Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting on two separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Global Entry
Connecting on two separate tickets

This would be transferring from NCL to BOS flight (T5 to T5), the NCL flight arrives at 07:25 and the US flight leaves at 11:15. The NCL is in Club and booked using avios and the BOS flight is in First. I would have baggage to collect and re-check-in. Is this too risky? I can change the NCL flight to the night before and stay in the sofitel or I could change the BOS flight for a change fee of $500.

I thought it was ok when I booked this, but now I'm getting concerned.

Last edited by tiger07; Apr 25, 2019 at 12:31 pm Reason: correcting a term
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You do not have a connection. Thus, it is all about your personal risk tolerance. Just under four hours is, of course, plenty of time to handle the transfer between tickets, so the issue is solely the consequence of a delay on your first segment. Given that it is long-haul in F, I would feel a lot safer flying in the night before.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Of course you don't have 3 hrs 50 mins you have 2 hours 50 mins because you'll need to have dropped your bags off at least an hour before the BOS departure time.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by Often1
Thus, it is all about your personal risk tolerance.
This, I'd stick with it but that's because my risk tolerance is within the parameters of what you have outlined. Purely personal decision
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
If joining up with a long haul, I'd always go the night before. If you hit trouble on the outbound there are options to recover the situation, not least the train, you don't have a single point of failure as it were. I'm a lot more cavalier at the end of a trip though as there's far less at stake.

Not sure I'd stay in the Sofitel, there are plenty of excellent cheaper hotels close by with free buses.
WickedStepMother and Jimmie76 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would be OK with that - indeed I'm currently in the middle of a 4 hour connection at LHR between NCL and EZE on separate tickets. HBO though. In my case I worked out that if the LHR-NCL service didn't run I had enough time to get to Heathrow by train if necessary. I'm fairly laid back by this, I know the risks, mitigate them a bit (HBO, Plan B). It's not for everyone, I know of plenty of people who would be terrified at doing this. So it's more a question for you really, what would happen if something went wrong? How would you react?
Ldnn1, orbitmic, squawk and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I take a very similar approach. In most cases I need to know I have a backup plan should my flight be late. I'll be more proactive about this if I've a long journey ahead of me and more relaxed if it's towards the end of a trip where the cost implications are not so great. In the OP's position I would go the night before. If there was a problem with the flight the night before I know I'd always have time to drive down if absolutely necessary.

Last edited by golfmad; Apr 25, 2019 at 2:40 pm
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:06 pm

You'll be fine. There are another 3 BA flights (normally) to BOS after yours, but of course there may be some form of financial penalty if things don't go your way.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
If you speak nicely to the agent at check-in, they may put your bags straight through to BOS. Whilst not generally allowed on separate PNRs, I was surprised when flying MAN-LHR-NRT (CE then First) at the end of March that my bag was loaded straight through to Tokyo without needing to collect and re-check at LHR. I had allowed 4 hours at LHR so it meant extra time in the CCR! My luggage was also checked straight through from HND-LHR-MAN on the return journey, again, two separate PNRs.

I was comfortable with the 4 hours at LHR on the outbound but I knew that I had time to catch a train if my MAN-LHR flight was cancelled or significantly delayed.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
If you have sufficient status and there is an avios flight the night before change, I’d change personally, you don’t have alternative ways to get to Heathrow on time in the event of a delay notified at the ETD.

On the flip side, the aircraft night stops in NCL and T5A arrival the risk of a delay is minimal and even an hours holding delay you should be fine.

Incidentally, which Heathrow hotels offer ‘free airport bus’, I thought most used the Heathrow Hotel Hopper at cost.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Most of the Bath Road hotels are in a free bus zone, i.e. you can take a red bus from the terminal or central bus station and go there without charge. Even when just outside, you can either walk from the free zone or tap in with a contactless card, and it's a lot cheaper than the Hoppa.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/he...ocal_buses.htm
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by navylad

<snip>
Incidentally, which Heathrow hotels offer ‘free airport bus’, I thought most used the Heathrow Hotel Hopper at cost.

All hotels on Bath Rd, max eastern limit Harlington Corner, are inside the free Heathrow travel zone, and thus eligible for free travel on the public buses, Hilton Garden Inn at Hatton Cross also within the zone, possibilities of free bus or preferrable the much quicker Piccadilly Tube line

Edit: bisonrav beat me to that answer, made a pause to get a Coke before posting
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, the NCL flight was booked using avios, I felt confident that as the flight nightstops in NCL that I wouldn't be delayed from a late inbound flight (although if something happens to plane then that's a different story). I'm going to play this by ear and see how the weather etc is closer to the time at which point I can make a decision about whether or not to go down the night before.

On the flip side, I am flying in from DEL on the BA142 and I am supposed to arrive at 08:30 and the outbound to NCL is at 18:15, for this particular situation I was definitely being risk averse.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The flight could still be delayed despite the night stop.

If the LHR-NCL the previous evening was delayed long enough to start to impinge into the crew rest time the NCL-LHR the next morning would be delayed to take account of that.

I'm not saying it will but it still a possibility.
KeaneJohn and Jimmie76 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:57 am
Original Poster

I thought I would update this thread with the outcome, in the end I decided that I could take the risk. Indeed when I arrived at NCL to check in for the 6:05 flight my bags were checked through to BOS even though the flights were on separate tickets. The NCL-LHR was avios and LHR-BOS was revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.