Search

BA 50 (JNB-LHR) cancelled, moved to BA54

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
BA 50 (JNB-LHR) cancelled, moved to BA54

Hi all,

I was booked on BA 50 (the daytime JNB-LHR) in early June but I got an email this morning that it has been cancelled and I’ve been moved to BA54 the previous night which isn’t a great fit for me. I’m going to be in CPT and had planned to fly to JNB the day before my flight to LHR on a separate BA/Comair ticket, that are now on the same day a few hours apart. If I call BA is there any chance they would just fly me out on CPT-LHR instead? I have an onward flight from LHR to DUB as well which now has a 14 hour layover, I’m assuming they’d be able to change this to an earlier flight too? Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is usually a 300 mile radius that applies in this situation and CPT is way over that. There is some discretion allowed, so I guess all you can do is try it by calling up. But they would probably have no problems moving the DUB flight if it is on the same booking.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If there is availability in your cabin on the CPT flight I don't see why they wouldn't agree to rebook you on it.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, there is a decent chance that BA will accommodate you on the nonstop xCPT. It has no obligation to do so and thus this is a gesture rather than a requirement. It might even have done so through auto-rebooking if you were on one ticket. But, as it stands, its systems do not even know that you want to fly from CPT. So, call and explain the situation.

If that does not work, ask BA to rebook you onto the next JNB-LHR service. That will give you some downtime at either CPT or JNB as you choose, but will not run afoul of your logistics.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Just had the same thing happen to me on our 30th Dec am flight, except they've moved us to the 30th pm flight. I have flights in from CPT and on to ATH on the same (revenue) booking. My sister is on an Avios WDH-JNB-LHR, associated for our common JNB-LHR flight. I will be in Namibia too, then running to CPT for the day. The flight change is pretty inconvenient to both of us for various reasons to do with my other flights and her maximising her leave. So we want to get BA to let us do one of the following:

1. stay in Namibia as long as possible, do WDH-JNB-LHR on 1st
2. fly WDH-CPT on 31st afternoon for New Year at our own expense, then CPT-JNB-LHR or even CPT-LHR direct on 1st
3. fly WDH-JNB-LHR on 31st

There's solid I-class availability for me on all these variations, but no award seats on anything for her.

What does the crowd think is our best bet to ask from BA?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by frb98mf
1. stay in Namibia as long as possible, do WDH-JNB-LHR on 1st
2. fly WDH-CPT on 31st afternoon for New Year at our own expense, then CPT-JNB-LHR or even CPT-LHR direct on 1st
3. fly WDH-JNB-LHR on 31st

There's solid I-class availability for me on all these variations, but no award seats on anything for her.
Assuming you are actually CPT-WDH-JNB-LHR-ATH (it's not entirely clear) then 1 and 3 should be fine, so best start with whatever your priority is. 2 looks more messy, I can't see BA entertaining an extra leg to CPT.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
BA50 has also been canned on 24th Aug.

We'e flying WDH-JNB-LHR (2 tickets). We originally had a night in JNB so this works in our favour as we couldn't get Avios tickets on the overnight flights the day before. Now we've been rebooked on the BA54 on 23rd.

The WDH flight arrives in JNB at 16.45, there are 2 BA departures that night:
BA 56 leaving at 19.20 (A380)
BA 54 leaving at 21.10 (B747)

Since we're on 2 tickets I'm thinking that we'll stick to the later departure in case of issues. What are your thoughts? We're in CW on the long haul, economy on Comair.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:13 am

So I'm Guessing there is not a daytime flight now, Was looking forward to a daytime flight on a Dreamliner.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by waynejones
So I'm Guessing there is not a daytime flight now, Was looking forward to a daytime flight on a Dreamliner.
This was exactly why I booked it, I was looking forward to not having an overnight flight.

I called the Exec Club line and they were able to move me to the later flight on the same day as my original booking as opposed to the night before, it's not ideal for what I have planned (apparently there was no availability through CPT at all ±3 days of my original booking), but it's doable, and on an A380 vs the 747 they moved me to originally.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, waynejones!
Originally Posted by waynejones
It does look like that. I haven't been through the whole timetable, but it rather looks like the 789 rotations to JNB have been cancelled after the one that departs LHR on 31 May 2019.

This is still in the timetable for those bits of northern summer 2020 that can be seen, but as ever, that is probably not particularly reliable this far out.

However, BA41 / BA40 LHR-DUR-LHR on a 788 looks like it's still in the timetable.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
BA50 has also been canned on 24th Aug.
I had a brief panic as family and I are on BA56 on the 24th Aug. I'll keep a close eye on this!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Assuming you are actually CPT-WDH-JNB-LHR-ATH (it's not entirely clear) then 1 and 3 should be fine, so best start with whatever your priority is. 2 looks more messy, I can't see BA entertaining an extra leg to CPT.
Yep, she's flying WDH-JNB-LHR, I have a separate WDH-CPT booked, and am doing CPT-JNB-LHR-ATH. They wouldn't let me mess with the routings but have managed to get timings that are viable and involve a minimal change fee for other flights, so quite happy with the outcome.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
I thought the BA50/51 JNB rotation and BA40/41 Durban rotation was the old SAA slots which BA have for 5 years, and there was an agreement that they had to be to SA
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:39 am

Smile Sir/Madam you are a genius

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Welcome to FT, waynejones!It does look like that. I haven't been through the whole timetable, but it rather looks like the 789 rotations to JNB have been cancelled after the one that departs LHR on 31 May 2019.

This is still in the timetable for those bits of northern summer 2020 that can be seen, but as ever, that is probably not particularly reliable this far out.

However, BA41 / BA40 LHR-DUR-LHR on a 788 looks like it's still in the timetable.
So had a bit of a road trip / adventure booked and this change in booking put a bit of a downer on the trip. The plan was fly 6th Sept LHR to JNB then JNB to DURBAN with BA / Comair. Pick up car for few days exploring Zulu Battlefields then DUR to Port Elizabeth, pick up car and meander down to Cape Town.
On the 20th I was supposed to fly CPT to JNB stay one night in Hotel Then get early Flight on 789 from JNB to LHR. All flights were in Business Class.
After getting the email this morning saying my flights were cancelled and moved to the later night flight. Called BA and they couldn't have done any more or been more helpful.
I have been rebooked on the 20th from CPT to DUR I will have an extra day in Durban then booked on the BA40 07.35 Boeing 788 DUR to LHR and managed to get seat 3K .
AND £7.10 refund. Happy Days.
Muttley, TTmex and Unionruler like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:05 pm

British Airways from 01JUN19 is reducing Johannesburg service from 18 to 14 weekly. Planned service reduction is also in effect in Northern winter 2019 season from 27OCT19 to 28MAR20

BA 51/ 50 operated on a #B787-9 is being dropped four times a week and this aircraft is to be used for the additional LHR-BOM service for the rest of the summer period in response to the demise of Jet Airways service and demand on the route.
KeaneJohn and Talking Penguin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.