Hail damage at DFW? (24-25 Mar 2019)

Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Hail damage at DFW? (24-25 Mar 2019)

I don't see any other information online, but I am trying to get employees out of DFW today. Several DFW-ATL flights have been cancelled. Reason given was 100 planes were damaged by hail at DFW last night. Anyone with any insight?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
I don't see any other information online, but I am trying to get employees out of DFW today. Several DFW-ATL flights have been cancelled. Reason given was 100 planes were damaged by hail at DFW last night. Anyone with any insight?
Nothing more than a blurb on Twitter saying 50+ planes damaged at DFW yesterday. Hail pictures/video from the DFW area yesterday were pretty amazing. On top of the MAX issues and the 738 issues, it's piling on for AA.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Definately some huge hailstorms around the Dallas area yestrday per this

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/weat...-roll-dfw-area

(apologies cannot give a summary as the page itself is blocked for us in Europe due to data privacy regulations)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
I can believe there was a lot of damage. I live north of DFW and driving home early last night, I just missed the hail storm, but the aftermath looked like one of those distopic movies with cars strewn everywhere on a highway. There were damaged cars everywhere for a few miles stretch all with completely destroyed windshields, back windows, external mirrors, roofs, etc. The road was like driving on a gravel road there was so much hail that had come down.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I can believe there was a lot of damage. I live north of DFW and driving home early last night, I just missed the hail storm, but the aftermath looked like one of those distopic movies with cars strewn everywhere on a highway. There were damaged cars everywhere for a few miles stretch all with completely destroyed windshields, back windows, external mirrors, roofs, etc. The road was like driving on a gravel road there was so much hail that had come down.
Thankfully we dodged it in far north Fort Worth. Some small hail, no damage.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Taxiing right now around dfw. No damage anywhere I can see.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You know, I read your post on a plane back from ATL to DFW today. It then dawned on me about two seconds after VR at ATL that my brand new car, not even 48 hours old, is sitting on the top level at A parking. The next 1 hour and 50 minutes were pure torture thinking that my new car is totaled. I signed up for wifi so I could text my state farm agent saying I'm probably going to have bad news in a few hours. Then I returned a text from the rep who sold me the car asking how is the car going and I told her I hope not to have a heart attack shortly.

I make my way up the elevator to level 5, asthma inhaler in one hand only to see an untouched car.

No hail at DFW thank god.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by enviroian
You know, I read your post on a plane back from ATL to DFW today. It then dawned on me about two seconds after VR at ATL that my brand new car, not even 48 hours old, is sitting on the top level at A parking. The next 1 hour and 50 minutes were pure torture thinking that my new car is totaled. I signed up for wifi so I could text my state farm agent saying I'm probably going to have bad news in a few hours. Then I returned a text from the rep who sold me the car asking how is the car going and I told her I hope not to have a heart attack shortly.

I make my way up the elevator to level 5, asthma inhaler in one hand only to see an untouched car.

I would've emptied the liquor cart. Glad to hear that the vehicle emerged unscathed!
enviroian and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold
No damage to me in Frisco but I know Allen got rocked by hail. Im about 17 miles from the north tollgate at DFW.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m in Frisco too. Yes I heard Allen got hit.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.7MM
Delayed flights / missing logbooks attributed to hail...
I was on AA 1146 7:15am DFW-DTW. Around 7:00, as most folks are boarded, the Captain came on PA and said they were just waiting for maintenance to bring some paperwork and we would be off. After 2 15min rolling delays to 7:45, he came back on and said they were trying to track down the maintenance logbook and also volunteered that several other planes had the same issue (missing logbooks) and said id could have been related to previous night’s storm/hail. Continued rolling delays until finally got the logs and pushed back almost 2:15 behind schedule..

We never found out what was going on… Did some mechanic collect all the logbooks and forget to turn them in? Did they collect them for a bunch of planes they suspected of having damage until they could be inspected. If so, you think they could just explain that and there would be a better schedule for the roving inspection crew.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by pcbrew
Delayed flights / missing logbooks attributed to hail...
I was on AA 1146 7:15am DFW-DTW. Around 7:00, as most folks are boarded, the Captain came on PA and said they were just waiting for maintenance to bring some paperwork and we would be off. After 2 15min rolling delays to 7:45, he came back on and said they were trying to track down the maintenance logbook and also volunteered that several other planes had the same issue (missing logbooks) and said id could have been related to previous nights storm/hail. Continued rolling delays until finally got the logs and pushed back almost 2:15 behind schedule..

We never found out what was going on Did some mechanic collect all the logbooks and forget to turn them in? Did they collect them for a bunch of planes they suspected of having damage until they could be inspected. If so, you think they could just explain that and there would be a better schedule for the roving inspection crew.
same problem at DFW but on Saturday :/
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Great job AA, retiring all of those perfectly fine Super 80's while you have a 737 crisis...
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BOSishome
No damage to me in Frisco but I know Allen got rocked by hail. I’m about 17 miles from the north tollgate at DFW.
I'm in Frisco as well! Got just a bit here, but it really hit hard 2 miles north of me.

It happened Sunday evening/night. I flew out and back from DFW Monday (yesterday) morning. No issues and everything basically on time.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian

Was there really no parking in the A garage, other than on the roof? I've never encountered this (with the new garage anyway). When did you fly out?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.