Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel refuse to reserve external restaurants?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel refuse to reserve external restaurants?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
Thumbs down Hotel refuse to reserve external restaurants?

I'll be a staying guest for Westin Rusutsu in a few weeks. I emailed the hotel to ask them to help me book a lunch at a Japanese restaurant that's not part of the hotel. I didn't want to call the restaurant myself since I don't speak Japanese and they only accept telephone bookings (and I'm not in Japan). The hotel refused saying: "Due to hotel responsibility issue , Reservation Center is not able to make a restaurant reservation outside of Hotel. I am sorry for this inconvenience."

I have never had any hotels refuse to make an external booking for me. I've emailed them to push back and now they have decided ignoring my emails is the best way forward. What can I do?
Old May 19, 2019, 1:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Call the hotel, and ask to speak with the concierge. I'm somewhat surprised your email wasn't forwarded there in the first place.
chgoeditor likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If that doesn't work, call or email the restaurant & book the reservation yourself . Don't assume the restaurant staff don't speak English. Use Skype if you don't want to spend the $$ to call int'l long distance.

Cheers.
karenkay likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I wonder if the restaurant refuse foreigner booking and the hotels attempt to make excuse is pretty much failed ?
Old May 19, 2019, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7
I wonder if the restaurant refuse foreigner booking and the hotels attempt to make excuse is pretty much failed ?
"Reservation Center" suggests to me that the email did not find its way to the concierge.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:50 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I have stayed at Westin Rusutsu before. I would be surprised if once you are at the hotel they refused to help you. There might have been communication issues due to English on occasion, but willingness to help was always there.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by moondog
"Reservation Center" suggests to me that the email did not find its way to the concierge.
Just sounds to me like this email went to a central service center, not the actual hotel. Just like when you call "reservations" for a property (or select through the phone tree) you're not actually getting the front desk. So I would assume that to be the explanation.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call the hotel during the business day and ask for the concierge. Explain to the concierge what you want done. I will be surprised if he does not accommodate or explain why he cannot do what you ask.

As others note, if you have not called the restaurant yourself, you should not presume that there is not an English-speaking staff person to take your call.

For the benefit of others, if you send emails to a property, make certain that you are emailing the correct person. Generic mailboxes often get misrouted, not answered or misunderstood.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Watergate
Some restaurants do not want to book for foreigners and others will basically blacklist hotels that reserve seats for people who never show. There's a chance that one of these things may be the problem, or you just didn't get put through to the right people. Call the hotel directly.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
That is exactly what the conceirge is for.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Often1
For the benefit of others, if you send emails to a property, make certain that you are emailing the correct person. Generic mailboxes often get misrouted, not answered or misunderstood.
... exacerbated by Marriott's decision to stop publishing email addresses of hotels.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
... exacerbated by Marriott's decision to stop publishing email addresses of hotels.
But, they do still publish phone numbers, and we're only talking about a 5 minute call (ten cents on Skype).

+81 136-46-2111
Old May 20, 2019, 12:39 am

I found the hotel’s response a tad bizarre: “Due to hotel responsibility issue, Reservation Center is not able to make a restaurant reservation outside of Hotel. I am sorry for this inconvenience."

What exactly is “hotel responsibility issue”?

And for goodness sake then hand over to someone else who can assist with the request!
Old May 20, 2019, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I found the hotel’s response a tad bizarre: “Due to hotel responsibility issue, Reservation Center is not able to make a restaurant reservation outside of Hotel. I am sorry for this inconvenience."

What exactly is “hotel responsibility issue”?

And for goodness sake then hand over to someone else who can assist with the request!
1. The reservation center people presumably suck at English
2. They responded with a template message
3. If the OP had messaged them in Japanese, all would be good
4. Simply calling the hotel is super easy
Old May 20, 2019, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
Thanks all. A bit more pushing got them to pass it onto someone who knows how to make a booking. Definitely think it’s a language plus the “reservation” centre not knowing they could and should pass it on. GM emailed me to sort things out pleasantly and quickly.

Indeed agree that marriott’s decision not to publish emails is quite bizarre. Emails make it very easy to freely communicate with hotels prior to arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.