Wiki Posts
Search

AF/DL Ticket swap

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA PP
AF/DL Ticket swap

This may be a stupid question, but my company booked me a J fare ticket JFK-CDG on Air France and I'm trying to figure out if there's any way possible for me to swap that to a Delta ticket instead to get the max MQD's for that ticket. The MQD's I'll receive otherwise are far less than what is being paid for the ticket.

Not sure if this is possible, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:03 pm

Be careful as your employer will be notified of any change you make.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Ticket doesn't matter, marketing of flight does. The flight you're on would need to be sold as for example DL1015 codeshare operated by AF flight number, etc to earn MQD per dollat spent.

Don't forget MQD on partner coded are percent of distance flown, not percent of what was paid. Bring up, as lots of people confuse this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
For me, in the past when there’s been a schedule change, the issuing carrier has changed all on its own
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
If the fare still exists with DL marketed tickets, you may get a sympathetic agent who will reprice and waive change fees
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So you've calculated it out based on DL's earning charts, and you're positive that you'll come out better on DL? It can be unpredictable.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Don't forget MQD on partner coded are percent of distance flown, not percent of what was paid. Bring up, as lots of people confuse this.
Originally Posted by hotturnip
So you've calculated it out based on DL's earning charts, and you're positive that you'll come out better on DL? It can be unpredictable.
A quick check shows that AF business class earns 40% distance as MQD, and JFK-CDG is 7270 miles round trip, coming in at $2908 MQD. Of course only OP knows what his ticket cost, and only DL and the employer travel agency knows what it costs as a DL marketed flight, but I'm not seeing anything Skyteam for less than $2900 on Google flights through the summer.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, from what I can tell, this is a $10k plus ticket in J, booked with AF. So while I think I'll get the same MQM and miles, I won't get the full $10k MQD, and rather receive the $2980.

Basically just trying to get the full worth of the MQD by rebooking on DL, even though the flight is on AF metal.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by infmedic
Yeah, from what I can tell, this is a $10k plus ticket in J, booked with AF. So while I think I'll get the same MQM and miles, I won't get the full $10k MQD, and rather receive the $2980.

Basically just trying to get the full worth of the MQD by rebooking on DL, even though the flight is on AF metal.
How are you coming up with $10k? Even for last minute RT that sounds awfully high.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
You can only do this if part of the itinerary involves delta metal. If it's a "pure" AF ticket it won't work based on my experience, though it's still worth asking since the TATL JV has gotten more intense over the years, and the US DM desk always says "DL/KL/AF Diamond medallion desk"...
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mayhem
You can only do this if part of the itinerary involves delta metal. If it's a "pure" AF ticket it won't work based on my experience, though it's still worth asking since the TATL JV has gotten more intense over the years, and the US DM desk always says "DL/KL/AF Diamond medallion desk"...
Under the JV and the agreement DL have to handle AF/KL tickets this isn't the case. The question is if the fare allows the other carrier code. Not all fares allow the codeshare number to be used. Generally speaking for TATL segments without connections this isn't an issue for DL/AF/KL fares. What couldn't be done is ticket say SAT-JFK by itself as an AF codeshare. Then would be getting into legal issues. JFK-CDG is international, and thus has no issues.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Under the JV and the agreement DL have to handle AF/KL tickets this isn't the case. The question is if the fare allows the other carrier code. Not all fares allow the codeshare number to be used. Generally speaking for TATL segments without connections this isn't an issue for DL/AF/KL fares. What couldn't be done is ticket say SAT-JFK by itself as an AF codeshare. Then would be getting into legal issues. JFK-CDG is international, and thus has no issues.
So you're saying it's possible to switch the ticket code, because of the JV? Should I call the diamond desk to see what kind of magic they can work?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM
How are you coming up with $10k? Even for last minute RT that sounds awfully high.
In general or out of ATL specifically? I consistently get a 10-12K TATL J fare out of MSP by omitting a Saturday night stay, even with 21+ day advance purchase.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chack22

In general or out of ATL specifically? I consistently get a 10-12K TATL J fare out of MSP by omitting a Saturday night stay, even with 21+ day advance purchase.
I mean for the specific ticket in question. I'm betting its isnt amywhere near $10k, unless OP has pulled up the receipt online. It sounds like hes just guessing.

OP, go online to airfrance.com and pull up the receipt. You can also call DL who handle Air France in the US and ask. This is what the ticket cost. If it doesn't show a cost then the ticket is an exception fare and would earn the same way even if DL coded.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
The real question is whether it was booked directly with an airline or through a company's travel agency. I tried to do this with a KE flight last year and they said I would have had to have the travel agent from the company rebook it; Delta couldn't take it over and KE basically laughed and said that's not their problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.