Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA114 last night 'Boarding First Last' and jump seat passengers...

Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club

I flew on the BA114 (JFK-LHR) last night in CW. Overall a good experience, with a very swept up crew in the CW cabin – for example, we were a little late to push back, but they used the time to take drink orders and also confirm meal requirements. Similarly in the morning, when I woke up to go the toilet at the 40 minute mark, the CC noticed I was up and not only sorted coffee quickly without my asking, but also folded and put my bedding away while I was in the loo – a small but nice touch.

Two points of mild interest. Firstly as we were boarding, I heard a panicked message came up from the ramp saying ‘BOARD FIRST LAST!’ as apparently we were boarding via the front door -unfortunately the gate staff had already sent Group 1 down, but it was good thinking of the CSD to minimise impact on F passengers, and also allow smooth boarding. I did hear some passengers filing down to economy going ‘is BA doing this to taunt us’ as they walked through the F and CW cabin though!

Also one young man (teenager) didn’t have a seat and had to sit in the jump seat for take off and landing and hang around in the galley area. We heard the crew talking about this, and it seemed that he wasn’t a staff member on staff travel – I didn’t think you could overbook these flights as a passenger?

Overall a very impressive experience, and in marked contrast to our outbound on AA where a technically better seat was let down by inedible gnocchi, and a cabin crew that simply didn’t care less about us as passengers, and shouted at me once when I asked if customs forms were going to be handed out (WATCH THE VIDEO SIR) – never flown AA long haul before, and not going to in future. No matter how good the seat may be, I want a human experience too and I thought the AA crew were just surly and rude.

Good job BA!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jimlad48
Also one young man (teenager) didn’t have a seat and had to sit in the jump seat for take off and landing and hang around in the galley area. We heard the crew talking about this, and it seemed that he wasn’t a staff member on staff travel – I didn’t think you could overbook these flights as a passenger?
That would have to be either staff or a staff relation / staff ticketing. Since 9/11, and despite knowing a lot of BA captains, I've only once been able to cadge a standby jump seat, and that was in a set of odd circumstances from just NCL-LHR. Jump seats don't get allocated to general passengers, let alone Transatlantic.

[Actually one exception would be if he or someone in his party was boarded, and it turned out a seat was unusable or dangerous after pushing back from the gate].
jimlad48 and Keystone like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That would have to be either staff or a staff relation / staff ticketing. Since 9/11, and despite knowing a lot of BA captains, I've only once been able to cadge a standby jump seat, and that was in a set of odd circumstances from just NCL-LHR. Jump seats don't get allocated to general passengers, let alone Transatlantic.

[Actually one exception would be if he or someone in his party was boarded, and it turned out a seat was unusable or dangerous after pushing back from the gate].
Thanks CWS - thats really helpful to know - we were sat close to the galley so could hear the crew talking about it, hence our curiosity. A great crew - I made sure I passed thanks onto both the person that looked after us and the CSD for a job well done!

(I've only jumpseated once and that was in an RAF Hercules in Afghanistan under very different circumstances :-) )
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

Originally Posted by jimlad48
Thanks CWS - thats really helpful to know - we were sat close to the galley so could hear the crew talking about it, hence our curiosity. A great crew - I made sure I passed thanks onto both the person that looked after us and the CSD for a job well done!

(I've only jumpseated once and that was in an RAF Hercules in Afghanistan under very different circumstances :-) )
Crew relation is most likely. I know a BA Captain whose daughter is at university abroad. She does the LHR-SIN run quite frequently on her own, whether that be in F or even in the worst case in the jump seat. Usually somewhere in between. From her 13 hours is not fun on a jump seat with no IFE!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
... never flown AA long haul before, and not going to in future.
Off-topic, but that surprised me. Luck of the draw, I guess, but We have never had ‘bad’ crew with AA on either long-haul or Domestic (in J of course!).

... passengers filing down to economy going ‘is BA doing this to taunt us’ as they walked through the F and CW cabin though!
Surely that is one of the naughty pleasures of flying at the front?

