Search

BA9 and BA10 punctuality

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:10 am
siw
Original Poster

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
BA9 and BA10 punctuality

I have never flown BA long haul before. However, due to necessity I am having to fly BA economy class to/from BKK next week, which I'm not look forward to. flightradar24.com shows that the punctuality of BA9 and BA10 is poor for the past week. Is there some inherent reason for the consistent lateness of these flights? No doubt I get these delays as well.Thanks

Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I think this was covered recently in a different post, basically down to avoiding Pakistani airspace.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:24 am
siw
Original Poster

But according to flightradar24.com BA15/BA16 (SIN) and BA33/BA34 (KUL) are practically all on time. Aren't LHR-BKK/KUL/SIN all affected by Pakistan airspace issues as the routes are similar? Is BA9/BA10 badly delayed due to the time of day of the flights?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by siw
But according to flightradar24.com BA15/BA16 (SIN) and BA33/BA34 (KUL) are practically all on time. Aren't LHR-BKK/KUL/SIN all affected by Pakistan airspace issues as the routes are similar? Is BA9/BA10 badly delayed due to the time of day of the flights?
The detour around Pakistani airspace affects BA15/16 much less than BA9/10.

The images below shows the detour comparing flight paths from January & April on BA9, which is adding on about one hour of flying time:

Jan-19

Apr-19
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Crofton138; Apr 24, 2019 at 10:47 am
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:44 am
siw
Original Poster

Are the detours being applied to LHR-KUL and LHR-SIN? They are not being delayed, so maybe are they far enough south that they do not normally route over Pakistan? Don't flights from regions (e.g. NW Europe to SE Asia) all follow very similar routes (airways?) and peel off to their destinations?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
The detours are not being applied to all flights crossing Pakistan airspace. You will see across many carriers that one flight pairing is normal and another has to take the scenic route. Sadly, as the airspace restriction is renewed every 24-48 hours, there's no knowing for sure when it will go back to normal.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:51 am
siw
Original Poster

Thanks for the insights folks.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Also KUL and SIN have several hours on the ground down route to recover any delays - BKK is a straight turnaround in usual times for a long haul, therefore any outbound will knock on to inbound
george77300 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Virgin gold, M&M Senatorgold
Anyone know whether these delays would be covered by EU261? Would the airspace closure be extraordinary or not?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by phred007
Anyone know whether these delays would be covered by EU261? Would the airspace closure be extraordinary or not?
Definitely outside the airlines control and therefore no EU261
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies

Definitely outside the airlines control and therefore no EU261
Not sure about definitely. They are unusual, and might be considered outside the airlines control, but given they have been going on for over a month, one might argue that by now airlines should have accounted for these routing changes by adjusting block times. Schedule change >14 days prior to departure (not sure if there is even a 14 day time relevance) wouldn't affect EU261, by not changing they're causing consistent late arrivals.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Not sure about definitely. They are unusual, and might be considered outside the airlines control, but given they have been going on for over a month, one might argue that by now airlines should have accounted for these routing changes by adjusting block times. Schedule change >14 days prior to departure (not sure if there is even a 14 day time relevance) wouldn't affect EU261, by not changing they're causing consistent late arrivals.
Hadn’t thought about it that way. I would have thought that BA will still manage to get out of this one as the airspace blocks haven’t been long term announced but rather seem to be rolling, somewhat preventing an airline to make decent forward planning
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
Hadn’t thought about it that way. I would have thought that BA will still manage to get out of this one as the airspace blocks haven’t been long term announced but rather seem to be rolling, somewhat preventing an airline to make decent forward planning
I understand from comments on here that the details of whether a flight will be rerouted are only known a few days beforehand.
nick.t.davies likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC Green, DL Gold, TG ROP Gold, TK Elite
I think it's not unique to BA's operations to BKK. If you look at TG's flights to Europe recently (such as TG910/911 London; TG930/931 Paris) almost all have been consistently late, especially the westbound sector. It's due to the re-routing to avoid Pakistan airspace. On my recent flight BKK-CDG, we left BKK almost on time but still arrived nearly an hour late.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I've had friends on 2 Eva Air non-stop flights in the last 2 weeks on the non-stop LHR-BKK service (1 couple 2 days ago) - and they all missed their connecting flights onwards to KBV/HKT respectively with 90 minutes and 150 minute connection times due to much longer flying time thanks to Pakistani Airspace closure. Makes a lot of sense that it also impacts BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.