and again got the gate UG to First, which seemed like a little bit of karmic justice after the ordeal yesterday.

Side note: my Premier Gold status match ends at midnight tonight but my flight today put me above the requisite PQM threshold. However, the flight hasnt yet posted. Does it matter if the flight posts after the cutoff, provided that the entire flight occurred before hand? Have had pretty good luck with UA the last couple months and would like to continue flying with them!
narvik likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by iapetus
I once began a 70-mile bike ride from my house in Boulder, Colorado, in 70-degree F weather on a late May morning (May 25th, to be exact). When I got to my turn-around point, I could literally see the front sweeping in from the north (I thought it wouldn't arrive until that evening ). So I beat a hasty -- well, as hasty as I could manage -- retreat home. First came the wind, then came the rain. By the time I got home it was snowing on me.
In 2001, right? That was a fun day.

I'm kind of surprised there is a waiver out there. Denver really didn't get much snow, and it's not horribly cold (not considering it's late May). Areas between DEN and COS got up to 20".
Old May 21, 2019, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Yeah, that sounds about right. It would certainly put me in the right place where I lived. That post-ride bath was looong and righteous (not to mention well-earned).
Thysk likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
Side note: my Premier Gold status match ends at midnight tonight but my flight today put me above the requisite PQM threshold. However, the flight hasnt yet posted. Does it matter if the flight posts after the cutoff, provided that the entire flight occurred before hand? ...
While it might take a few days to all percolate thru the system, you should be fine. The scheduled date of the flight is what matters.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While it might take a few days to all percolate thru the system, you should be fine. The scheduled date of the flight is what matters.
I would think so.

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Hey, wait ... how did you remember the year?
Old May 22, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by iapetus
Hey, wait ... how did you remember the year?
Mrs. Swede and I moved to Denver in December 2000, and we had just moved out of temporary housing at my parent's house and into an apartment.
iapetus likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat

I flew into Den from RDU on Mon pm minus any worthwhile jacket, 94f boarding 33 getting off and the start of the snow.
Returned Tues pm , no delays either way. Biggest issue was scraping 4 inches of snow off the car on Tower road Tues am , pretty lumpy flight both ways though
Old May 22, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
I flew into DEN from FLG on Monday am after a long delay trying to get the E145 boarded due to weight and balance issues from a quick snow shower, then deiced by a very inexperienced new crew. I was home for long enough to swap suitcases and head to DEN for my red eye flight to MCO. While it was a messy drive in from the south suburbs, it was partially clearing by the time I parked and got through security. Then they cancelled the flight and there wasn't a hotel available within 20 miles, so I drove home where the weather got worse as I went south. Woke up 4 hours later (with 10" on the ground!) to head back to DEN for my 830am flight, which was promptly delayed for 4 hours due to a delayed inbound. Finally got to MCO and 95* heat at 6pm where I was wishing I was back in the cool snow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.