Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Flight operated by VS Purchased Upgrade no MQMs

Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors, SW RR, Enterprise Plus, Marriott,

I believe I saw this issue before. I purchased a Comfort+ G ticket from IAD to LHR. I upgraded to Delta One with miles on one leg of the trip. This changed the flight number to a VS flight number. No MQMs, MQSs or MQDs were awarded. I sent a ticket explaining what occured with evidence of the original ticket purchase through Delta. Delta responded today indicating flights booked with partner airlines do not earn miles and gave a link to the info on partner airlines on the Delta site.

I am not sure how to escalate this issue or refute this response? Anyone have any success in this type of matter?

Last edited by 3Cforme; Mar 25, 2019 at 4:30 pm Reason: carrier code corrected
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:44 pm

Hi, I wanted to ask a few questions to clarify the situation. You mention you purchased Comfort+ in G fare class. Virgin Atlantic (which is coded "VS", not VA, slightly misleading) doesn't have a G fare class, so I'm guessing you bought the ticket DL flight number marketed? Did you buy the ticket through Delta or Virgin originally? You mention an upgrade to Delta One, which implies a Delta Operated flight, if so why the flight number would switch to VS marketed is a bit confusing. Was the flight operated by Delta or VS? Did a Delta Agent or a Virgin Atlantic agent process the upgrade for you? Did you use Delta SkyMiles for the upgrade or Virgin Atlantic miles?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

All great questions - sorry about the confusion with VS not VA. I purchased the flight and the upgrade all through DL. It was a DL customer service rep that processed the miles upgrade, which were Delta miles. My original receipt has a DL flight number but after the upgrade processed it was switched to a VS flight number. I am not sure why the flight number changed, but I had read on a previous post that this might happen and to watch for the miles to post and if they didn't post to send the missing miles request outlining what happened, which I did (including the original receipt showing the DL flight numbers). That request was denied.

I hope that helps. Thanks for checking on the critical points.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

G is a Premium Economy fare class (not Comfort+) on DL, so I'm assuming OP was booked in Premium Economy on a code-shared VS flight. When OP upgraded, the flight got re-coded as a VS flight, but kept original DL G booking class. VS G fares are an award fare class and hence the system would reject it for mileage earning.
pharmawalk likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jewel21
I believe I saw this issue before. I purchased a Comfort+ G ticket from IAD to LHR. I upgraded to Delta One with miles on one leg of the trip. This changed the flight number to a VA flight number.
<snip>
VA = Virgin Australia
VS = Virgin Atlantic
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you -- that makes logical sense and coincides to the link they forwarded me to. As I both purchased through Delta and used Delta miles for the upgrade, how do I challenge this?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
G is a Premium Economy fare class (not Comfort+) on DL, so I'm assuming OP was booked in Premium Economy on a code-shared VS flight. When OP upgraded, the flight got re-coded as a VS flight, but kept original DL G booking class. VS G fares are an award fare class and hence the system would reject it for mileage earning.
It doesn't keep original DL G class. If it had OP would've gotten credit.

For VS coded flights G is the equal to O on DL code. (Award business class) When upgrading a codeshare the flight number always gets switched to the operating carrier flight number. Awards (including upgrades on partners) are always done this way, under operating carrier flight number. (There's a couple of oddball one-offs) Now booked as VS flight number in G, DL system sees it as an award and doesn't grant credit. Just like why DL codeshares on KLM metal end up getting bonus credit as it gets booked into Z on KL code.

OP, need to call in and male it clear this was an upgrade to a paid ticket. You should get credit for the original booked flight.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Thank you - I did call and could not get the agent to understand that it was booked through Delta. I will try calling back and speaking with someone else.

Appreciate all the help and the clarity everyone provided!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
OP, if you do some searching you will find multiple threads about this problem. You might find more information about how to resolve it. I can confirm that this is a frequent problem with these upgrades from PE to UC on VS flights.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
OP, if you do some searching you will find multiple threads about this problem. You might find more information about how to resolve it. I can confirm that this is a frequent problem with these upgrades from PE to UC on VS flights.
Thanks - I was aware originally of the issue which is why I kept an eye out and submitted the request with the evidence. I didn't see anything on how to an appeal a denial, but I will look again. Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Jewel21
Thanks - I was aware originally of the issue which is why I kept an eye out and submitted the request with the evidence. I didn't see anything on how to an appeal a denial, but I will look again. Thanks
When I ran into this problem a couple of years ago I found that an email, in which I briefly explained the problem and emphasized my original booking class, was more effective than my phone call. YMMV.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM

When I ran into this problem a couple of years ago I found that an email, in which I briefly explained the problem and emphasized my original booking class, was more effective than my phone call. YMMV.
Thank you - I did send an email first and the request was denied (despite my including a copy of the original receipt showing the purchase was a DL flight). The call was a follow up. I may send another email if no response by tomorrow.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It doesn't keep original DL G class. If it had OP would've gotten credit.

For VS coded flights G is the equal to O on DL code. (Award business class) When upgrading a codeshare the flight number always gets switched to the operating carrier flight number. Awards (including upgrades on partners) are always done this way, under operating carrier flight number. (There's a couple of oddball one-offs) Now booked as VS flight number in G, DL system sees it as an award and doesn't grant credit. Just like why DL codeshares on KLM metal end up getting bonus credit as it gets booked into Z on KL code.

OP, need to call in and male it clear this was an upgrade to a paid ticket. You should get credit for the original booked flight.
As I stated, it was re-coded as a VS flight, and thus was no longer DL-coded. My meaning is that the G fare class likely came from the original DL coded booking.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 26, 2019 at 8:53 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I had the same problem last year - purchased a DL G fare, upgraded with miles, ticket was reissued as a VS G which doesn't accrue miles. Took me one email and three phone calls before I finally got a DL rep who understood and got the miles credited correctly.
langbr01 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ShopAround
I had the same problem last year - purchased a DL G fare, upgraded with miles, ticket was reissued as a VS G which doesn't accrue miles. Took me one email and three phone calls before I finally got a DL rep who understood and got the miles credited correctly.
Good to hear - so I will just keep at it! thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.