Wiki Posts
Search

Best program to collect TK miles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL,EK
Best program to collect TK miles?

I mostly fly SkyTeam or OneWorld, but found a good fare (U/W) on TK but it does not earn miles with my UA account (which has basically no miles in it anyway).

Is there a better Star Alliance program that UA to sign up for for this TK ticket?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I mostly fly SkyTeam or OneWorld, but found a good fare (U/W) on TK but it does not earn miles with my UA account (which has basically no miles in it anyway).

Is there a better Star Alliance program that UA to sign up for for this TK ticket?
For U and W fare classes, your only chance is to credit to Miles&Smiles. According to wheretocredit.com 'U' and 'W' boarding passes only gives miles to Miles&Smiles
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that site - I'd never heard of it.

I guess I could sign up for a Miles&Smiles - better than doing nothing I suppose.
rozy and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
FWIW TK miles have a hard expiry. So unless you put some effort into it, they won't be worth anything to you anyhow.

For me the question wouldn't be "what miles should I collect for a certain fare class" but instead... "am I willing to pay more for a higher fare class that gives me more miles in my preferred programme."
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

This was a rare occasion when I have purchased solely on price rather than program so the miles don't matter much as the fare was so good. Are there any Star Alliance programs where miles don't expire? Almost all my flying is on DL or weird airlines that are not in any program (Air Koryo for example).
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
This was a rare occasion when I have purchased solely on price rather than program so the miles don't matter much as the fare was so good. Are there any Star Alliance programs where miles don't expire? Almost all my flying is on DL or weird airlines that are not in any program (Air Koryo for example).
Look here for expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
FFP's that have no expiry are few. Many can be extended if have an eligible activity. Others have a hard expiry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.