Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Re-securing Platinum Elite

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Re-securing Platinum Elite

A dozen or so nights short of recapturing PE Status. Am I able to book any Marriott family property & secure/pay with a credit card without actually physically checking in/out or is my actual presence required?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:35 am

Does your membership year not end on the same date as everyone else’s?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You need to stay and pay to get nights credit according to the T&C, so yes you must show up.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Am I able to book any Marriott family property & secure/pay with a credit card without actually physically checking in/out or is my actual presence required?
Worth pausing for a moment to consider what would happen if Marriott allowed everyone to earn elite night credits by booking and pre-paying at the cheapest property in the whole world, and then not showing up ....
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You need to stay and pay to get nights credit according to the T&C, so yes you must show up.
Noted. Will arrange a little side trip in proximity of my home territory. Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by DpchMd
Does your membership year not end on the same date as everyone else’s?
The timing of the question does seem odd - is OP already looking to qualify for 2020?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Worth pausing for a moment to consider what would happen if Marriott allowed everyone to earn elite night credits by booking and pre-paying at the cheapest property in the whole world, and then not showing up ....
They'd sell a lot more rooms and make some money doing it.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
They'd sell a lot more rooms and make some money doing it.
They'd sell a lot more cheap rooms doing it, and then have to pay out benefits at much more expensive properties.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:43 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Have you done an event for 10 nights this year? Do you have the Marriott AMEX for 15 nights?

Did you get the 1+1 promo? If yes, book 6 nights and get your 12. If not, not sure what to advise.

Last year I knew I was going to be short. I booked 6 nights, spent the first night there and checked out using the mobile app. That could be something you could do.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Handcake
Last year I knew I was going to be short. I booked 6 nights, spent the first night there and checked out using the mobile app. That could be something you could do.
No experience with this, personally, but most here report that housekeeping will at some point report the room unoccupied and a forced check-out will take place. Obviously you got away with it but there's some risk involved with such an approach.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
No experience with this, personally, but most here report that housekeeping will at some point report the room unoccupied and a forced check-out will take place. Obviously you got away with it but there's some risk involved with such an approach.
I would imagine most stays under a week would be okay. Depends on what the hotel's force room check policy is. You can easily do 4-5 nights with a green choice / DND no problem unless you're at a hotel with ridiculous "check every 3 days" policy (which is rare).
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
They'd sell a lot more cheap rooms doing it, and then have to pay out benefits at much more expensive properties.
How is that result different from someone staying in the rooms, other than their profit is even higher with a no-show?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
How is that result different from someone staying in the rooms, other than their profit is even higher with a no-show?
because it's not feasible for a lot of people to fly to China to stay at a 30USD/night hotel and stay there for two weeks to enjoy free suite upgrades at 1000USD/night hotels, which will LOSE marriott money, since those rooms are now unavailable to paying customers?

most people who get to enjoy the latter pay far more than 30USD/night for it.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:43 pm

I guess the point is that if it were an option, a lot of members would gladly fork over cash for low-rate no-shows and then reap the benefits in higher-rate properties. Nowhere near as many folks will actually board an international flight and actually check into a low-end property in a poor country.

I don't know about you, but I prefer that the elites who share my level to have actually earned vs. purchased it cheaply through gimmicks and loopholes (really glad they closed down that wide-open meeting thing).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
to quote The Incredible's Villains..... when everybody is an elite, nobody is

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.