Wiki Posts
Search

Bye Bye Lloyds Amex

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Bye Bye Lloyds Amex

Ok this is just awful, the timing is terrible.
I get an Amex platinum last week, then lloyds writes me a letter to tell me bye bye Avios Rewards Credit Cards, to be replaced with a Mastercard with 2.99% transaction fees and a joke of avios!
I don't really care about the Avios, but I certainly care about the 2.99% exchange rate fee.
So I applied for a Tandem card and got rejected even though my Experian rating is 999, most likely due to me applying for credit last week!

So that's it then, bye bye Lloyds Avios Duo.
FYI, the new rate with the rip off Mastercard they will send is 2 Avios for every 5GBP eligible spend.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Keep the Lloyds and get a curve card or Revolut
TheChangingMan likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
It's only a 500 GBP a month transaction free, that's peanuts.
Anyway, just applied for a Experian Clarity card, they just approved me, so I dodged a bullet for now!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
You can bump up the MasterCard rate to 0.5 avios per Ł if you open a Club Lloyds account. A fee-free card with 0.5 avios per pound is pretty good - the same as HSBC Premier but without the tricky eligibility criteria.

I will miss those Lloyds cards (and the upgrade voucher), but it's not the end of the world.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Ok this is just awful, the timing is terrible.
I get an Amex platinum last week, then lloyds writes me a letter to tell me bye bye Avios Rewards Credit Cards, to be replaced with a Mastercard with 2.99% transaction fees and a joke of avios!
I don't really care about the Avios, but I certainly care about the 2.99% exchange rate fee.
So I applied for a Tandem card and got rejected even though my Experian rating is 999, most likely due to me applying for credit last week!

So that's it then, bye bye Lloyds Avios Duo.
FYI, the new rate with the rip off Mastercard they will send is 2 Avios for every 5GBP eligible spend.
Why is it a rip-off? I thought there was no annual fee on the new Lloyds Avios Mastercard? Yes, they've changed their T&Cs which may or may not suit everyone but surely you'd just use another card if the new features are no longer to your liking?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Not so sure I will miss the card much. Yes, I took the opening bonus and earned 2 vouchers but the hassle associated with getting the avios to credit correctly or even at all initially for the nearly 2 years I had it are things I am glad to be rid of. In May last year I was promised that it would all be sorted "soon" and that I would be given a one-off "goodwill" bonus as compensation. No end of calling and writing has resulted in that actually happening.

Lloyds are a complete shambles in my book.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:57 am

There's no annual fee on the new cards but foreign transactions are no longer free. I use the BA amex card so the Lloyds one was for places that didn't take amex and using abroad.

I also got declined for the tandem one. I think they probably want people who don't pay off their cards each month. So I have now got a Halifax card. No avios of course, but no foreign transaction fees, which is worth more than the avios ever were.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
I like Curve as they do not hold any money and Revolut as you can lock in exchange rates. I have a Clarity too - just in case.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:16 am

For balance these changes are an improvement for me.

I hold the BA Amex and the Lloyds mastercard for where they don’t take Amex / PayPal.

Sure it was handy having it few free overseas but the enhanced Avios for Uk spend for me outweighs that.

Just goes to show one person’s rip off is another’s genuine enhancement
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:14 am

My husband has this card, and has just received the letter. How do we see the details of his outstanding voucher now - his avios.com log-in is now defunct and they don’t show on his ba.com account. Related, but how do we see whether he can still earn another one before his card expires? #veryconfused

Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by aristoph
My husband has this card, and has just received the letter. How do we see the details of his outstanding voucher now - his avios.com log-in is now defunct and they don’t show on his ba.com account. Related, but how do we see whether he can still earn another one before his card expires? #veryconfused

Thanks.
I believe you'll need to call in BA, as the voucher details no longer show online anywhere.

You can earn a voucher once a year, counting from the anniversary date of opening your account. This darte is not published anywhere online - here you'll need to call Lloyds and ask for this date. If the voucher you got is prior to this date, you still have a few more weeks to earn another one.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
I've still not had my letter

These cards has saved me a fortune in FX fees over the years- the voucher was never the reason to hold them
twincheeks likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:22 am

Good news is there’s plenty of fx fee free cards still on the market.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by lizban
Good news is there’s plenty of fx fee free cards still on the market.

...but not delivering 1.25avios/Ł......
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
I've still not had my letter

These cards has saved me a fortune in FX fees over the years- the voucher was never the reason to hold them
No letter here either. Lloyds call centre said the process would last till June/July and kinda hoping I'm on the last batch...
Gastrocnemius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.