Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Travelling with a cello on BA sounds like a nightmare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

If you're on Twitter, and are interested not only in travel but also in classical music, the cellist Stephen Isserlis is a delightful person to follow. Sadly (for him), many of his tweets consist of a diary of the tribulations of travelling with a Stradivarius cello (booked on a separate ticket and travelling in the same cabin). Unfortunately (and perhaps unsurprisingly), BA seems to be a constant nightmare for him, in particular today (chronological order is from bottom to top):

The last problem at Security, as he acknowledges, is nothing to do with BA. But BA's response seems to suggest they've resigned themselves to frequent apologies as opposed to actually doing something about the issue:

Wouldn't it be nice if BA's management could take some more pride in the fact that the UK is the home of so many wonderful musicians, and make an effort to celebrate this and work to be their airline of choice, rather than frustrating necessity?
Old May 19, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Such a shame that BA make it so difficult, they have specific guidelines on their website: (https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...l-instruments#)

Depending on availability, you may be able to purchase an extra seat next to you to secure your cello. It's not possible to do this online so please contact us or your travel agent at least 24 hours before your flight departs.

If you arrive at the airport and haven't booked an extra seat in advance, please speak to a British Airways representative. If there are seats available in the cabin you are travelling in, you may be able to buy an extra seat. Otherwise you will need to check your instrument in.

If you have bought a seat in the cabin for your cello, you will need extra time to secure it in place. To avoid flight delays, you'll be able to board before other passengers. Please make your way to your boarding gate as soon as it is announced and make yourself known to the gate team.

How to secure your cello on board
On another note, I was lucky enough to play his cello a number of years ago after one of his concerts (in Norwich) and it was an absolute joy to play and he was a great guy to chat with.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I don’t understand specifically what the issue was here but it sounds like it was made / became very complicated!

I hope Cello/AMR got to its destination in one piece!
Old May 19, 2019, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Why should security staff lift HIS cello?? Is he really serious that in a hard case it can't be on the rollers?
PETER01 and nancypants like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I don’t understand specifically what the issue was here but it sounds like it was made / became very complicated!

I hope Cello/AMR got to its destination in one piece!
Unfortunately, it seems to be the same recurrent problems (chronicled humorously although it must be very frustrating) almost every time he flies with BA (bad at outstations, of course, but surprisingly also at LHR, where they should know better).
Old May 19, 2019, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Why should security staff lift HIS cello?? Is he really serious that in a hard case it can't be on the rollers?
Clearly it is an issue. I imagine he would have done it himself if the design of the belt allowed it.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Why should security staff lift HIS cello??
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I think HAL staff are being unfairly brought into this. It's not their job to lift such things, especially delicate musical instruments.

It comes across as a bit unfair to them as well as putting him in a little bit of a DYKWIA light but perhaps there is/should be another easier way of getting it through security?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
I sat next to a cello on a flight back from IST once, with a horrific hangover.

It was a truly horrendous experience.
Greenpen likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Indeed. He'd have been screaming blue murder if they had dropped it or banged it on the side of the belt for example.

I'd have thought it would have been too big to go through the scanner anyway.
nancypants and wilsnunn like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As far as the baggage belt goes, if it isn't suitable for the regular checkin desks' system, is there not an oversize baggage acceptance point where the passenger can take it?
Old May 19, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by PETER01
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I think HAL staff are being unfairly brought into this. It's not their job to lift such things, especially delicate musical instruments.

It comes across as a bit unfair to them as well as putting him in a little bit of a DYKWIA light but perhaps there is/should be another easier way of getting it through security?
Originally Posted by Speedbird676

Indeed. He'd have been screaming blue murder if they had dropped it or banged it on the side of the belt for example.

I'd have thought it would have been too big to go through the scanner anyway.
Exactly, security have more than enough to do without being all 'la-de-da' about someone who thinks he's a big shot with his stratospheric cello. Why should they have to take care with other people's belongings FGS..?? It's not like it's THEIR stuff.
I also once had to sit beside a cello and it was the WORST nightmare of my life.
If I was in charge it would be pulped and turned into copies of the daily mail anyway.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
As far as the baggage belt goes, if it isn't suitable for the regular checkin desks' system, is there not an oversize baggage acceptance point where the passenger can take it?
It doesn't go in the hold, it travels with its own seat assignment.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird676

One can only imagine. I sat next to a violin once and it too had a hangover. Very grumpy. A cello would be even worse. 😄
Old May 19, 2019, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
It doesn't go in the hold, it travels with its own seat assignment.
Oh - so this was at security then , I see - why should airport staff be touching it at all then ? suppose that they damaged it?
Old May 19, 2019, 7:01 am

I don’t quite get it. The musician bought an extra seat for his cello but HAL staff asked him to go back to BA to have it checked in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.