Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Can Alaska check me into a CX flight and issue BPs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE

I am flying XXX-LAX-HKG. The first segment is with Alaska and the second is with Cathay. This is one ticket, and this is an AS award ticket. Can Alaska check me in and issue me the boarding pass for my second segment?

Thank you.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I am flying XXX-LAX-HKG. The first segment is with Alaska and the second is with Cathay. This is one ticket, and this is an AS award ticket. Can Alaska check me in and issue me the boarding pass for my second segment?

Thank you.
Most likely, and CX will still want you to get an actual CX pass on CX ticket stock (and if you have checked bags, you'll want to have that receipt handy). When you get to LAX, make sure you stay airside from T-6 to TBIT (underground T-6 to T-5 to T-4), from T-4, there's a walkway (at departure level) over to TBIT. Go to the lounge (assuming you've got access) and see if you can get the BP swapped. If not, go down to the gate about an hour before departure.

As a back-up, also try OLCI for a CX BP.

I've never not had the connecting int'l carrier, whether on *A, AS partner, etc., not rip up my original BP and reprint on its own BP stock.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Most likely, and CX will still want you to get an actual CX pass on CX ticket stock (and if you have checked bags, you'll want to have that receipt handy). When you get to LAX, make sure you stay airside from T-6 to TBIT (underground T-6 to T-5 to T-4), from T-4, there's a walkway (at departure level) over to TBIT. Go to the lounge (assuming you've got access) and see if you can get the BP swapped. If not, go down to the gate about an hour before departure.

I've never not had the connecting int'l carrier, whether on *A, AS partner, etc., not rip up my original BP and reprint on its own BP stock.
Last time I connected AS –> OneWorld at TBIT, Alaska printed my connecting OneWorld boarding pass. The OneWorld lounge said they couldn't print a new bp for me, but said it didn't matter that I had an Alaska BP.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I've been given onward BPs when checking in with AS for an AA award, but not for JL, for what it's worth.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
CX reissued my BPs at the gate the last time I did SEA-LAX-HKG-BKK on them. I checked in on the mobile app and used that to get into the QF F lounge.
Buster CT1K likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
CX reissued my BPs at the gate the last time I did SEA-LAX-HKG-BKK on them. I checked in on the mobile app and used that to get into the QF F lounge.
On a J revenue LA ticket I flew SCL-MAD-DXB-ICN-HKG-NRT on LA, EK, EK, KE & CX. LA in SCL gave me BP's for all 5 segments. No CX BP was reissued. Strangely, though, they could only check my baggage to HKG. At the CX tranfer desk in HKG they retrieved my baggage, cleared it through customs, retagged it and attached the new baggage tag number to my BP.

On a second trip through SCL I was flying SCL-MAD-LHR-SEZ... and they wanted to check my baggage through to SEZ with a 23h layover in LHR. I had to ask them to short check it to LHR.

It is always good to pay attention to baggage tags before they leave check-in. A CX BP hasn't been a reqirement from my experience.

James
Old May 20, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
On a J revenue LA ticket I flew SCL-MAD-DXB-ICN-HKG-NRT on LA, EK, EK, KE & CX. LA in SCL gave me BP's for all 5 segments. No CX BP was reissued. Strangely, though, they could only check my baggage to HKG. At the CX tranfer desk in HKG they retrieved my baggage, cleared it through customs, retagged it and attached the new baggage tag number to my BP.

On a second trip through SCL I was flying SCL-MAD-LHR-SEZ... and they wanted to check my baggage through to SEZ with a 23h layover in LHR. I had to ask them to short check it to LHR.

It is always good to pay attention to baggage tags before they leave check-in. A CX BP hasn't been a reqirement from my experience.

EDIT: I didn't have any issues with lounge access anywhere along the route. The contract lounge for EK in MAD made a call to EK for confirmation though.

James
Old May 20, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I may be wrong, but I believe I've read that the maximum number of segments that can be on one baggage tag is 4.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS AA
My experience with 5 segments on a single UA ticket was that UA printed out two tags and attached side by side to my bag.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
I may be wrong, but I believe I've read that the maximum number of segments that can be on one baggage tag is 4.
Interesting, I didn't consider that.

Thanks,

James
Old May 21, 2019, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

Originally Posted by sturges
Last time I connected AS –> OneWorld at TBIT, Alaska printed my connecting OneWorld boarding pass. The OneWorld lounge said they couldn't print a new bp for me, but said it didn't matter that I had an Alaska BP.
If you do not have access to the lounge or the lounge is unwilling to reprint for you, there are self serve check in machines on the "bridge" from T4 to TBIT. Scan your passport or enter your confirmation number and you will get a "CX" boarding pass.

Last edited by aznichiro115; May 21, 2019 at 12:41 am
Old May 21, 2019, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Useful info! Thanks, everyone!
Old May 22, 2019, 12:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I also have not had luck with the QF F lounge issuing CX boarding passes - had to go to the gate. Mobile did work though ^

And yes, AS typically can print (on their ticket stock) the CX flights.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:02 am
Original Poster

AS told me they couldn’t print and OLCI didn’t work. But I was able to print at the kiosk airside between T4 and TBIT. Precheck also worked (possibly because I called in in advance to CX to make sure first name and last name matched up correctly in Secure Flight). Thanks again to all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.