Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta One Seat Malfunction Compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott

I flew DTW to CDG in Delta One. Unfortunately, my seat 7B had a malfunction and would not recline. Basically I paid Delta One prices for a seat with less recline than a premium economy seat. The flight attendant tried to manually set it to the lie flat or recline setting but to no avail. The flight attendant said I should contact Delta for some sort of compensation. He said he could only give 15,000 miles, which are practically worthless for me...especially since Delta One flights are going for 585,000 miles to Europe. My question is what should I ask Delta for compensation...the difference in fare between a Delta One and premium economy fare? Thanks in advance for your input.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
That's really unfortunate. I think that the difference between Delta One and Premium Economy is a fair starting point for negotiation, but Delta may not be willing to oblige. Since you technically flew in the cabin ticketed, they are not under any contractual obligation to compensate you - the seat "amenities" are not guaranteed (even though obviously the #1 reason to buy a D1 seat is to sleep). Let us know how it goes.

Similar thread on FlyerTalk
Similar thread on another forum
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jdmckay
I flew DTW to CDG in Delta One. Unfortunately, my seat 7B had a malfunction and would not recline. Basically I paid Delta One prices for a seat with less recline than a premium economy seat. The flight attendant tried to manually set it to the lie flat or recline setting but to no avail. The flight attendant said I should contact Delta for some sort of compensation. He said he could only give 15,000 miles, which are practically worthless for me...especially since Delta One flights are going for 585,000 miles to Europe. My question is what should I ask Delta for compensation...the difference in fare between a Delta One and premium economy fare? Thanks in advance for your input.
Ask for cash compensation, I think this is a big deal. No idea as to amount, but the difference between D1 and premium economy sounds reasonable for a request. They'll end up giving you whatever they give you.

Something similar happened to me on MU last year. Thankfully the flight attendant was able to manually recline the seat so I could lie flat. I doubt MU would have given me anything if she hadn't been able to do that, but I would have been pissed when I bought an expensive J ticket.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:28 am

I had this happen once but was lucky as they moved a non rev. Since then I board and I check that my seat works. You will get all sorts of opinions on this one but my firm buys d1 so that I can sleep. If I can’t sleep the food etal aren’t really worth a thing to me. So I would expect the fare difference back. Others will disagree
mot29 and hi55us like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:35 am

This happened to me last year on Delta One redeye from LAX to JFK. They could not manually recline it and the flight was totally sold out so I couldn't move anywhere else on the plane.

They refunded the difference between the fare classes, gave me a $250 voucher and a bunch of SkyMiles.

But all I wanted was to sleep and I was more upright than I would have been in a regular coach seat with some recline.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal
That's really unfortunate. I think that the difference between Delta One and Premium Economy is a fair starting point for negotiation, but Delta may not be willing to oblige. Since you technically flew in the cabin ticketed, they are not under any contractual obligation to compensate you - the seat "amenities" are not guaranteed (even though obviously the #1 reason to buy a D1 seat is to sleep). Let us know how it goes.
See the thing is, contrary to many at FlyerTalk, the seat is practically the ONLY reason many people buy D1.

I would be disappointed by Delta...because the only thing that would make me whole is a complete refund, not just the difference.
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by indufan
See the thing is, contrary to many at FlyerTalk, the seat is practically the ONLY reason many people buy D1.

I would be disappointed by Delta...because the only thing that would make me whole is a complete refund, not just the difference.
+1
The only reason I buy a D1 seat is for the seat with its advertised physical capabilities (pitch and flatbed).

Now, stuff breaks and it sucks to be the one getting stuck with that, but if DL does not deliver I would expect to be made whole. Full refund would by my first ask also, you can always come off that. Since I did still get from A to B, I would probably settle for the difference between coach and D1.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you discovered the D1 seat didn't recline before departure you could ask for another D1 seat (ha ha, like they routinely fly empty) or deplane and ask for a refund. Once you fly you have used transportation and a full refund is a stretch, I believe.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by woodenshoe101
I would probably settle for the difference between coach and D1.
You and I would probably have to settle for that.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you discovered the D1 seat didn't recline before departure you could ask for another D1 seat (ha ha, like they routinely fly empty) or deplane and ask for a refund. Once you fly you have used transportation and a full refund is a stretch, I believe.
What if you didn't discover it before departure? If there are free seats, I would fully expect them to move me after departure.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by indufan

I agree 100% with that. To me the food and service are meaningless. My point is that contractually you are still technically in the J cabin - and seat recline is an "amenity" that is not guaranteed. Agree that it is ridiculous since the (only/main) reason to get a D1 seat is the lie-flat.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jdmckay
He said he could only give 15,000 miles, which are practically worthless for me...especially since Delta One flights are going for 585,000 miles to Europe.
....are going (can go for up to) for that, or is that what you paid for one way?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like OP paid cash, but was just putting the 15k miles in the context of being able to use them to book another DL business class flight, perhaps as a "make-up" flight. Of course the 585k is most likely round-trip. Worth noting that I think 15k is likely the most compensation that can be provided on the spot, in the air. OP will clearly need to follow up with DL.

I think this is one of those instances where you push pretty hard for a cash refund of the fare difference (you could push for the difference to coach, but PE is probably more reasonable). And then you file a DOT complaint and take them to Small Claims Court if they don't acquiesce. They may be more willing to provide a voucher, it's up to you to accept, perhaps for a somewhat larger amount than the cash you were seeking.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
ALWAYS test your seat BEFORE the door closes. Board ASAP. Fully recline and put it back up (ideally a few times). If there's an issue, alert FAs right away, so they have the ground techs come in and fix it (insist on it right away, unless they can quickly get it working and it was just a stuck seatbelt or something).

I've seen this quite a few times. Unfortunately it's a common occurrence (not just with DL but with airlines with such electronic seats in general). Once the door has closed, then it's on you if you didn't try your seat before.

Let us know how it goes. Hopefully DL gives you something. Generally DL is rather anti-customer and there's a strong chance you'll just get some canned response back of "thanks for letting us know, we've shared your experience with ____," and that's it. That's how DL usually handles such things, sadly, no matter if it's a DM flying in J cabin on 12 hour flight ("loyalty" and status means absolutely nothing to DL in such cases). So it really is on you to check your seat (and audio headphone jack and the IFE controller and screen also) before the door closes. Otherwise, if the flight is full, not much the crew can do, other than perhaps (if they can - can they?) give you the designated crew rest J seat, if there is such on your aircraft (on 767s there often is, not on A330s where there is a crew sleeping compartment upfront).

BTW, often the DL J seats need a pull or a push while trying to recline it, or pull it back up. Put one hand on the side table and pull (or push) the seat with all your strength along as you are trying to recline it, or put it back upright. I mean if the mechanism powers up and works but it doesn't move/seems to get stuck and reverses, a strong pull or push along, while seated, practically always will get it moving and working (sometimes it's the headrest titled back too far or something that's making it stop and reverse).
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I had it happen once to me on a LHR/DTW flight, the seat motor just quit working after the first meal service. The purser was on break and the FA offered me either a $150 Voucher or 15K skypesos and I took the voucher. She told that was the best they could do and I would have to contact Delta if I wanted more compensation. It was a day flight but I still wanted to sleep for a couple hours. When the purser did the cookie service I asked her if there was anyway she could manually adjust the seat in the full lie back position and she made a non-rev switch seats with me, not sure why the first flight attendant didn't make them switch seats.

I'm surprised there wasn't a non-rev on board she didn't make switch seats with you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.