Wiki Posts
Search

Westin - Marriot or SPG?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
Westin - Marriot or SPG?

Sorry completely new to this chain and in a bit of a rush so just going to jump in and ask some stupid questions.

I am staying at a Westin and I didn’t realise but they are part of the Marriot group.

The people at at the desk asked if I am a Marriot or SPG member.

Is there a difference between the two? Who should I join?

i also did read that some loyalty companies give you auto gold status? Which are these?

i am BA Gold, EK gold, have an Amex Gold and am a Hyatt member of that helps in anyway?

sorry about this post when I clearly haven’t read anything. I need to check out soonish.

Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thatflyer
Sorry completely new to this chain and in a bit of a rush so just going to jump in and ask some stupid questions.

I am staying at a Westin and I didn’t realise but they are part of the Marriot group.
The people at at the desk asked if I am a Marriot or SPG member.
Is there a difference between the two? Who should I join?

I also did read that some loyalty companies give you auto gold status? Which are these?
I am BA Gold, EK gold, have an Amex Gold and am a Hyatt member of that helps in anyway?

Sorry about this post when I clearly haven’t read anything. I need to check out soonish.
Marriott took over SPG. So now are 1 company and 1 loyalty program (Bonvoy)
Were you a member of Marriott or SPG loyalty programs? [Programs have merged]
https://meetmarriottbonvoy.marriott.com/

All the brands ( a lot of them) at the bottom of https://www.marriott.com/default.mi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriott_International (brands not updated)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 23, 2019 at 6:22 pm
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

EK used to offer SPG Gold to Plat status if I can recall, but since the merger, that is now gone.

The only way to get matched status with Bonvoy is probably holding the Amex Plat card, you get instant gold.
Or sign up for the AMEX Luxury card, used to be SPG luxury ($450 AF), you get instant gold holding the card, and they match you to Plat if you meet $75k spend.
Or hit 1k with UA, I think they offer you gold or silver with Bonvoy, can't remember the details.

Joining either one doesn't matter now, it's all Marriott Bonvoy now. Make sure you join and give your member ID before you check out, that way you can credit your elite night and points for your stay.

Edit: Just realized this, the benefits for some of the legacy Emirates and SPG perks remained.. So maybe if you connect your Emirates member ID, you can get free late check out and earn miles per USD on top of bonvoy points.
Earn with Emirates.
  • Emirates Skywards Silver, Gold and Platinum members earn 1 Skywards Mile per US$1 (on top of points) spent on all eligible stays at Marriott Bonvoy hotels and resorts worldwide.1
  • Emirates Skywards Gold and Platinum members enjoy additional benefits at Marriott Bonvoy hotels, including 4pm Late Checkout,2 access to the Elite check-in line3 and complimentary in-room internet access.
Read more here..
https://your-world-rewards.marriott.com/
Mwenenzi likes this.

Last edited by exploreaswego; Mar 23, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
Or hit 1k with UA, I think they offer you gold or silver with Bonvoy
Anything Gold or higher on UA gets you Bonvoy Gold.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
Thanks all for the quick replies. Helped immensely ....I will do as you suggest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.