Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

i finally realized why economy is so bad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Not being a big person, the airplane seats (even after shrinkage) aren't so bad. But now, to not be a jerk, I have a seat reclined in front of me but cannot recline my seat (when I did the man asked me to not, given his legs already don't have enough space).

I guess this is why flying up front is better. You don't have to debate whether to be nice or take up the space you are supposedly allotted.
sdadept and Donald.Trump like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
so this leaves you with options, based on what kind of person you are. you can recline anyway and take the space you are entitled to, feelings of the guy behind you be damned. you could also have asked the person in front of you to not recline.

FWIW I haven't found the domestic F seats to be much better from a front to back legroom and comfort standpoint if the person in front of me reclines. the seat width and padding is great but if someone reclines fully you're still penned in there
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gitismatt
so this leaves you with options, based on what kind of person you are. you can recline anyway and take the space you are entitled to, feelings of the guy behind you be damned. you could also have asked the person in front of you to not recline.

FWIW I haven't found the domestic F seats to be much better from a front to back legroom and comfort standpoint if the person in front of me reclines. the seat width and padding is great but if someone reclines fully you're still penned in there
I don't feel it is fair to ask the person in front of me not to recline.

The main issue is using a laptop. If the person reclines, it is truly difficult to use a laptop, unless you also recline.
boss315 and Donald.Trump like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:28 pm

If the person’s legs behind you have no space, you’d be physically unable to recline.
That you reclined means his legs did have enough space. It may not be much space, but it’s all that he is entitled to.
If somebody were to ask me not to recline, I’d decline politely:

”You have my sympathies, but the recline is a part of my seat and I’d like to use it. Perhaps you could switch seats with someone?”
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
How many planes in DLs fleet have seats that pivot at the bottom, moving the seat bottom forward as you recline? I'm a tall guy, and I feel like I can't recline in Y because it usually puts my knees into the seat in front of me.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I would recline and note that my back can not take these !@#$ seats.
spamkiller and Donald.Trump like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:04 pm

LOVE recline threads!!! Especially ones masquerading as threads dumping on economy minus.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
That's why I love exit rows, people in front of me can't recline.
kettle1 and Donald.Trump like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by DCP2016
That's why I love exit rows, people in front of me can't recline.
Don't sit in the exit row on a Delta A319/320 cause you will not be reclining either.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Oh come on, let's keep going. I feel like it's really been far too long since we've had a seat recline argument leading to thread lock down.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bloc0102
How many planes in DLs fleet have seats that pivot at the bottom, moving the seat bottom forward as you recline?
None that I can think of (and I've flown everything but the A220) but I do know what you speak of from other carriers.

Yes, jdrtravel, this thread has abundant potential to go sideways and be locked.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
None that I can think of (and I've flown everything but the A220) but I do know what you speak of from other carriers.

Yes, jdrtravel, this thread has abundant potential to go sideways and be locked.
Premature evacuation is imminent!

They’ll [sic] never stand for a good recline debate.

Especially as we all know, it’s just self centered and pure arrogance to recline in economy minus on a domestic flight.

[That usually does it.]
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by bloc0102
How many planes in DLs fleet have seats that pivot at the bottom, moving the seat bottom forward as you recline? I'm a tall guy, and I feel like I can't recline in Y because it usually puts my knees into the seat in front of me.

739?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL - PM
I’m going to get this IBTL and disagree with the OP. While the recline situation is definitely unpleasant, as is the lack of legroom, to me the worst thing about flying economy is the shoulder room. I’m an average sized guy but my typical 19 inch shoulder width doesn’t work well with 17 inch wide seats. Put me next to another average sized guy and we both have to scrunch to fit into the seats.
strickerj, TetonSig and ExArkie like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whatever happened to those thingamajigs that prevented seats from reclining?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.