Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How early can I access the lounge?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

How early can I access the lounge?

I'm a silver member and flying to Munich tomorrow at 8pm from LHR T5. I can see bag drop opens at 5am, but realistically how early could I enter the lounge? I'm planning on arriving 6-8 hours before, and working from there until my flight. Is this possible?
Old May 21, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Swiftly
I'm a silver member and flying to Munich tomorrow at 8pm from LHR T5. I can see bag drop opens at 5am, but realistically how early could I enter the lounge? I'm planning on arriving 6-8 hours before, and working from there until my flight. Is this possible?
Hi,

From 5am ( plus any time needed to clear security) BA lounges at LHR do not have a time limit on them ( except perhaps in extradordinary circumstances)

Regards

TBS
Old May 21, 2019, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for confirming. I thought this was the case, but it's not explicitly mentioned anywhere. Didn't want to turn up that early with nowhere to go!
Old May 21, 2019, 1:56 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for confirming. I thought this was the case, but it's not explicitly mentioned anywhere. Didn't want to turn up that early with nowhere to go!
As mentioned by many on here before, the lounges aren't 'all that' so you'll often do better to go to one of the bars or restaurants if you have a chunk of time. Even the first lounge at T5 is packed and uncomfortable a lot of the time although the CCR is probably better than sitting outside. So I wouldn't worry about it. B.t.w. I have been 'notified' of the 3 hour limit in lounges that have it, but I have never seen it enforced (has anyone else?). Unless you get wasted and make a plank of yourself I don't see why\how they're going to enforce it. You don't get coloured wristbands like at the swimming pool.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/Hilton Diamond/IHG Spire
See you on the flight😉
albie and orbitmic like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:01 pm

An additional datapoint. I ended up using the free heathrow wifi rather than the BA lounge wifi the other day because it was giving me better connectivity and speed. No idea whether that's usual or not, but might be relevant if your main interest is working.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
An additional datapoint. I ended up using the free heathrow wifi rather than the BA lounge wifi the other day because it was giving me better connectivity and speed. No idea whether that's usual or not, but might be relevant if your main interest is working.
the LHR WiFi was significantly upgraded about 3/4 weeks ago

DeathSlam likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
At Gatwick, has anyone had recent experience of whether LGW very very early for flight.... [Can't go airside 6+ hours before flight] is still a risk?

Last edited by ianwall; May 21, 2019 at 3:29 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 21, 2019, 3:17 pm

The lounge in T5B is probably going to be quieter than either lounge in T5A, especially the area on the left as you walk in towards the washrooms. You can use the walkway on -4 to walk back to A (where your MUC flight will probably leave from).
DeathSlam likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:30 pm

That's actually a really good plan. Go to B then come back. B can get busy sometimes but it's nothing compared to A lounges.
I've never done it myself but it totally makes sense.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The new wifi at Heathrow gets to 100 mb/s in quiet areas such as T5C, it was announced on 5 April but installed a few days before then. Boingo is the new provider, and they are using Passpoint and Hotspot 2.0 technology to make the connection much more speedy than the previous login process.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by ianwall
At Gatwick, has anyone had recent experience of whether LGW very very early for flight.... [Can't go airside 6+ hours before flight] is still a risk?
Yes, though I didn’t push it as I only needed to dawdle for 20 minutes or so.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
That's actually a really good plan. Go to B then come back. B can get busy sometimes but it's nothing compared to A lounges.
I've never done it myself but it totally makes sense.
For that amount of time, a trip to the T5B lounge is essential. Easy to walk back to A gates through the tunnel.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Crofton138
For that amount of time, a trip to the T5B lounge is essential. Easy to walk back to A gates through the tunnel.
Need to post the usual health warning about *not* using the train on the way back (which takes you to immigration not back to A gates).
Old May 22, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/Hilton Diamond/IHG Spire
Good job it’s going from C gate today!
DeathSlam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.