Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lounge access for 3 adults in one room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

I've always thought that if I reserve a concierge level, M-Club access room for 3 adults, then all 3 adults will have lounge access. Is that not the case? Is lounge access limited to 2 adults/room or is it hotel specific?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:34 pm

I just stayed at the Renaissance in Zurich, booked for 3 adults, and had access for 3 people to the lounge (as well as restaurant breakfast for 3 on the Sunday when the lounge was closed)
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I've always thought that if I reserve a concierge level, M-Club access room for 3 adults, then all 3 adults will have lounge access. Is that not the case? Is lounge access limited to 2 adults/room or is it hotel specific?
If you stay in a "Concierge Level" room or "Club Level" room (or something along those lines) and you have three adults officially registered to the room, everyone in the room would legitimately have lounge access. The room description on Marriott.com will indicate that lounge access is a feature of the room. It has nothing to do with Elite status.

However, many of us on this forum get lounge access at most full-service properties because of our Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite (or higher) status, regardless of room category. In that case, the published benefit is for the Elite member plus one guest. In such cases, the hotel can charge for a third adult or deny access to a third adult.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Horace
If you stay in a "Concierge Level" room or "Club Level" room (or something along those lines) and you have three adults officially registered to the room, everyone in the room would legitimately have lounge access. The room description on Marriott.com will indicate that lounge access is a feature of the room. It has nothing to do with Elite status.

However, many of us on this forum get lounge access at most full-service properties because of our Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite (or higher) status, regardless of room category. In that case, the published benefit is for the Elite member plus one guest. In such cases, the hotel can charge for a third adult or deny access to a third adult.
Thanks. I'm aware of the Elite+1 rule. I've had a few hotels tell me recently that lounge access would only be granted to 2 adults in the room even if a Concierge Level or M-Club Access room were booked so I wanted to double check.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks. I'm aware of the Elite+1 rule. I've had a few hotels tell me recently that lounge access would only be granted to 2 adults in the room even if a Concierge Level or M-Club Access room were booked so I wanted to double check.
It sounds like you need to read the rules for the rate or the room description.

It could also matter whether then room is designed to hold three adults versus if you have arranged for a rollaway bed for the third person.
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
You might have encountered hotel employees who are confused. My guess is that at most full-service hotels with club/concierge/executive lounges, the majority of guests using the lounge have access based on Elite status, not based on having paid for a room on a club/concierge/executive floor. Also, most guests who have paid for such a room are probably business travelers with generous expense accounts. Three adults with "authorized" access to a lounge (based on room type) would be a rarity.

Special floors are becoming more rare.

When I've stayed at hotels with an M Club Lounge, there has not been an M Club Floor or other club floor. There were two ways to get M Club Lounge access: (1) sufficiently high Elite status, in which case access was for member + 1, or (2) pay for an M Club Lounge access pass, available to any guest staying in any room, for a set amount such as $40 per day for up to two guests.
iluvdoco and ryw like this.

Last edited by Horace; Apr 19, 2019 at 9:49 am
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Horace
You might have encountered hotel employees who are confused. My guess is that at most full-service hotels with club/concierge/executive lounges, the majority of guests using the lounge have access based on Elite status, not based on having paid for a room on a club/concierge/executive floor. Also, most guests who have paid for such a room are probably business travelers with generous expense accounts. Three adults with "authorized" access to a lounge (based on room type) would be a rarity.

Special floors are becoming more rare.

When I've stayed at hotels with an M Club Lounge, there has not been an M Club Floor or other club floor. There were two ways to get M Club Lounge access: (1) sufficiently high Elite status, in which case access was for member + 1, or (2) pay for an M Club Lounge access pass, available to any guest staying in any room, for a set amount such as $40 per day for up to two guests.
I believe you are correct Horace, and thank you for your insight. As MSPeconomist suggested, I double checked the M-Club access room description and there is no limiting language that restricts lounge access to 2 guests. As you said, I think the associate was mistaken in this instance.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Apr 19, 2019 at 11:07 am Reason: grammar
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:24 am

I believe you are correct Horace, and thank you for your insight. As MSPeconomist suggested, I double checked the M-Club access room description and there is no limiting language that restricts lounge access to 2 guests. As you said, I think the associate was mistaken in this instance.
Bearing in mind that you will typically also need to pay for a third, registered adult in a room.
HollyGlen and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Followup; the lounge attendants confirmed that I had access for 3 adults. Much ado about nothing then. Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

I was browsing the Marriott Marquis DC website today, and it lists 3 ways to access the M-Club; via meeting planner, Platinum or higher elite status, or through an upgraded room reservation (2 adults per hotel key).

This is the first explicit mention I've seen anywhere of a limitation per hotel key. I assume that if I reserve an M-Club lounge access room for 3 adults and am issued 2 hotel keys, then all 3 adults (and up to 4 adults) will have lounge access.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

Rules are not uniform, but for club or rooms, I've always seen it say on the terms how many people are allowed in.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Re: my example hotel, the Marriott Marquis DC, it's a confusing situation because the description of the M-Club Room grants lounge access for all occupants. Seems like some properties may be trying to force a 2nd room reservation when booking for 3 or 4 adults.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:29 pm

My guess is you'll be fine 95% of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.