I've only jumpseated once and that was in an RAF Hercules in Afghanistan under very different circumstances
Jumpseat, aka Flight Deck! A really nice way to travel, especially when smoking was permitted at Captain’s discretion. PSY-ASI in my case
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
In the days when Muscat had a stopover in Abu Dhabi, the passengers leaving and arriving in Abu Dhabi walked through the F cabin to door 1L. Sat in 1A I heard many comments such as "One Day" and "How the other half live" and "Money cannot buy you happiness", which I liked. As Uncle T says: makes flying First a pleasure having the Y passengers drool.
jimlad48, T8191 and Cotumely like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HarryHolden68 ... our only F, UVF-LGW, had the pleasure of a separate set of steps to Door 1L and the F cabin, leaving everyone else going to 2L. I resisted the temptation to stop at the top and wave, Presidentially, to the other pax walking to their steps.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Off-topic, but that surprised me. Luck of the draw, I guess, but We have never had ‘bad’ crew with AA on either long-haul or Domestic (in J of course!).
In my experience of flying AA transatlantic (LHR-JFK-LHR), I have never enjoyed a half decent crew. My experience is similar to the OP, where AA transatlantic cabin crew gave me the distinct impression they really couldn't give a stuff about passengers. It was almost that passengers were an annoyance that cabin crew needed to tolerate whilst the flight took the cabin crew back to the US. I have also heard crew raise their voices when passengers dare to ask them a question. Clearly there are going to be some good AA cabin crew on transatlantic routes, but so far I haven't come across any...

Transcon on the other hand is a completely different kettle of fish. Every segment I have been on (JFK-LAX-JFK) has been a joy. The cabin crew demonstrate they love their jobs and are proud to serve paying passengers. I've never understood why there is such a vast difference in attitude. I assume it's something to do with pay and rations, but I might be wrong.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by billinghamn
I've never understood why there is such a vast difference in attitude. I assume it's something to do with pay and rations, but I might be wrong.
Seniority and tenure is the main aspect to this, given where crews are based and the routes open to them. Plus the generally weak position relating to pensions in the USA / other employment options. While I can't point to a positively bad crew experience on AA transatlantic, I can certainly relate to AA crews being in a very different ball game to BA (MF and WW) as far as customer focus is concerned. At least BA provides (some) training to legacy staff in this space.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
In my little experience, the chances to have an "uncaring" crew on AA are far more higher than on BA. That said, I only had a couple of "bad ones" on AA... but I still prefer to choose AA J instead of BA on TATL flights. I am really looking forward to the new BA seating, though.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmmm ... interesting AA diversion!

Our l/h AA experiences have mainly been ex-DUB, to PHL or CLT. We’ve had wonderful FAs. A lady FA shaking everyone’s hands on departure, another with hugs and kiss on cheek, and an incredibly engaging and witty male. Domestic F ... still OK, and a couple VERY good.

Perhaps we interact more effectively, as Leisure Elders? Do we have an aura?
Pandra likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by billinghamn
In my experience of flying AA transatlantic (LHR-JFK-LHR), I have never enjoyed a half decent crew. My experience is similar to the OP, where AA transatlantic cabin crew gave me the distinct impression they really couldn't give a stuff about passengers. It was almost that passengers were an annoyance that cabin crew needed to tolerate whilst the flight took the cabin crew back to the US. I have also heard crew raise their voices when passengers dare to ask them a question. Clearly there are going to be some good AA cabin crew on transatlantic routes, but so far I haven't come across any...

Transcon on the other hand is a completely different kettle of fish. Every segment I have been on (JFK-LAX-JFK) has been a joy. The cabin crew demonstrate they love their jobs and are proud to serve paying passengers. I've never understood why there is such a vast difference in attitude. I assume it's something to do with pay and rations, but I might be wrong.
I'd definitely agree with that judgement - my transcon UA and AA flights are always great - but I've also had bad experiences on United on TATL routes too. I think the crew attitude is utterly different.
I think the reason I like BA is the crew - its the people who make the flight - if I fly these days I'm usually treating myself going to/from a nice holiday, and a great crew who pull out all the stops to make you feel human are a great way to start the holiday or finish it off. So, I'll happily put up with the CW seat for now as long as the crew remain awesome. :-)
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
hmmm ... interesting AA diversion!

Our l/h AA experiences have mainly been ex-DUB, to PHL or CLT. We’ve had wonderful FAs. A lady FA shaking everyone’s hands on departure, another with hugs and kiss on cheek, and an incredibly engaging and witty male. Domestic F ... still OK, and a couple VERY good.

Perhaps we interact more effectively, as Leisure Elders? Do we have an aura?
Regarding ex Dub - for leisure travel, choose this whenever we can.
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:52 pm

Actually there is no prohibition on commercials on a jump seat but BA will not allow commercial standby. A captain does have the authority to put a commercial passenger on a jump seat but there are very many reasons why this is very rarely done. Obviously this does not refer to flight deck jump seats which are covered by very specific rules.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
I once sat in a jump seat in a BA cockpit for landing at Heathrow, ‘‘twas very exciting at the time. I was a 6 year old girl and the year was 1976. I’d been taken to the cockpit and was ‘forgotten’ about!
Dicksbits and golfmad like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.