Interline Baggage MCT

Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Interline Baggage MCT

I was flying CX806 HKG to ORD. Scheduled arrival time 13:40.

I then had a Delta flight ORD to DTW, departing 16:49.

Over 3 hour connection time. The agent at Hong Kong refused to check through the baggage.

It created a big hassle upon arrival.

Before I share my thoughts with Cathay, does anyone know the official policy or have a link? I tried to look on the website but couldn't find interline MCT details. I did see something on CXagents, which indicated 90 minutes for international to domestic, but it was not very specific.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC
If the delta flight was on a separate ticket then by my understanding the CX agent was correct not to check through baggage.

CX have a policy to check through baggage on separate tickets as a customer service courtesy to one world carriers only. Delta is not in oneworld.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Except that nowhere does CX mention oneworld on its
Through-check to final destination on separate tickets page in the FAQs - just interline partners

If Im reading correctly, seems that CX wants 120mins for I->D connections, and 6 hours when to DL!

>>
Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at ORD
Incoming airline CX
Outgoing airline DL
Flight type International to Domestic

"STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
OFFLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
** OR * ARE ALL
CX-DL ID 6.00
CX-** ID 2.00"
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I was flying CX806 HKG to ORD. Scheduled arrival time 13:40.

I then had a Delta flight ORD to DTW, departing 16:49.

Over 3 hour connection time. The agent at Hong Kong refused to check through the baggage.

It created a big hassle upon arrival.

Before I share my thoughts with Cathay, does anyone know the official policy or have a link? I tried to look on the website but couldn't find interline MCT details. I did see something on CXagents, which indicated 90 minutes for international to domestic, but it was not very specific.
I think it is DL who forced the 6 hours MCT from many non-SkyTeam airlines for I-to-D transfers. If you had a transit of 6 hours or longer, CX would have through-tagged for you. Blame DL, not CX.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I think it is DL who forced the 6 hours MCT from many non-SkyTeam airlines for I-to-D transfers. If you had a transit of 6 hours or longer, CX would have through-tagged for you. Blame DL, not CX.
The agent in Hong Kong was really horrible at communicating. She said something about 6 hours and I was dumbfounded. By that time I had just gotten tired of the wait and knew it was just going to be an inconvenience, not a show-stopper, so I just stormed off.

6 hours. Wow. Delta is really working hard to make sure I don't choose them for any segment of my travel.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:29 pm

The agent in Hong Kong was really horrible at communicating. She said something about 6 hours and I was dumbfounded. By that time I had just gotten tired of the wait and knew it was just going to be an inconvenience, not a show-stopper, so I just stormed off.

6 hours. Wow. Delta is really working hard to make sure I don't choose them for any segment of my travel.
Theres a thread over on the BA forum about someone missing a BA->AA connection at ORD and the consensus seems to be that ORD is best avoided for connections these days.

Id be dumbfounded too, when told 6hrs- thats where im really liking having Expertflyer (dont recall the details, but have, atleast once, successfully challenged a claim by an agent based on what I saw on expertflyer).

Not trying to defend CX/the agent- do understand the frustration, but I hope that if im in the same situation, and esp if the agent said something about 6 hours, Id be able to just calmly ask her to repeat/explain/get someone to communicate better, rather than storming off- no point spending the long flight in a bad mood!

And till I have CX status, I stick with AA for US domestics

Last edited by jagmeets; Apr 23, 2019 at 7:56 pm
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
CX pax are spoiled with through check on separate tickets (from CX to others). Most airlines have cut down on through checking separate tickets.
I can understand that DL would not be happy as they are the last carrier and therefore responsible in case bags miss the connection. I guess that the 6 hours imposed by DL is their way to minimize the occurence.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jagmeets

Not trying to defend CX/the agent- do understand the frustration, but I hope that if im in the same situation, and esp if the agent said something about 6 hours, Id be able to just calmly ask her to repeat/explain/get someone to communicate better, rather than storming off- no point spending the long flight in a bad mood!
"Storming off" was a feeble attempt at humor.

There were already 2 agents there; I suspect one was a trainee. They did call a supervisor over towards the beginning. She very clearly communicated that they thought this was was less than the allowed MCT and that they'd need to call Delta. She left and the agent called Delta. It took a LONG time.

I calmly tried to explain a do this same flight multiple times per year and that I need to collect the bags in Chicago and personally take them to a recollection point, where the receiving airline can decline to accept them if it below the MCT. I've had that happen before.

