Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Walked Despite OLCI - Courtyard Arlington/Entertainment Dist.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1M miler, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist.

I was scheduled to stay here the other night and did OLCI 24 hours in advance, noting a midnight arrival. I'm LT Gold on Bonvoy if that counts for anything. I showed up at the appointed time and was greeted at the door by the front desk receptionist. I was advised that I was going to be walked to the Four Points. In over 25 years of business travel I have been walked once, so I always know this is a possibility. I normally call in advance if I know I'm going to be late.

Now with OLCI available, I avail myself of that option when I know I am arriving late at a busy hotel. It normally works like a charm. They have the key ready and it's super simple. I don't like OLCI if I arrive at a normal time, because I feel the human factor allows greater latitude for a better room at check-in (I could be wrong), especially when I had higher status than I currently possess.

In this case, OLCI did nothing to save my spot. I got no call or text notifying me of my unfortunate fate. The FD receptionist tried to pass the buck onto the prior shift which further incensed me (it may have not been her fault but her lack of empathy set me off). I then had to wait for her to fill out the walk form, photocopy it, and then call the Four Points. Three other guests were walked that night prior to my arrival. She also said I wouldn't have to pay for the room, but because I was traveling on business I could not care less about this concession. When I got to the Four Points I immediately fired off an email to Bonvoy and received a response 24 hours later. Incidentally the Four Points was pretty good for a Four Points! I chose the Courtyard in the first place because it is adjacent to the venue of my presentation the next day. Alas, the Four Points is 2 miles away. I had trouble getting and Uber and walked back to the venue the next morning.

In their response Bonvoy said "I have forwarded your comments regarding reservation experience to Hotel Management to assist us in resolving this situation for you. Please allow us up to five days for your concerns to be addressed and an appropriate response to be provided to you." FIVE DAYS? Shouldn't there be a standard remedy for this? Walked + OLCI oversight + LT Gold = x?

Have others experienced this and if so, what should I be willing to accept? Thanks.

Last edited by kokimoto; Mar 24, 2019 at 9:42 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Unfortunately as a Gold you are entitled to only $100 compensation at Courtyards. At full service properties you would have gotten a lot more ($200 + 90,000 points). If you were Platinum or Titanium (and presumably Ambassador) you would get 90,000 points at the Courtyard as well, but unfortunately Golds don't get anything extra.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi

Online check-in doesn't really check you in, so whether you did that or not is not relevant.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for providing that link. It's helpful to know what the baseline is.

If "online check in" is not really checking in, then it should be called something else.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by kokimoto

If "online check in" is not really checking in, then it should be called something else.
Agreed, it is a misleading term. In fairness I believe some properties that have keyless entry (i.e., NFC readers where you can use your phone as your key) may actually allow you to fully check-in, but I believe that is the rare exception and not the rule. The reality is that most properties - even those technically able to do the full check-in process - want to verify your identity and confirm you are present at the property.

It should probably be better called "pre-check-in" or something, but people probably wouldn't be as apt to use it.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by ethernal
Unfortunately as a Gold you are entitled to only $100 compensation at Courtyards. At full service properties you would have gotten a lot more ($200 + 90,000 points). If you were Platinum or Titanium (and presumably Ambassador) you would get 90,000 points at the Courtyard as well, but unfortunately Golds don't get anything extra.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi

Online check-in doesn't really check you in, so whether you did that or not is not relevant.

It depends on the property, but online check-in is, in fact, checking in at some properties.

Agreed, it is a misleading term. In fairness I believe some properties that have keyless entry (i.e., NFC readers where you can use your phone as your key) may actually allow you to fully check-in, but I believe that is the rare exception and not the rule. The reality is that most properties - even those technically able to do the full check-in process - want to verify your identity and confirm you are present at the property.

It should probably be better called "pre-check-in" or something, but people probably wouldn't be as apt to use it.
As far as I know, all new-build and most renovated properties have keyless entry, even Courtyard and Autograph Collection properties.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
As far as I know, all new-build and most renovated properties have keyless entry, even Courtyard and Autograph Collection properties.
That’s certainly not true internationally, but could possibly be for the US?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

That’s certainly not true internationally, but could possibly be for the US?
Some countries require hotels to record passports of guests so this might be why.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
... Alas, the Four Points is 2 miles away. I had trouble getting and Uber and walked back to the venue the next morning....
When being walked, the hotel should provide transportation to and from the other hotel.
Is there any reason they did not do so?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Bonvoy said "I have forwarded your comments regarding reservation experience to Hotel Management to assist us in resolving this situation for you. Please allow us up to five days for your concerns to be addressed and an appropriate response to be provided to you." FIVE DAYS?
No consolation I know, but British Airways Exec Club just took ten weeks (and four discrete pleadings from me) to resolve a simple Avios points award problem. A five-day response from any travel / hospitality provider would thrill me.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BearX220
No consolation I know, but British Airways Exec Club just took ten weeks (and four discrete pleadings from me) to resolve a simple Avios points award problem. A five-day response from any travel / hospitality provider would thrill me.
Please don't give Bonvoy/Starriott any ideas.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The hotel should have pro-actively reached out to the OP to let him know so that he could go to the 4Pts directly. Since they didn't do that & knew they were walking him, they should have already had the walk reservation made, the paperwork filled out to give him on arrival, paid for the transport to the 4P, paid for the room (while he doesn't care; his employer would), & provided the $$. Because of the way it was handled, if I were him, I'd still expect the $ & I would also ask for some extra compensation points.

Cheers.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
My impression is that it queues up a request for the front desk to go through the actual check-in process, and if the hotel is oversold I could possibly see the earlier clerks avoiding processing the online check-ins so they don't have to walk people showing up during their shift, leaving all the walks to the night shift. It's a terrible idea, especially in not prioritizing the elites that cost them actual cash in addition to the room cost.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The hotel should have pro-actively reached out to the OP to let him know so that he could go to the 4Pts directly. Since they didn't do that & knew they were walking him, they should have already had the walk reservation made, the paperwork filled out to give him on arrival, paid for the transport to the 4P, paid for the room (while he doesn't care; his employer would), & provided the $$. Because of the way it was handled, if I were him, I'd still expect the $ & I would also ask for some extra compensation points.

Cheers.
But that would have incurred costs for the Courtyard. I'm sure they were hoping for a no-show (even though the OP has OLCI). At that point, I'm sure they would have been quick to charge a no-show fee as well and wouldn't have taken 5 days for it to happen
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I showed up at the appointed time and was greeted at the door by the front desk receptionist. I was advised that I was going to be walked to the Four Points.
Was the hotel locked, or did they let you in to claim reimbursement?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Not exactly sure why she greeted me at the front door. There were many guests drinking in the bar, so perhaps she didn't want me to freak out in front of them. I did end up going in with her (she had to process my paperwork) and ranting a bit anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.