Avios for long haul from uk domestic

Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,
Avios for long haul from uk domestic

Hi - maybe I missed this but I thought that from UK domestic airports the short leg was in effect free with Avios. I booked one way JER-HKG and it was 99000 (peak club) rather than the 90000 from LHR. Is this new, was I imagining it or is it a mistake?

Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I saw something like this the other day too, on YYZ-LHR-NCL, I didn't need to pursue it so I couldn't ring up to find out what was going on. Your understanding is correct, and I too think this is a mistake.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes this seems to be a recent glitch. There has been no announcement to say domestic connections to long haul rewards now incur extra avios. Just call to book.

Some more discussion in the issues thread and the 2-4-1 thread.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes this seems to be a recent glitch. There has been no announcement to say domestic connections to long haul rewards now incur extra avios. Just call to book.

Some more discussion in the issues thread and the 2-4-1 thread.
I did call - did this over the phone and the response was - that's what the computer says.....its teh first half of a 241 so will wait and see what the total is.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I queried this yesterday on Twitter and received this reply. I tried many dummy bookings to the USA and I cant see anything in the T and Cs for BA, BAEC or on the Speedbird Club site but I'm sure there was a clause stating this before

I do hope it's a glitch!!!

Hi there PETER01, We're not really able to help with quotes but as far as I remember, you're now charged an Avios amount for domestic add-ons. It's been like that for a while though so not sure how long it's been since you last booked?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
I queried this yesterday on Twitter and received this reply.

Hi there PETER01, We're not really able to help with quotes but as far as I remember, you're now charged an Avios amount for domestic add-ons. It's been like that for a while though so not sure how long it's been since you last booked?

I
like this for a while? Shows how much the twitter team know

EDIT: Just for reference I called to add some domestic flights on a long haul reward about 2 weeks ago. No additional avios charged exactly as expected.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:46 am

like this for a while? Shows how much the twitter team know
In fairness to them they probably don't have a full knowledge on these sort of things.

I'll call up later to enquire and report back. I really hope it's not a stealth way of adding the Avios for us in the regions but my instinct is that it is a glitch.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
In fairness to them they probably don't have a full knowledge on these sort of things.
indeed. So why give an answer based on ignorance? I wonder how many people have just taken their word and now mistakenly incurred extra avios.

I'll call up later to enquire and report back. I really hope it's not a stealth way of adding the Avios as for us in the regions.
thanks. Do report back. To be fair to BA when they have done changes like this they have announced them with some notice and not just done it in the background in silence - this is what makes me strongly believe it is a glitch rather than an official change. Thats not to say they wouldnt change it in future and remove this benefits of course
PETER01 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
I had the same issue booking the first part of a 2-4-1 over the weekend. Before the 2-4-1 was applied the charge for 2 x F GLA-LHR-DEN was 218,000, where it was 200,000 from LHR. As I was booking it online and knew I had to add on the return leg on later this week, I went ahead and booked it.

I tired calling the Gold Line, who passed me to the Avios Team, who then tried to pass to pass me back to Gold Line but cut me off. Meaning I had no resolution.

Rather than calling back I reached out to the Twitter team (who are normally great). At first I got the same reply as others. However when I pushed back asking when the policy changed etc, they then opened a case and are investigating it. They said they needed a few days to look into it.

Not it had an update yet but that was only on Tuesday.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

indeed. So why give an answer based on ignorance? I wonder how many people have just taken their word and now mistakenly incurred extra avios.
^ Exactly. Ignorance would certainly not be a good reason to answer based on a "hunch", in fact, quite the contrary.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
HKG to MAN showing +4K one way

Originally Posted by brithk
Hi - maybe I missed this but I thought that from UK domestic airports the short leg was in effect free with Avios. I booked one way JER-HKG and it was 99000 (peak club) rather than the 90000 from LHR. Is this new, was I imagining it or is it a mistake?
spotted the same yesterday looking at a one way Y redemption HKG to MAN July 4
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:37 am

Just to add by checking a dummy booking on the BA App shows free regional connections so I'd be fairly confident it's a website glitch. Not ideal though if people are using more than necessary and hopefully can claim them back if that's the case.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Resolved via telephone

I just spoke to someone on the Gold line who confirmed there had been no announcement (I can only assume the twitter team are referring to Short haul which would be correct) and it was a glitch.
After a short while he came back and they have corrected it and redeposited the extra 9000 miles.

When i complete the 241 I imagine I will have to check for this too!!
Old May 1, 2019, 5:32 am

From some dummy booking quotes done this morning this problem seems to be fixed and domestic connections on long haul rewards do not incur additional avios when pricing up on ba.com.

Crisis over
Old May 1, 2019, 6:31 am

From some dummy booking quotes done this morning this problem seems to be fixed and domestic connections on long haul rewards do not incur additional avios when pricing up on ba.com.

Crisis over
I've just not long heard from an official BAEC source that it was a glitch which I was just about to post.

I hope those that have been debited the wrong amount, probably mostly non Flyertalkers but maybe there's a few here who possibly have been, contact BA and claim them back as it could amount to a fair amount of Avios wrongly deducted and should be an easy fix for anyone affected.
KARFA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.