It was like taking to a stone.

The six hour MCT thing must be relatively new.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:06 am

The six hour MCT thing must be relatively new.
Not sure about ORD, but for JFK it has been the case for a few years at least. It is also possible that previous CX check-in agents did not check and thought that 3 hours would be enough. Here you can see for JFK the 6-hour MCT applies to BR, too. Based on what DL had done to KE and others in the past, I think it was DL's decision to make the transit as difficult as possible. BR doesn't through-tag bags to separate tickets and does not have SPA (Special Prorate Agreement) with DL AFAIK, so BR doesn't have the incentive to do this.

Code:
T*CT-JFK/CXDL/ID                                               
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.                                 
ONLINE   1.00  1.15  1.45  2.00                                 
OFFLINE  1.00  1.15  1.45  2.00                                 
** OR * ARE ALL                                                 
CX-DL ID  6.00                                                  
**-DL ID SUP   HAV - ALL                                        
**-DL ID  3.30                                                  
CX-** ID  2.00                                                  
T*CT-JFK/BRDL/ID                                               
ONLINE   1.00  1.15  1.45  2.00                                 
OFFLINE  1.00  1.15  1.45  2.00                                 
** OR * ARE ALL                                                 
BR-DL ID  6.00                                                  
**-DL ID SUP   HAV - ALL                                        
**-DL ID  3.30                                                  
BR-** ID  2.30
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:27 am

OP- was it possible for you to check in with DL at T5, or did you have to lug the bags, on the bus, to T2?
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Deleted - post not really necessary

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:24 pm
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Not sure about ORD, but for JFK it has been the case for a few years at least. It is also possible that previous CX check-in agents did not check and thought that 3 hours would be enough.
It might be that they didn't check. I have flown this route 20+ times, and I've never had this problem before. For the flight from ORD to DTW, sometimes I take AA, sometimes DL.

AA is easier for the baggage drop (after clearing customs). DL has a drop, but it's often unmanned. I've been able to drop DL-routed bags at the AA or UA drop, but it's always an uneasy feeling.

I usually don't care much if it's AA or DL. If I fly AA, I can use the Admirals Club or Flagship (because arriving CX J or F). If DL, I can use SkyClub because of Amex benefits.

AA has many flights ORD to DTW, but sometimes the times are not as convenient as DL. But now, if the baggage check is going to be such a hassle then AA will be the winner.

Originally Posted by jagmeets
OP- was it possible for you to check in with DL at T5, or did you have to lug the bags, on the bus, to T2?
OMG, I had to do it all on the bus, and it was awful. I think my last trip through O'Hare was April 2018, and tram was still working. I didn't realize the train/tram wasn't operating. WHAT A MESS. Long lines and overcrowded shuttle buses. As mentioned above, DL does have a desk there for recheck, but it is often unmanned. I didn't know the tram wasn't working, so I didn't bother to check if anyone was at the DL desk. I was guessing that was only for RECHECK. I should've checked.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:48 pm

It might be that they didn't check. I have flown this route 20+ times, and I've never had this problem before. For the flight from ORD to DTW, sometimes I take AA, sometimes DL.

AA is easier for the baggage drop (after clearing customs). DL has a drop, but it's often unmanned. I've been able to drop DL-routed bags at the AA or UA drop, but it's always an uneasy feeling.

I usually don't care much if it's AA or DL. If I fly AA, I can use the Admirals Club or Flagship (because arriving CX J or F). If DL, I can use SkyClub because of Amex benefits.

AA has many flights ORD to DTW, but sometimes the times are not as convenient as DL. But now, if the baggage check is going to be such a hassle then AA will be the winner.
AA will certainly be easier, as the MCT in this case would be just 2 hours. If you have CX GO or DM, I believe you can use the Flagship Lounge irrespective of travel class.

Code:
T*CT-ORD/CXAA/ID                                               
ONLINE    .50  1.15  1.30  1.30                                 
OFFLINE   .50  1.15  1.30  1.30                                 
** OR * ARE ALL                                                 
CX-AA ID  2.00                                                  
**-AA ID SUP   ALL  - FLT 6100 - 9099                           
**-AA ID  1.25 EQP W   - ALL TRM ** - 3                         
**-AA ID  1.20 TRM ** - 3                                       
CX-** ID  2.00

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.