Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Marks Earthday2019 Via New Partnership With Ocean Clean-up Organization 4ocean

AC Marks Earthday2019 Via New Partnership With Ocean Clean-up Organization 4ocean

Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...878515692.html

MONTREAL, April 22, 2019 /CNW/ - To mark Earth Day 2019, Air Canada announced a partnership with environmental organization 4ocean, a company dedicated to actively removing waste plastics and trash from the ocean and coastlines while inspiring individuals to work together for cleaner oceans. As the exclusive Canadian airline to sponsor 4ocean, this partnership marks an important milestone in Air Canada's plastic reduction strategy and creates opportunities for Air Canada employees to participate in coastal North America clean-ups in 2019.

"A key target of Air Canada's corporate waste strategy is our Single-Use Plastics Reduction program. Our partnership with 4ocean as the exclusive Canadian airline is a great fit with this journey and we are especially delighted with the opportunity to engage our employees in our communities. There are many Air Canada employees who care deeply about sustainability and the environment who are keen to make a difference in actively help reduce ocean plastic pollution," said Teresa Ehman, Senior Director of Environmental Affairs at Air Canada.

"We are ecstatic to partner with Air Canada in an initiative to eliminate single use plastic. We believe Air Canada's Sustainability program is a giant leap forward in this initiative. 4ocean is looking forward to removing thousands of pounds of plastic and waste with Air Canada." said Tony Chvala, Chief Operating Officer at 4ocean.

To date, 4ocean has removed more than four million pounds of trash from the ocean and coastlines. Drawing from their years of experience, 4ocean will also participate with the Air Canada team to develop educational resources on ocean conservation for employees to draw from and further enhance the company as an environmental steward.

Reducing single-use plastics builds on Air Canada's other environmental and community efforts

Air Canada's ongoing plastic reduction efforts include researching and rethinking important decisions made at various stages of the supply chain. In 2018, a review and assessment of all plastics used onboard was conducted, and the company identified options to eliminate, replace, reduce or recycle is single-use plastics. The 35 million plastic stir sticks used on aircraft and in lounges will be the first single-use plastic to be eliminated at the beginning of Summer 2019.

Starting in Fall 2019, Air Canada will additionally be removing the outer plastic bag from approximately 1.8 million Business Class and Premium Economy Class amenity kits, bringing its total single use plastic items removed from onboard to 36.8 million. The company is supporting this work in partnership with University of Toronto graduate students in their final year of their Master of Science in Sustainability Management program. The students are working with Air Canada to identify alternatives to plastic use onboard our aircraft.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
1. What will replace the plastic stir sticks, if anything?
2. Will there be some other indicator on the amenity kit that it has not been opened?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC to Reduce Single-Use Plastics Starting with Eliminating Plastic Stir Sticks

Starting in Summer 2019, Air Canada will replace plastic with wood stir sticks in drinks served on all flights
TechnoTourist and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: TK *G
2. Will there be some other indicator on the amenity kit that it has not been opened?
For 2, some airlines uses a plastic zip tie to seal the kit. It’s still plastic but it’s much less plastic.

Or they can distribute the kit once everyone is seated.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by tcook052
Air Canada will replace plastic with wood stir sticks in drinks served on all flights
I've gotten a few of the wooden sticks on UA flights launched a similar initiative, they must be working through old stock though as I still get some plastic sticks
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by songsc

For 2, some airlines uses a plastic zip tie to seal the kit. It’s still plastic but it’s much less plastic.

The new amenity kits even have plastic on the trimmings to keep it from smudging or whatever. This isn't a refrigerator.

I wonder if there's something better than a plastic zip tie. I guess it needs to be sturdy enough to not accidentally open, but weak enough that I don't need scissors. I'm not sure distributing after being seated would work too well, as it just complicates the boarding process.

Originally Posted by CleverJesse
I've gotten a few of the wooden sticks on UA flights launched a similar initiative, they must be working through old stock though as I still get some plastic sticks
I'm sure it will take quite a while to get through it all.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
I commend Air Canada for taking steps to remove plastics from the oceans. It seems a big commitment to make, considering they can't seem to stem the flow of their own branded plastics onto the aprons, roads and infields (at YVR at least).
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
The amenity kits are also made of plastic. Maybe they should upgrade to real leather!

I have noticed that between the amenity kit cover, duvet cover, mattress pad cover there's a significant amount of plastic packaging to go in the trash.
canadiancow and jasdou like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
The amenity kits are also made of plastic. Maybe they should upgrade to real leather!

I have noticed that between the amenity kit cover, duvet cover, mattress pad cover there's a significant amount of plastic packaging to go in the trash.
To keep those things clean though, there needs to be some kind of protective layer. Maybe it could be something reusable, but then you're basically wrapping a blanket in a blanket
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Good on Air Canada as those two young lads sure make a great business out of doing something good.

Good Job Air Canada
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:39 pm
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by songsc

The new amenity kits even have plastic on the trimmings to keep it from smudging or whatever. This isn't a refrigerator.

I wonder if there's something better than a plastic zip tie. I guess it needs to be sturdy enough to not accidentally open, but weak enough that I don't need scissors. I'm not sure distributing after being seated would work too well, as it just complicates the boarding process.

I'm sure it will take quite a while to get through it all.
To keep those things clean though, there needs to be some kind of protective layer. Maybe it could be something reusable, but then you're basically wrapping a blanket in a blanket
Data point: With the previous version of amenity kits (2014-2018) that came in the resealable ziploc style bags and the red tape that "indicated" it was unopened, I have been provided with "used" kits several times. I only found out once I opened them and found used tissue, used earplugs, used socks, gum wrappings, etc. inside. They looked "unopened" as the red tape was over the resealable part.

With the current Signature Service kits, the plastic wrap is perforated, so you can tell right away if it has already been opened.

Having said that, I am not against this initiative.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Have you considered repurposing/reusing? I like the Blanket and duvet plastic bags because of their size: I use them for laundry. Other bags are used for odds and ends on my trip, including storage of some leaky items, replacing my need for extra baggies. There is a need for those plastic covers and the primary reason is hygiene. The bedding could become dirty or contaminated otherwise and would be difficult to differentiate between clean and used.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Data point: With the previous version of amenity kits (2014-2018) that came in the resealable ziploc style bags and the red tape that "indicated" it was unopened, I have been provided with "used" kits several times. I only found out once I opened them and found used tissue, used earplugs, used socks, gum wrappings, etc. inside. They looked "unopened" as the red tape was over the resealable part.
With the current Signature Service kits, the plastic wrap is perforated, so you can tell right away if it has already been opened.
Having said that, I am not against this initiative.

I received two of those old style bags and gave them to the support staff when I returned. Both recipients were upset with me thinking it was a bad joke as the bags had been used. I had a used toothbrush tossed at me.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Have you considered repurposing/reusing? I like the Blanket and duvet plastic bags because of their size: I use them for laundry. Other bags are used for odds and ends on my trip, including storage of some leaky items, replacing my need for extra baggies. There is a need for those plastic covers and the primary reason is hygiene. The bedding could become dirty or contaminated otherwise and would be difficult to differentiate between clean and used.
I agree that these items need to be hygienic and the plastic bags keep them nice and fresh for each PAX. I don't have a solution, I'm just recognizing the problem. I do re-purpose the bags to be my personal garbage container throughout the flight, but I haven't gone further than that. Kudos to you for making good use of them!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:39 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.